Saturday six - ...since nobody did a friday five

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:47 am

Apologies if any of these are repeats of old Friday Fives - I've missed a few recently...

1. How many goals do you see each of our strikers scoring this season?

2. Of all the uncapped English players on our books, who - if any - do you see as potential future contenders for the national side?

3. Who, if anyone, from our current first team squad do you think will still be playing for the club in 10 years time?

4. How does our midfield rank on a European level right now? Who - if anyone - has a better midfield quartet than LFC?

5. With important European fixtures coming so early in the summer, would you rather the club didn't have to compete for the Community Shield?

6. Compile a top 5 "Greatest LFC Goal Celebrations". :D
ivor_the_injun

Postby coddy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:05 pm

1) Bellamy 20+, Crouch 10-15, Fowler 10-15, Garcia 10

2) Pennant, Thats if Lennon doesnt hog the right wing. Carson has a good chance as well.

3) Stevie G, Steve Finnan, Robbie (as a coach)

4) Possibly Barcalona are better, AC Milan had a great Mid but i guess they'll lose a lot of players. We must be at least top 5

5) Community Shield is a little pointless, but we get to make our mark on Cheatski and its another needed 90 mins for some first team players.

6) i) Vladimir Smicer in CL Final 2005
    ii) Fowlers snort against Blue noses
    iii) Cisse's against Manure last season
    iv) Stevie G's in CL Final 2005
    v)  Mikey Owens in FA Cup Final 2001
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:38 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Apologies if any of these are repeats of old Friday Fives - I've missed a few recently...

2. Of all the uncapped English players on our books, who - if any - do you see as potential future contenders for the national side?

3. Who, if anyone, from our current first team squad do you think will still be playing for the club in 10 years time?

4. How does our midfield rank on a European level right now? Who - if anyone - has a better midfield quartet than LFC?

5. With important European fixtures coming so early in the summer, would you rather the club didn't have to compete for the Community Shield?

1. Crouch 20, Bellamy 18, Fowler 12, Garcia 12. I actually think Crouch will score a hatful this season, provided he gets the correct service. If Kuyt arrives and Crouch consequently plays less, then Bellamy will top score.

2. Probably Scott Carson. If Robinson gets injured we have a serious lack of quality goalkeepers in this country. Pennant could be on the fringes if he has a good season but I still see him behind Lennon, SWP and even Gerrard in the pecking order to play on the right for England.

3. Reina.

4. IMO we've got the best midfield in this country bar none right now. On a European level only AC Milan (Gattuso, Pirlo, Seedorf) and Barcelona (Xavi, Deco, Iniesta) can really compete with us in the engine room. Our wide players still have something to prove.

5. I said in my introduction to the Community Shield thread that I think the game has run it's course, especially when we have important CL and Premiership games coming up. Having said that, any chance to get one over the Chavs is worth it.

6. Dunno about the top 5 but there have been some pretty god damn awful ones, notably heskey's dj celebration :D

the best for me has to be robbie "copying rigobert song's celebration from training" against the blueshite :oops: or gerrard running down the touchline at the pit with his hand to his ear. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:51 pm

ivor_the_injun wrote:Apologies if any of these are repeats of old Friday Fives - I've missed a few recently...

1. Even with Crouch getting more game time than Robbie I cant honestly see him scoring no more than 14 goals. As for Robbie I'll go for 12, only because I see him behind the other strikers for a starting place. Bellamy, okay I'll go out on a bit of a limb and say 18.

2. The young lad Anderson could be a possibility and I think Pennant could still earn a cap (if he already hasnt) U21's I think. Maybe Carson to if he hasnt.

3. TBH the way football is these days with money and contracts etc I cant say with hand on heart anyone will be playing for the club in 10.

4. With Gonzalez, Alonso, Sissoko and Gerrard on the right I'd say we have one of the top European midfields in todays game. I wouldnt know who to compare with, but definately three out of our four midfielders would walk into most top teams accross europe. Gonzalez isnt proven yet but if he turns out to be another hit as in the same mould as Alonso and Sissoko then we definately would have arguably the best quartet accross europe.

5. No. I like tradition and I like the " curtain raiser " it might mean nothing but its like trying to understand women, its gotta be done.

6.  ( Not so much a goal celebration) Dudeks save against Shevchenko, them all running over, at that point to I was going chicken oriental (mental) great celebrations !!
    Fowler ' on the line '
    Gerrard against Everton at Woodison
    Fowler ' for the dockers'
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:54 pm

Kuit - 20 , Fowler - 15,  Bellamy- 15,  Crouch - 10 

David Martin,Paul Anderson, Jermain Pennant

Agger, Palletta, Anderson I think these three have the quality to break into the team over the next 12 months and become star players for us.

