How far off having a title winning squad are we?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mike72 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:43 am

Players who are good enough to start in a title winning team :

Gerrard
Alonso
Morientes
Baros
Kirkland (if he can manage to play more than 3 consecutive games without getting injured)

Players who are good enough to play in a title winning squad :

Riise
Cisse
Finnan
Garcia
and hopefully Carson
mike72

Postby el_stinger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:49 am

I'd say:

Carson
Finnan  Carra  Hypiia  Riise

Cisse  Alonso  Gerrard  Kewell

Baros  Morientes

Subs:
Garcia
Pongolle
Pelle
Hamann
Kirkland.

This team is not bad on paper, and when the summer comes, they will get to know each other well enough to start seriously challenging for the title. Cisse out to the right, making forward runs towards goal isn't a bad idea.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mike72 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:54 am

Forgot about Pongolle...he played a blinder against Olympiakos...hopefully he'll end up as a winger in the Wright-Phillips mode running at defenders and scaring the sh*t out of them.
mike72

Postby el_stinger » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:58 am

mike72 wrote:Forgot about Pongolle...he played a blinder against Olympiakos...hopefully he'll end up as a winger in the Wright-Phillips mode running at defenders and scaring the sh*t out of them.

Which is exactly why i put Cisse there, its the French way of attacking. Henry did it, and is sucessful adapting to the english game. Cisse is skillfully better than Pongolle, but my gosh, Pongo has the heart and drive to be a better player.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:40 am

Pongolle is looking a better player in every game.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:43 pm

Pongolle is looking a better player in every game.

I agrees with you . I think RB NEED to bring back and try-up two more players like Tallec and Diarra . I hear both of them played very well in France League.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:47 pm

One more thing . Our defender is good but they lack of hard tackle . Once they have that I think Liverpool will be the same par with the Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal . But for now our players , the way they play like "sissy boys "
LiverpoolMadman

Postby 82-1074641017 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:10 pm

We are light years away from having a Premiership winning squad, the Premiership table proves that

Legend Roberts
82-1074641017

Postby ronmeister » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:23 pm

I personally dont think we are to far away i reckon 3 more first team players and we will be done one defender and two midfield players and were set i reckon just gotta get the consistency sorted out ,as we are i reckon barring injuries we will be in the top three next year and genuinly in with a shout .
ronmeister

Postby XSD » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:29 pm

I think Cisse and Morientes will work better than Moro and Baros. It depends on how Cisse recovers, if he loses his pace or can't ever play properly again, that would be very bad. He could be better than Baros though, who will probably get sold at some point.
We need a very strong centre back, look at the top teams with Ferdinand, Terry, Campbell. I think it will be difficult to find someone who fits the bill :(
Carson or Kirkland could become the goallie we need, or they could both flop/be injured and we are back to square one there.
We need wingers too, if Kewell plays as he is capable then that is one less player we need to buy, Garcia isn't like a winger and Nunez hasn't cut it so far.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:33 pm

we are light years away and the scariest thing is that chelsea's wealth will make it most likely that we will fall even further behind.

the main concern last season was that we were 30 points behind the eventual league winners. well we are currently 24 POINTS behind chelsea and it's not even february yet.

scary i know, but the table doesn't lie.  :(
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby begintoend » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:28 am

Another 1 year and loads and loads of commitment and hardwork!

From the look of things now, we did not improve on our consistency at all. There were discussions on how LFC could have make this season more successful than the previous...

1) Consistency, that's losing less games.
2) Get at least the last CL spot, meaning 4th.
3) Be not 30pts away from the leaders.
4) Be not more than 10 pts from the club just above.

I hear some fans here say how lucky we were when other teams like boro and everton drop their points with us. This is pure shi_t. Dun even think what other clubs are fairing when we couldn't even manage to concentrate on putting a good performance to win. We have to depend ultimately on how well LFC performs. As long as LFC does well and win their games, we fans will know we can acheive those points above easily.

And yes, as fans we should have trust in our team. But having our dismay on the players performances are normal. To those "GOD-Like" or "True RED" fans here who never slams any players and thinks everything that LFC does is right, it only shows what lousy support you give by not expecting them to improve in league position and performance, player or club! In my words, slamming the players because of their ****** performance is only human. There is no ultimate angelic LFC supporter. We support cos WE LOVE LIVERPOOL FC. I only know that LFC does not breed glory hunters.

Back to the topic. How far are we? I can say we have a mountain to climb. We can't be consistent at not grinding out results. The current form must stop before acheiving 4th spot becomes impossible. Those behind us are not far to overtake at all.

Fact: The injuries did hamper us.
Fact: The team has several individuals. That doesn't makes a team.
Fact: There is no winning mentality. Only Chelsea and Arsenal has it.
Fact: LFC has an ambition to win, the players are not carrying this ambition, they are carrying their own!  :angry:

I am still hopeful that Liverpool will get the final 4th position. Just hope that the club does not struggle to acheive it. We have a team of players yet to play at their best, and we never had our best players playing together yet. LFC has already started to play good football. I have absolute faith on RB,(though some decisions he makes are quite frustrating especially not changing the way Garcia plays).

There are still a handful of games to go. Its not impossible to improve.
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:33 am

We need money to build a title winning squad ..
LiverpoolMadman

Postby DAV » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:58 am

spot on post begintoend
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:06 am

The most important thing to remember about a top quality team is that it has 7-8 shinning players, 4-5 strong subs (who are good enough to get games, but professional enough to understand why they are on the bench), 3 utility "all rounders" who can fill places and fit wherever they're needed.

The strongest line-up around these days (form permitting) is Real Madrid. This is their run down.

Shiners: Raul, Ronaldo, Zidane, Figo, Becks, Carlos, Salgado and Cassilas
Subs: Solari, Cesar, Owen, Cambiasso and pavon
All rounders: Helguera, Guti and Celades.

You can use this formula for Man Ure, Chelski, Inter, Barca, Juve, AC, ******, Valencia and others.

Now this is just a theory but these teams are either top competetors or names that have set up strong dynisties. Liverpools problem is the amount of un-worthy squadies that Houllier bought and the lack of Home grown talent (you can't compare Mellor and Warnock to Owen and Gerrard). So this is my impression of Liverpools squad.

Shiners: Gerrard, Morientes, Alonso, Cisse, Baros, Carragher
Squadies: Traore, Riise, Hyypia (only coz he's getting on a bit), Finnan, Garcia, Hamman, Sinema, Mellor, Josemi and possibly Diouf and Le Tallec (both doing well on loan)
All rounders: None

This is my opinion: To become a top quality side again, we need 2-3 shining players (idealy two defenders and an attacking midfielder), trim down our squad and keep just the quality (lose Diao, Biscan, Warnock, Smicer and a few others) and gain 3 players who can occupy various positions but still be quality players.

This will take time, and money but hopefully we will get there eventually. I hope.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion