Houllier to become new oz boss?

International Football/Football World Wide - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:37 pm

from Sky Sports:

Gerard Houllier is still in talks with Australian officials about taking over from Guus Hiddink.

Current Australia boss Hiddink will quit his role after the World Cup and take charge of Russia.

Houllier had been in talks with the Football Federation of Australia over the job, talks which have been put on hold until after the World Cup finishes.

Chairman of the FFA Frank Lowy is desperate to secure a big-name replacement for Hiddink to build on the Dutchman's success.

The role includes living in Australia for six months, while helping to develop the Australian game and the revamped A-league.

The next test for Australia after the World Cup is the Asian Cup qualifiers, starting with Kuwait on August 16.

FFA chief executive John O'Neill admits that an appointment by that game is unlikely, when current assistant Graham Arnold will be in charge.

"Talks are continuing with Gerard Houllier, as they are with a number of interested parties," O'Neill said

"But we don't want anything to distract the team from what is happening on the pitch at the moment and I doubt very much we will have someone in post by the Kuwait game."

---------------

Well we all know the guy from his time with Liverpool. But what do you Aussies reckon. Would you have him?

I personally think that he will not be as good as Hiddink. Although Houllier has been successfull in france with Lyon we all know what he was like toeards the end of his stay with Liverpool.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:06 pm

I'd be very surprised if Houllier left Lyon so soon. He's only been there a season and has strenghtened the team as well. Still I think it will be a good move for Gerard and it will be a new challenge, as he hasn't been in International management for quite sometime. I'm not sure the Aussies will like watching defensive football tho.  :D
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:31 pm

0asis wrote:I'd be very surprised if Houllier left Lyon so soon. He's only been there a season and has strenghtened the team as well. Still I think it will be a good move for Gerard and it will be a new challenge, as he hasn't been in International management for quite sometime. I'm not sure the Aussies will like watching defensive football tho.  :D

I think he may divide his time between club and country like Guus Hiddink does with PSV and Australia. So he is incharge of both.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:39 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
0asis wrote:I'd be very surprised if Houllier left Lyon so soon. He's only been there a season and has strenghtened the team as well. Still I think it will be a good move for Gerard and it will be a new challenge, as he hasn't been in International management for quite sometime. I'm not sure the Aussies will like watching defensive football tho.  :D

I think he may divide his time between club and country like Guus Hiddink does with PSV and Australia. So he is incharge of both.

Yeah but where would Houllier find 6 months from to live in Australia if his still at Lyon.

I cant see this happening to be honest.  Lyon have already started signing players and identifying targets.
puroresu

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Yeah that's true but that might be overwhelming for someone who has suffered a heart attack.
48-1119859832

Postby adamnbarrett » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:56 pm

Yeah but where would Houllier find 6 months from to live in Australia if his still at Lyon.

I cant see this happening to be honest.  Lyon have already started signing players and identifying targets.

Guus Hiddink did it fine. Also I don't think it's a job requirement to live in the country you manage for 6 months. Hiddink has lived in Holland all season and only travelled when Australia have played. It is certainly doable. Just because he may become a manager of a national team it doesn't mean he will leave Lyon. As I've said Hiddink is the manager of PSV and Australia, not just one. If houllier does become Oz manager I think he will do the same.

but that might be overwhelming for someone who has suffered a heart attack.

That is a brilliant point Oasis. Whether he can cope with travelling such long distances.

IMO I don't think he will be the Aussie manager because of this.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:33 am

Goes without saying that next person in the job is going to in the difficult position of trying to fill Guus shoes. While normally a European based boss wouldnt be much of a problem as most of Socceroos are plying the trade in Europe. The trouble with getting one who is juggling a club side now is we are taking part of Asian Cup competition which will mean a lot more travelling/gaming.
Houllier like anybody his appointment would bring both pros and cons, though he  wouldnt be my preferred choice.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:34 pm

I'd prefer to see Martin O'Neill than Houllier as the new national coach.   I think you might find that Australia may have a unique system where the assistant coach (probably the current assistant to Guus, Graham Arnold) might take the Asia commitments except where there is FIFA approved breaks would allow the new coach to attend.

In the mean time the European based coach would conduct camps for the European based Austrlaian players.

I just hope it won't be Houllier.   ???

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:32 pm

0asis wrote:Yeah that's true but that might be overwhelming for someone who has suffered a heart attack.

come on mate ffs, as much as i dislike ged i at least know that he did not suffer a heart attack. his heart is fine. there was a problem with a valve leading to the heart that had to be repaired and thats all. too many people on here still drone on about geds heart attack when he didnt have one.

there is a major difference between his illness and a heart attack, its like saying i have bird flu when i sneeze     :D

on a serious note, i feel sorry for aussies if this man is allowed anywhere near your team with his petty need to be a dictator and his defensive strategy that he was too stubborn to change
112-1077774096

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:16 pm

i think appointing houllier would be disasterous for the aussie`s, the aussies just dont have the defenders to invite the other teams on to them whilst looking for the break.
the aussies like to turn games into fast paced free for alls where they take teams out of their comfort zones but if they sat back and tried to defend like hypia and henchoz they`d concede cricket scores against good sides.
the likes of viduka would end up like litmanen - a square peg in a round hole.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Sparky » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:33 pm

apparently he is trying to see if cheyrou, traore and bican have australian grand parents to influence his decision!
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby babu » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:55 am

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:38 am

According to press reports here today , Houllier is looking less likely as FFA would like the coach to based in Australia for the A-league season. He also seems to have priced himself out of the running as well
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 am

laza wrote:According to press reports here today , Houllier is looking less likely as FFA would like the coach to based in Australia for the A-league season. He also seems to have priced himself out of the running as well

I'm all for greed in this case...I think Houllier should ask a lot more just to make sure he isn't selected.  :D 

As most of our first team players are Europe based, I think a European based coach (and assistant) for camps, tournaments, friendlies, etc. would be the best option. At the same time an Australian based assistant coach should be appointed to cover the A-league season and the development of a home based second or youth national squad would be the best idea. The assistant coach would be a full time position and he would be required to travel to Europe as needed.

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:25 am

peewee wrote:
0asis wrote:Yeah that's true but that might be overwhelming for someone who has suffered a heart attack.

there is a major difference between his illness and a heart attack, its like saying i have bird flu when i sneeze     :D

well you do live in Thailand, and its rife there  :laugh:

i hear that you door to your office has changed from room 51HN, to room H5N1 :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Football World Wide - General Discussion