Gunners: attitude counts !

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby marcus.c » Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:53 am

It is now the time for Arsenal to get back to the basics. The gunners have two massive games ahead, starting with this do or die Champions League game against Rosenborg followed by Chelsea.

When Arsene Wenger dropped Jens Lehmann for Sat's 3-0 win over Birmingham, it was a wake up call to his team. It was Wenger's message to his players that they are not efficient enough to play as a team.

Arsenal are still too dependent on individual quality of stars like Henry, Pires and Reyes. Now they are all off form and the gunners are in deep trouble because of that.

I suppose the axing of Lehmann is Wenger's way of firing the German up. Although I cannot see the manager doing so for the game against Chelsea. If he does, it will be his biggest gamble yet. It could also mean the end for Lehmann.

Against Birmingham last week, Wenger's men went back to basics. No fancy foot work or passing, just a hardworking display. And that is the way to go if they want to beat Chelsea and defend their title.

I would say that Wenger is not as good as Rafael Benitez, in terms of tactical knowledge but Wenger is extremely good at spotting young and raw talents.

When Liverpool had no first choice strikers, Benitez did his home work and knew how to play around his formation to beat Arsenal and Tottenham. However, when Henry, Vieira and Pires were not playing 100% due to injuries, what did Wenger do? He simply dump in Flamini, Fabregas, Hoyte...etc

Arsenal look too jaded right now and it is all down to a lack of rotation. I do hope that Chelsea beat Arsenal, because bascially Liverpool is too far back to over take Chelsea. If Chelsea beat Arsenal, there will be great changes.

For now the Professor cannot run away now. Chelsea are coming for him. Soon, Liverpool will be coming for Mourinho....
marcus.c

Return to Premiership - General Discussion