Certainly in the top four in Europe. Barca and Chelsea perhaps have the best(If you had said midfield trio - Liverpool would be the best. )Maybe if Aurelio plays Left Midfield and Gerrard RM we may even have the best quartet.

I think its a great preliminary to the season ,but with important qualifiers to win its more of a distraction to the players. To the fans its a great chance to see the team win an early trophy. It can be used as part of pre-season and as such is much less of a problem than playing in the World Club Championship (which was a real problem last season)

6. Compile a top 5 "Greatest LFC Goal Celebrations".   
a/ Vlad Smicer CL FINAL - I can never watch his celebration without laughing as the feelings come flooding back.To me it sums up what a magical day that really was.

b/M.Owen FA cup against Arsenal. He just looked so happy.

c/Any of Kenny Dalglish. his face used to just light up when he scored.

d/Gerrard FA cup. Patting his name on his back and the commentator saying we know the name son.

e/A Hansen against Manure in FA cup semi. He ran so fast the other players couldnt catch him to        celebrate with him. Magical moment.
account deleted by request

Postby Rafa D » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:09 pm

coddy wrote:3) Stevie G, Steve Finnan, Robbie (as a coach)

Steve gerrard will be 36, far too old for his current style of play, and Finnan will be 39 FFS!!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:25 pm

1) If were talking league goals then I think that a new man (Possibly Kuyt) would be targeting 20 or there abouts, as would Fowler, Bellamy and Crouch would be targeting 15 each. But that is if they were playing first team all the time which they wont. If we presume that a new man would be first choice, I would like him to get 15-20 league goals, and if Bellamy was alongside him he should look for 15. And as back up strikers Fowler and Crouch would be trying to get double figures but it would be difficult considering they would be limited to playing from the bench and when rotation occurs.

2) It is difficult to say really, depends who can play first team football in the Premiership. Pennant is an obvious one, if he plays a good amount of games and does well for us he will get his chance. Carson is another who may get a chance but he does have Robinson ahead of him who will be hard to dislodge. Maybe Anderson? You just never know really.

3) Sissoko, I think he could stay here for the next 10 years and become a bit of legend.

4) Depends who you consider as our midfield? Sissoko and Alonso in the centre with Gerrard on the right is difficult to top, but maybe the left is a bit questionable at the moment, and then you have to consider that Gerrard will most likely play in the centre so that brings Pennant on the right and he isn’t really a world beater.

5) The community Shield is a really useful exercise if you ask me. The Champions League qualifiers obviously take priority but the game against Chelsea will really help the boys with their fitness. No matter what the nature of the game, playing against Chelsea they will be motivated and running to the maximum and fully switched on mentally, it will be a work out that many of teams will not have before the league season starts, I think we go into the season well prepared.

6) No.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:27 pm

1. Bellamy - around 15, Crouch - 8-ish, Fowler - 8-ish, Garcia - 8-ish.

2. Of all uncapped English players, I would think that Pennant (has he got a cap?) has a healthy chance to enter the national side due to his immense talent, although he would need to sort out his disciplinary problems. Perhaps Carson, Warnock, or even Hobbs might get a chance in the future.

3. Perhaps Alonso and Sissoko will be the core of our midfield in 10 years time. Some of the young talents such as Agger, Palleta, Aurelio, Pongolle (if he doesn't mind being loaned out for a couple more seasons), Carson, etc, can be essential to our team in the future.

4. Objectively speaking, I think Liverpool has one of the best midfield quartet in Europe, with maybe a few teams amongst us, such as Chelsea (there's no denying) and Barcelona.

5. Nope, I would never give up any opportunities to win silverware. No matter what it is. It's only a one off game after all and we have a relatively big squad so we should be fine.

6. Hmmm, I don't tend to remember player celebrations a lot but I'd say a couple remains fondly in my mind. Who can forget Djibril's triple back flips or what-not in his celebrations? I also like Kewell's celebrations during his short haired era where he dives down on his knees.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby coddy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:02 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:

Steve gerrard will be 36, far too old for his current style of play, and Finnan will be 39 FFS!!

yeah and??? Teddy is still about (and still playing 90 mins) and hes 40!!
YNWA Drummerphil RIP

Immortalised by his own Legend. God Speed.

End Transmission.....
coddy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:01 pm

coddy wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:

yeah and??? Teddy is still about (and still playing 90 mins) and hes 40!!

Yeah, its normally strikers that last longest as they hold the least responsibility up front. There is no way Gerrard or Finnan would still be playing at 40 in their currnet position.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion