Gerrard speaks on el moro

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:26 pm

LFC.tv

Steven Gerrard believes this weekend's clash with Manchester United presents the ideal stage for Fernando Morientes to make his Liverpool debut.
Reds' boss Rafa Benitez has revealed he hasn't yet decided whether to select Morientes from the start at Anfield, but his skipper is so delighted with the signing that he is desperately hoping the club's new number 19 is given the chance to make an instant impact.

"I would play him. Definitely," said Gerrard. "I was so worried about something going wrong at the last minute. I didn't want to answer my phone yesterday morning. All I wanted to hear was it was done and dusted.

"It's exactly the kind of signing we need. If you ask any of the fans about the calibre of player they want us to be bringing to the club, he would be it. I feel the same way.

"You know you're not taking a risk when you bring in a player like that. I just hope after all the success he's had and trophies he's won he's as hungry to do the same for us.

"It's good from a symbolic point of view that we've signed someone who's so renowned as a world class player. These are the kind of signings the fans want at Liverpool and the players want in the side alongside them.

"It's up to the manager whether he plays against United or not, but I'm sure if you asked the fans, they would like to see him in straight away.

"If it was up to me I'd like to see him as soon as possible, but the manager will know if he's ready.

"I'm sure Manchester United won't relish him making a debut against them because it's the sort of occasion which is made for the top players."

Gerrard believes Morientes will not only get among the goals in a Liverpool shirt but also help to improve the strikers already at the club.

"We've been missing a lot of strikers because of injuries and we've been short of firepower. He'll give us that," he added.

"Because he plays in a different way to the other forwards, he's going to give us an option we haven't had this season. I know a lot of people will be talking about Morientes and Milan Baros as a pair, but I think he'll give all the strikers a lift. I'm sure you will see all the strikers benefiting from having him alongside them.

"I've never played against him, but I know enough about his record and seen him on television to know he's a great player. You can see he's going to be a handful for any defence he plays against.

"I don't think anyone can question his quality when you look at his goalscoring record at the highest level, especially in the Champions League last season."

When you look what Houllier signed for 5 million pounds [Diao] and then compare it to what Benitez bought for 6 million pounds [El Moro] you see the difference between the two managers automaticaly. I am glad that Houllier's days of signing the "Next Zidane" are over.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:44 pm

When you look what Houllier signed for 5 million pounds [Diao] and then compare it to what Benitez bought for 6 million pounds [El Moro] you see the difference between the two managers automaticaly. I am glad that Houllier's days of signing the "Next Zidane" are over.

What a rediculous comment that is.

Thats like me saying, when you see Rafa sign Luis Garcia and Josemi for £8m and you see Houllier sign Hyypia, McAllister and Babbel for £3m you can see the difference in the two managers.

Houlliers gone lad, get over it and move on and stop disrespecting one of LFC's most successful managers.
115-1073096938

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:53 pm

Oh no, here we go again....
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:54 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:Oh no, here we go again....

:D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:12 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:

hey atleast this time i will be here to see it, should be a good one.  :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:18 pm

A.B. wrote:When you look what Houllier signed for 5 million pounds [Diao] and then compare it to what Benitez bought for 6 million pounds [El Moro] you see the difference between the two managers automaticaly. I am glad that Houllier's days of signing the "Next Zidane" are over.

I was never a fan of Foolier (as I used to call him) but in fairness to the man Diao (along with Diouff) was signed after an outstanding world cup for Senegal in Japan. I and many others where excited about the signing ,unfortunately neither player lived up to expectations and I'm sure Houllier was as gutted as the rest of us .

To use one of Stu's expressions stop "Monging" over it .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:25 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:

No can't get into an arguement again.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:27 pm

A.B. wrote:

Good stuff A.B.  :cool:
Me neither my new years resolution im not arguein with no one anymore :;):
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:29 pm

A.B. wrote:

Good stuff A.B.  :cool:
Me neither my new years resolution im not arguein with no one anymore :;):

SSSSSSSuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeee you arent  CGGY  :p  :;):
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:30 pm

Im not Mountie honest :;):  :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:31 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Im not Mountie honest :;):  :D

if your being honest than i must be chinese  :D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:20 am

oh dear  :down:
liamac
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion