Where do we go from here?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 am

Klopp's worked wonders to win the league, CL and world club cup however the club's already faced with big questions how to evolve the team as players come to the end of their careers or showing signs of cracks.

The front three need re-enforcing, they're all 29 years old now and our replacements like Origi etc.. simply aren't good enough.
Midfield, Milner is now 53, Hendo and Gini both 30. We need to bring in the best midfielder in the world, another VVD/Alisson style buy to lead the midfield into the new era. We need another Souness.
Gomez is blowing hot and cold and coming in for a lot of criticism, is something going on behind  the scenes? Matip is injured quite frequently these days and Lovren is a liability. We need a new CH but I don't want to see Fabinho fall into that position as he does a great job 10 yards in front of the back 4.
Minimino and Keita have still got to convince us they're good enough. Personally I feel they're both too lightweight, they both need to toughen up.

So we did well, congratulations to the c;lub, but in 12 months time Klopp will be faced with a radical rebuild, so he may as well get on with it now.
The trouble is, these days I don't know who's good enough to fit these roles, it seemed to be easier in the past!

Game on.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I think I made the exact same points in the thread “ moving forward”  :D
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Franky000 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:07 pm

Adding to the squad is definitely something that needs addressing with city showing no signs of letting up when it comes to splashing the cash, and teams like united and Chelsea laying foundations for the future through the promotion of youth. As unlikely as it seems with regards to them challenging, things change quick in football, and in addition to city, we need to keep the rest of the pack at arms length by further cementing our position as top dogs. I suspect that with the way the guys up top work, we'll fund reinforcements through the sale of one of the front 3. Not the way i'd go about it, but if it brings similar results to the Coutinio sale..

Another important thing is whether the current crop are still hungry enough to dominate this league. There will be no room for complacency at the start of the coming season.
Franky000

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:43 am

City are already good enough to take the title back next year. They'll strengthen no doubt so we can't sit still. Werner plus others will make a difference at Chelsea so we can't sit still. Utd look like they're starting to gel a bit and will probably be challenging top 4 next year too so we can't sit still. Arsenal are gash yet still beat us last night.

Big ideas needed to retain this titles.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:19 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:43 am wrote:City are already good enough to take the title back next year. They'll strengthen no doubt so we can't sit still. Werner plus others will make a difference at Chelsea so we can't sit still. Utd look like they're starting to gel a bit and will probably be challenging top 4 next year too so we can't sit still. Arsenal are gash yet still beat us last night.

Big ideas needed to retain this titles.

City are under zero pressure at the moment and playing some very impressive football. Having said that they are still a bunch of nasty arrogant entitled sh.ts !! And don’t get away from the fact that they have lost 25% of the games they have played this season and that really is terrible.  Aguero is 32, Kompany is a massive miss and losing David Silva won’t actually help them. Yes they will buy more players but that doesn’t always guarantee success. Just look at the bin load of money they have wasted on so-called defenders. It will be interesting that is for sure !!

Absolutely no doubt that we need to seriously reinforce. Our front three are all close to 30 and that cannot be ignored. Some would argue that Stevie’s last couple of years were two too many. I don’t totally agree with that line of thought but it is something that shouldn’t be forgotten. He had a lot of very different players around him and clearly that makes a difference. Hendo has become a better player and captain since the arrival of Ali, VVD and Fab. We can’t simply sit back. We spent the square root of sweet fk all last year. Austerity doesn’t work. We need to invest in the future.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:18 pm

City will surely spend and others will be looking to cement themselves in the top 4 like Manure and Chelsea so I'd expect them to be splashing it also.

We have to at least get rid of the failed players this year. Lovren and Shaq for starters and then there is Origi. He has been here long enough now and still not up to the standard needed.

The age of some of our players isn't really an issue unless the idea is to cash in at some stage. That time is now for some of them. Not saying I want to see us sell but we will probably need to

What can't happen is taking another few years to win it again  :no
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 am

Apparently we qre sealing the deal with Thiago Alcantara. Is he better than Coutinho?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:45 am

We need to do something to strengthen the first team squad as at present we cannot compete on multiple fronts.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:21 pm

maguskwt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 am wrote:Apparently we qre sealing the deal with Thiago Alcantara. Is he better than Coutinho?

Mate, I don't know much about Alcantara but given the little I do know, i think it's like you're asking if a knife is better than a grenade, both different, both effective, it depends on how you use them.    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:30 pm

It’s worth remembering that Klopp is a fan of working with small squads and then topping it up from the academy - I don’t see too many arrivals without any departures , Jones has prob already replaced Lallana , Williams it looks like is going to be the lb and rb back up.

Back GK and front line May well get reinforced depending on if Adrian and Origi move on but we do have Wilson and Brewster to come back
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 am

I’ll be genuinely surprised if we sign Thiago, he turns 30 during this upcoming season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:14 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 am wrote:I’ll be genuinely surprised if we sign Thiago, he turns 30 during this upcoming season.

The right move here I think would be to offload Milner and replace him with Thiago. Milner will be 35 before Thiago turns 30. That would be a massive upgrade IMO as Milner is well past it at this stage.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:01 pm

woof woof ! » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:21 pm wrote:
maguskwt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 am wrote:Apparently we qre sealing the deal with Thiago Alcantara. Is he better than Coutinho?

Mate, I don't know much about Alcantara but given the little I do know, i think it's like you're asking if a knife is better than a grenade, both different, both effective, it depends on how you use them.    :D

I want a freakin RPG! how about that? :laugh:
On a serious note though, coutinho is itching to come back and if he does we'll be so strong up front and we dont need to rely on the usual trio to be effective. We can switch to 2 up front. There'll be more options in terms of formation. I just dont get why we dont make it happen. His salary? Or some clause when we sold him to Barca?
If we added coutinho to THIS team, it'll be, our rivals will go WTF! kinda move. Thiago seems like just a slower version of coutinho!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:38 pm

maguskwt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:01 pm wrote:
woof woof ! » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:21 pm wrote:

I want a freakin RPG! how about that? :laugh:
On a serious note though, coutinho is itching to come back and if he does we'll be so strong up front and we dont need to rely on the usual trio to be effective. We can switch to 2 up front. There'll be more options in terms of formation. I just dont get why we dont make it happen. His salary? Or some clause when we sold him to Barca?
If we added coutinho to THIS team, it'll be, our rivals will go WTF! kinda move. Thiago seems like just a slower version of coutinho!

They play in different positions and are quite different players. Thiago would compete with Fabinho for the DM position and with Wijnaldum for the more reserved of the two 8s. Klopp mainly played Coutinho on the left hand side where Mane is now. A lot of people are saying Thiago doesn't work hard or is slow but in all honesty those people can't have watched him much. You don't play for Pep if you don't work hard.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm

Lovren is going. Shaq and Adrian will probably be off, too. I'd move Origi on as well.

That means we need 3 or 4 signings. Or lads from the youth set up.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion