What is our target this season - A trophy for not conceding

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hobbes » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:07 am

We have not conceded a goal or a loss this season in the primiership. I read in the news that Chelsea is more to not conceding than winning a match. They want to maintain clean sheet.

Liverpool has been feeling happy for not conceding a goal too. But unlike Chelsea Liverpool are not scoring nor winning.

Maintaining clean sheet alone does not ensure a Championship place next season. And for sure it will not going to surrender the Primiership title to us back. It's the goal we score that counts. Its the win that matters.

We cannot be happy for earning 1 point and maintaining cleansheet. What do we want this season.? A championship place? Top 3? or Top 1? What is our target? Perharphs if there is a trophy for not conceding then we might go for it by playing a defensive kind of match.

Last year no doubt Chelsea lost only 1 match. This year they are trying to break Arsenal's record. They can do whatever they want to. I dont even care if they want to draw all matches.

Whereas Arsenal in continuing their record and eventualy conceding losses did score a huge number of goals more than Chelsea. Like wise they did accept more goals. Their win over other teams were like  3-2, 4-2, 4-1 and so. Chelsea 's win was only 1-0 and 2-1 or likewise.

Last season's table

GP   W   D    L     GS    GA   
1.   Chelsea  38   29   8    1    72    15 
2.   Arsenal   38   25   8    5    87    36 
3   Man Utd  38   22   11   5    58    26
4   Everton   38   18   7   13    45    46 
5   Liverpool  38   17   7   14    52   41

Chelsea wants record. They want to win in style. They dont want to let in goals. They choose to win in small margin. They feel 3 points is enough. Why trouble of scoring more than 1 and risking letting in goals. Obviously they scored 4 goals against weeker teams (no offence) but not against the rest.

I remember that once Liverpool's win over other teams were always talk of the town. The win was also in style. The goals were 3, 4, 5. Liverpool and even Man U for that matter had been previously trashed by 6 goals 7 goals.

Liverpool this year has not conceded. Are we following Chelsea's track. Is there a trophy for not conceding a loss/ a goal? Are going for it?. 

Rafa has said that the goals will come. I believe in that. Look at Newcastle. They've started to score. Sherer broke the spell. Owen followed.

But the way our game is going I reckon even if there is a goal it will be 1-0, or 2-1 and the most 3-1. I want o see Liverpool trash Chelsea 5-0. What we cant do it? We can if we play an attacking game. Play our strikers properly. We have strikers with records. Midfielders of international recognitions. Good Defenders and best Goal Keeper in Spain

Isnt this enough to beat Chelsea. How long should we wait to built a strong team. Charlton did well within 1 transfer window. How long do we need?

IMO we have what we need but the players lack creativity. If the players think and play they can do it. Gerrard in particular. He used to be a very temperemental player. Now he is thinking wise. He create chances. He improved his game with lots and lots of creativity. Ciise and Crouch too must use their head.

Garcia has the skills but no brains. If he continues to run and shoot like in Man U game, even if he plays with the best teams in the World (In fact Liverpool is the best team in the world, We are European Champions. Champion among the best team in Europe)  Garcia will bring the team down.

We must start winning in Liverpool style. We should not be worried about not conceding a goal. That's not practicle. But winning is practicle. Scoring is possible. So score and win. Let Chelsea day dream.
hobbes

Postby The_Rock » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:08 pm

I know the league table look somewhat disappointing... but...... guess we have to look at it this way. We only had one so-called easy game against sunderland. The rest were a lot tougher.

So...i say, lets wait until x'mas....we should have moved to at least a top 6 position by then (actually if we are not top 3 by x'mas...i would be disappointed).

If not....bring out the knives  :p
Last edited by The_Rock on Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:27 pm

can i ask suin people.Where is liverpoolfc tv channel on sky or satelite
joependo

Postby banana » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:02 pm

hobbes wrote:Isnt this enough to beat Chelsea. How long should we wait to built a strong team. Charlton did well within 1 transfer window. How long do we need?

Man relax. Charlton did well, i agree. But we can't buy players like that. Realistically how many players in the premiership would be able to strenghten our squad? 20 players or so? Then deduct all players from arsenal, chelsea and man u. How many left? 3-6 maybe? This is the reason why we have not been so successful. Rafa ain't stupid, and he has told us that he ain't lookin to buy mid table mediocricity.

The thing is if you try to buy the BEST player from a club like Valencia or Rome. They will resist. If you go for a LESSER player, you will get him. Charlton have bought lesser players, but they are no Liverpool and they only try to secure a mid table life in the premiership.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby teamleader1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:20 pm

Hobbes m8 I just cant understand this knee jerk reaction to the lack of goals after only 4 games-if we win the next 4 games 1-0 would everyone not be made up with a 12pt return regardless of the amount of goals scored -our 3 drawn games could have very easily been wins
I myself would be far more worried if we were conceding every game-
The goals will come m8
teamleader1

Postby tubby » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:01 pm

Your missing the point mate. Last season we couldnt compete properly away from home let alone against teams like Man Utd. On the weekend we were unlucky not to win. We are setting the foundations for which we are building on. Just becasue were not scoring 3 goals a game, this does not mean that we are not competeing. Would you rather we score 3 goals and concede 3 goals every game >
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Last year we lost a lot of games by the score of "1-0" and most of them were on the road. We had a horrible away form and we dropped points at home when we shouldn't had. Our goal is to change that this season.

Goals will come. Newcastle were in a drought but scored three goals in one game, so it shows that they will come sooner rather than later.

The next game will really test if we've improved our away form.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:59 pm

joependo wrote:can i ask suin people.Where is liverpoolfc tv channel on sky or satelite

You can ask all you like, but you wont find one cause we dont have one  :rasp
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hobbes » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:37 am

Goalless games..I would rather see Liverpool draw 3-3. Yes I like that. Because Liv would have displayed a wonderrful match to score the 3 goals. Whereas they Opposition whoever it is would have to fight us.

Its different from just scoring 1 goal and maintaining possession and counter attack and score 1 more (if there is a chance/ luck) - ala Chelsea.

Hey everyone is worried about the crowd in a game. If a team play Chelsea game, spectators wont like it. Soon everyone would be happy watching the game from TV. Which is not good for the lads & the club.

I say score goals. Dont worry about conceding. With that attitude our opponents will be wary of us. They would play a defensive game. We become stronger and stronger. I am the POWER!!!! :laugh:

Seriously.. we have to score. Dont worry about conceding. We cannot be afraid of counter attack and remain not attacking and  just maintain possession in the midfield.

Conceding doesnt mean we dont defend. We defend but we dont hesitate to attack.
hobbes

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion