Disturbing news for ladies - Icm poll

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:56 pm

an ICM poll in the news showed this below:

Women 'get blame for being raped' Monday November 21, 11:35 AM     

A third of people in the UK believe a woman is partially or completely to blame for being raped if she has behaved in a flirtatious manner, according to "shocking" research.

More than a quarter also believe a woman is at least partly responsible for being raped if she wears sexy or revealing clothing, or is drunk, the ICM study found.

One in five thinks a woman is partly to blame if it is known she has many sexual partners, while more than a third believe she is responsible to some degree

ADVERTISEMENT

if she has clearly failed to say "no" to the man.
In each of these scenarios a slightly greater proportion of men than women held these views - except when it came to being drunk, when it was equal. In fact, more women (5%) than men (3%) thought a woman was "totally responsible" for being raped if she was intoxicated.

Support groups described the findings as "alarming" and "appalling".

The national charity Victim Support urged criminal justice professionals and healthcare workers to "consider how best to educate people about the terrible impact of rape, with a view to changing these attitudes."

The opinion poll, commissioned by Amnesty International, also revealed that the vast majority of the British population has no idea how many women are raped every year in the UK.

Almost all, 96%, of respondents said they either did not know the true extent of rape or thought it was far lower than the true figure.

Only 4% even thought the number of women raped exceeded 10,000. The number of recorded rapes in 2004/5 was more than 12,000 and the 2001 British Crime Survey estimated that just 15% of rapes come to the attention of the police.

Amnesty International UK director Kate Allen said the poll, part of its Stop Violence Against Women campaign, had uncovered "disturbing attitudes".

i'm sure the attitudes are shocking to most of us. what are your thoughts?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:58 pm

dumbfounded m8 :no  u sure they werent asking the rapists!?

Hows per blackie doin these days?
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:40 pm

per blackie??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:44 pm

i think he means purple aki :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:45 pm

Woollyback wrote:i think he means purple aki :D

no one is ever clear these days  :D

good afternoon woolly

whats your thoughts on this topic mate?
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:48 pm

Back in Hale village where i used to live he was known as pur Blackie! When we were kids we used to be sh!t scared of him! Last thing I heard, he's been put in jail but his last operating area was st helens watchin the kids do rugby. Seems like hes moving further and further away from tokky.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:51 pm

wrighty (not mark!) wrote:

Back in Hale village where i used to live he was known as pur Blackie! When we were kids we used to be sh!t scared of him! Last thing I heard, he's been put in jail but his last operating area was st helens watchin the kids do rugby. Seems like hes moving further and further away from tokky.

forgive me, but what has that got to do with the thread??, i'm struggling to find the link?     :help
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum