Where do we go from here?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

Alisson, Adrian, Karius, Grabara, Kelleher

van Dijk, Gomez, Trent, Robertson, Matip, Tsimikas, Williams, Hoever, Phillips, van den Berg

Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Milner, Curtis Jones, Grujic, Woodburn

Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Brewster, Elliott, Wilson, Awoniyi

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 am

Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:37 pm wrote:Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

van Dijk, Gomez, Trent, Robertson, Matip, Tsimikas, Williams, Hoever, Phillips, van den Berg

Henderson, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Ox, Milner, Curtis Jones, Grujic, Woodburn

Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino, Origi, Shaqiri, Brewster, Elliott, Wilson, Awoniyi

I would rather another backup for Allison, Adrian worries me

We need a top shelf CB

I think we are solid in midfield, especially if we swap Gini for Thiago

We need someone else to step up or buy another top striker, someone with the attributes of Firmino as they are harder to find.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:04 pm

Cool Hand Luke » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:37 am wrote:Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

This is where we're weakest.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:22 am

Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 pm wrote:Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

We're likely looking to sell like half of those players though. We probably want to get rid of Grabara, Karius, Phillips, Grujic, Woodburn, Wilson, Shaqiri, Awoniyi, maybe Origi and even Brewster too judging by recent reports. Hopefully we can sell Grujic, Wilson and Shaqiri for a decent price and get enough money to sign a decent player.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:37 pm

kazza » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:11 am wrote:
Cool Hand Luke » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:37 pm wrote:Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

I would rather another backup for Allison, Adrian worries me

We need a top shelf CB

I think we are solid in midfield, especially if we swap Gini for Thiago

We need someone else to step up or buy another top striker, someone with the attributes of Firmino as they are harder to find.

I know he made a few high profile errors in the second half of the season but I was impressed with how Adrian deputised for Alisson when he was injured for the first couple of months of the season. When you have an established number 1 who is arguably the best keeper in the world you'll struggle to find a top keeper who is happy to play second fiddle.

As we already have van Dijk, Gomez and Matip, what we would be saying to any new CB is that he won't even make the bench in the PL and CL unless there is an injury. So not sure how realistic it is to bring in a top shelf CB. But I agree that going in with only 3 senior CBs is a risk so hopefully we're in the market for someone. It might be that Klopp thinks that by the end of the season Koumetio might have developed into the 4th choice CB and we can use Fabinho as emergency cover for one year.

The attack is the one area I feel there is real gains to be made if we can find the right player. I'd quite happily see the club sell Shaqiri, Brewster and Wilson if we use that money to buy someone to join Firmino, Mane, Salah, Minamino and Origi.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:46 pm

I know he made a few high profile errors in the second half of the season but I was impressed with how Adrian deputised for Alisson when he was injured for the first couple of months of the season.

+1. Thought he did a sound job, I wouldn't replace him.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:49 am

Reg wrote:
Cool Hand Luke » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:37 am wrote:Was having a look at the players list on the official website and it's interesting to take a look at the squad. The likes of Shaqiri, Brewster, Curtis Jones, Grujic and Tsimikas probably don't even get on the bench in the PL and CL unless there are injuries.

This is where we're weakest.

I certainly don't disagree but when you look at this
Cool Hand Luke wrote:

If we are unfortunate enough to suffer 2 injuries at CH then Fabinho will have to drop back. Likewise if Robbo is out then Klopp will surely use Milner instead of the new lad. Hoever Phillips and Sepp are no where near ready and can we really afford to rely on playing lads with zero experience when we are looking to defend a title. Any of those lads will be targeted by the opposition as the weak link.  Matip

We can score the other end but nowhere near enough to be outscoring teams twice a week. We need both or Klopp will have to start changing how we set up which again is a risk.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:34 am

Reg » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:46 am wrote:I know he made a few high profile errors in the second half of the season but I was impressed with how Adrian deputised for Alisson when he was injured for the first couple of months of the season.

+1. Thought he did a sound job, I wouldn't replace him.

He always looked like he had errors in him and probably benefited from a strong defense. He never made a world class save that I remember, more like he was brave and put his body on the line. I prefer him to Karius but still get nervous when he plays for us.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion