Raffa shows whose the gaffa ! - Gerrard told the score

Please post your football related Polls in this forum

Postby Dalglish » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:16 am

Source :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4296669.stm

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has ordered captain Steven Gerrard not to play down their Champions League ambitions and be more positive.
Gerrard told the BBC that the Reds were unlikely to win the trophy this year.

Benitez responded: "I spoke to Steven and said to him that in future it's better to think we can win the Champions League. Why not?"

He said: "We need winners here and everyone thinking only of winning. I always want to win."

Benitez added: "When we lose I only think of solutions. If you only think about winning the next game, you don't know what the draw will be.

"If we can win the next game, maybe we will draw a side that isn't so strong, or a side with injuries or suspensions."

Benitez is hoping to win his first trophy since arriving at Liverpool from Valencia when they play Chelsea in the Carling Cup on Sunday in Cardiff.

Gerrard, however, has played down the remarks he made.

"I did an interview while I was in Barcelona last week and someone saved certain things I said until the day of the Champions League, that I didn't think we could win the Champions League," he said.

"That was not how it was meant and not how I wanted it to come across.

"I was saying that the odds were against us winning it this year, but that doesn't mean we will not give it our best shot - but there are a lot of good teams left in the competition

Sems a fair and balanced report of what was actually. Goes to show how the media can omit a few words in this case "Until the day of the Champions league....etc....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Football Related Polls