Theo walcott - The lad must be gutted...

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby Chrissy » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:10 pm

I am suprised and disappointed at Mr Sven. He should have started Theo Walcott yesterday, as it was a game that whatever result didnt really matter, and he should have definately come on when Owen got crocked (no offence to Crouchy). If he didnt get played in the group stages including a no pressure match, what hope has he got of playing in the knockouts, and if we get theer, the quarters, semis and final? Whats the point in taking a player if your not going to use him. Just as with Carrick etc.

Come on Sven, you shocked us and chose him, so bloody play him!!!
Chrissy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 pm

its serious stuff now in the w/cup, so when is walcott gonna make an entry?

It will, as many of you lot have said already, a complete waste of time taking him if he aint gonna play?

Mind you, i reckon he'll get a run out against Portugal, if things are going our way. Thats Sven for ya.

I bet Defoe and Bent are angry, even if they dont show it to the media
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Sven's been havin' a go at the press today saying that they are trying to undermine his tactics by going on about how boring they've played upto now. Well fair enough they have been poor so far but they HAVE reached the 1/4 finals without having any real scares in terms of getting beaten, but when you go out on a limb and pick an untested teenager at top flight domestic footie for the biggest tournament in the world and then refuse to play him when you've got the chance is just asking for trouble. TBH i wouldn't have taken Walcott to this tournament as a part of the playing staff, if the rules allow it then take him along just for the experience of mixing with the squad players at a big tournament.
The poor lad must've been on top of the world when he was picked for the squad but I bet it'll be like a swift kick in the knackers for him if he doesn't get on to the pitch before the end of the tournament.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby clik » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:41 pm

Svens way of sticking two fingers up at those who have criticised him why on earth would you take a player who has never played against top class players [except in training]
:angry:
Dreams do come true......Istanbul 2005
clik

Postby 2520years » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:52 pm

IMO he wouldn't have played Bent/Defoe/Johnson either, but that wouldn't have seemed so bad I suppose.  Would people have been asking 'what's the point of taking Darren Bent and not playing him?'  I don't think many would.  No-one's been saying that about Jermaine Jenas, for example (I know the striker situation is slightly different).  I think Sven would have played 4-5-1 anyway against Ecuador, though maybe he'd have played Defoe in the Sweden game when Owen was injured.  Who knows?

The Brazilians often take kids to the World Cup without intending to play them, although the difference is that we were short of strikers as it was.  I don't disagree with taking Walcott, but maybe another striker could gone in place of someone else.  If we get past Portugal, few will care.
My earliest memory.
2520years

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion