A new star is born - His name is...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Erica » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:18 pm

RAFAEL  NADAL.

Last month in Rome I had the opportunity to attend the Tennis final in the Italian capital. (Football and tennis are my favourite sports to watch). It was the first time that I had seen Nadal in a live match, and I can tell you that the match was worth the money I paid. The other finalist was Guillermo Coria, an excellent Argentinian clay player. The match lasted five hours and fourteen minutes, and I must say that the last point that Nadal got, both players were running from side to side as if it were the first point of the match.
In Paris last Friday, Nadal beat R.Federer in four sets, and yesterday he did the same against another Argentinian to win Roland Garros.  I am sure that Federer today is a better tennis player than Nadal, but I can say that I had never seen a sportsman before with the spirit of Nadal. I think everybody will talk about him in the near future.
By the way, he says that he is not good on grass, but he enjoys it and is committed to learn. He has only played once on grass. It was two years ago in Wimblendon when he was 17. He won his first two matches to lose in the third round against Roddick.

Do you think this fellow could be good on grass in the following years or he will be just another Spaniard who are good on clay, but poor players on grass? I would appreciate your opinions of those people who like this sport. Thank you
Erica

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:21 pm

i watched him play in the french open and he did tear federer apart, altho federer was double faulting all over the shop. i also saw one of the best finals ive seen in years.

As for wimbledon, even Nadal himself has said that he isnt ready for grass yet. the guy is only 19 or something and needs to work a lot more on his serve. for double handed back hand shots tho there is already no one better.

He also looks a bit like milan baros which is equally bizarre.
This year at wimbledon he should do ok but id stick with someone like roddick mysel,f depending how he does at queens this week
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:28 pm

Just cus the underdog beats a big favourite, this does not mean he is the new star of the sport.

He will disappear soon enough.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Erica » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:01 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Just cus the underdog beats a big favourite, this does not mean he is the new star of the sport.

I do not think you are well informed. Nadal has won in a row the last five tournaments he has played beating all the best players in the world. Besides, last year, at the age of 18, and after 6 months being injured, he won the decisive point against Rodick to get the Davis Cup for Spain. Do you still think that is a fluke?
You may be right that he may disappear from the map in the near future, but the only thing that I am saying is that, right now, I have never seen any tennis player return the balls he returns.
By the way, yesterday Nadal was not the underdog, because many experts said before the tournament that nobody could beat the teenager on clay.
Erica

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:23 am

Nadal has sh*tloads of talent, and the skills are there, but it's dodgy ground to say any player is going to be this or that, as so many things can affect. I'd say he has the potential to be world no.1 for many years, but then how many tipped Hewitt for a similar achievement only for his form to nosedive? If Nadal can stay focused, committed, keep on improving, avoid injury and not rest on his laurels, then the chances are he will be in the top 5 consistently, and possibly no.1 for an extended length of time. However, Federrer looked unbeatable for months, and I don't think he's going to let anyone interrupt his stay as no1 for too long!!!!! We shall see, fellow tennis fans.....!!!!! :;):    btw, I really thought that Hennin-Hardienne would have made a real bastion of the no1 spot, but marriage and a small frame have prevented one of the most technically gifted players from reaching her potential. I really feel she's going to be a winner now and again, not dominating as she should. She's got the sweetest one-handed back hand!!!!! :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:25 am

And I think Nadal will struggle at Wimbledon, possibly for a few years at least. (Not seen him on grass, but doesn't look like he'd suit it to be fair.)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:20 am

Potential world number one, already the best player on clay probably.

He is an excellent player, with os much hear and determination. He has broekn many records already and is already one of the best players in the game at only 19 years of age.

He will definitely not disappear, he is an absolute class act.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:59 am

[Happy Birthday Scott you piece of sh1t ] :D
Last edited by A.B. on Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:58 am

ok then ???

:D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:25 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Just cus the underdog beats a big favourite, this does not mean he is the new star of the sport.

mate, stick to football :D
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum