Reinforcements

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:26 am

I've changed my mind...

Before the seasin, i agreed with Klopp's catious approach to the transfer market due to the fact that Keta, AOC, Gomez were all returning and they would be like new signings.

But now, Keita is injured and couldnt be relied on to stay injury free for an extent of time. AOC diesnt seem to be firing on all cylinders. Against sheffield united, our bench was just poor for a title contender. When the first trio are struggling, or if one of them got injured, we will be severely lacking in creativity.

Its time to spend some cash. At least two players, a forward and a creative midfielder. Come on FSG and Klopp!
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:16 pm

Don't think Keita is injured again just being slowly eased back into it according to Klopp. Still I have doubts as to how long he will last when he does return because I don't think he is built for the type of football we play.

The drop off In quality is always what worries me along with injuries to our front 3 because that is where 98% of our goals come from. It doesn't matter either if any of them suffer a dip in form because he will still play them every week and for 90 minutes. The quality drop off is exacerbated by the fact that the back up players are rusty as f*ck and there is no consistency at all to the minutes they get on the pitch. They will need a run of games to find any sort of form and that wont happen unless someone suffers a long term injury.

There is no competition for places and our front 3 have been elevated to untouchable status which is bad imo.

We should always be looking to improve in as many windows as we can. Loads of people didn't want to get rid of Mingolet but look at how well that has worked out for us. There is always excuses and one of my favourites is that a certain player wouldn't suit how we play  :laugh: . There is quite a few in our squad already that don't suit how we play or the position they get played in like reinventing Lallana as a deep lying player. Our Midfield is really defensive as well which will never suit the likes of Ox or Shaq. We don't even have a natural striker in the team either.

Anyway Mags we are top of the league and unbeaten so plenty will argue there is no need to fix what isn't broken and they have a point. Personally I just hope we never end up in a situation where we need to dip into the squad for a few starters.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Don't fix what isn't broken is right, but the thing is, nothing is broken right now sure, our key players are fit and in form at the moment, but what happens when they aren't? That's when things get broken and sadly we'll have no way to fix such a situation, so Mags' point stands.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Keita is being eased back in. And given how strong our central midfield is, I don't see any reason why we would want to rush the lad back from a serious injury. I also think it's too early to write-off Ox.

Klopp has high hopes for some of our youngsters, like Brewster, Elliott, Hoever and Van Den Berg. And they all deserve their chance. In fact, I think we'll see more of them as the season progresses. Maybe one of them will follow in the steps of TAA?

In regards to new signings, who should we sign? And where will they play?

We have one of the best attacking line ups in the world. I can't see many players lining up to sit on our bench. And what's the point in spending 50 million on a player who might disrupt our squad by crying the press because they can't get regular games? I'd rather see youngsters being promoted so they can learn their trade from the world class attackers we already have.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm

We're not talking about trying to improve the first team mate. We are talking about improving the strength in depth. If we can improve the first team, heck why not.

I would have pulled that trigger on Coutinho. He is a first team material and also gives us strength in depth. He can play with 2 forwards and our creativity wont drop. which gives us another option from our front three. He is expensive but heck we are european champions and can afford to spend.

Another ideal signing would be signings like zlatan and larrson that united utilised to come off the bench. Players who were once world class but pass their prime but still contribute as a sub or certain games when called upon.

As for youngsters i havent seen much contribution from them so far and this makes me nervous. Is there a young owen, a young gerrard, even a young sterling in there? I really doubt so.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:55 pm

maguskwt » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:30 pm wrote:We're not talking about trying to improve the first team mate. We are talking about improving the strength in depth. If we can improve the first team, heck why not.

I would have pulled that trigger on Coutinho. He is a first team material and also gives us strength in depth. He can play with 2 forwards and our creativity wont drop. which gives us another option from our front three. He is expensive but heck we are european champions and can afford to spend.

Another ideal signing would be signings like zlatan and larrson that united utilised to come off the bench. Players who were once world class but pass their prime but still contribute as a sub or certain games when called upon.

If the rumours are true, Klopp walked away from the Coutinho deal when it became apparent that Barca were going to charge us more than anyone else for a loan.  And given the bad blood between the two sides, that's hardly surprising. So who else do we sign? A few wanted us to get Pepe. He went to Arsenal in the end for 72 million and has been awful.  I don't even think he would displace Origi from the bench. 

As I've said many times, I trust Klopp on transfers. And I'm sure he has a list of guys who he would bring in, if the price was right.  But signing players just for the sake of it makes no sense. Especially when you consider how inflated the market is right now.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 am

I wonder if Son is available? Spurs are on the rocks and if Poch walks... who knows....
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 am

Son would be a great signing and Erikssen would also. It's players like this that will put the finishing touches to the squad and finally secure that league.

Competition is important and our front lads have none. They wont be here forever and chances are we could lose 1 or 2 next summer.

The likes of Brewster, hoever and Elliot are still a few years off being mainstays in that team if they even make it at all. We have been here many times before with other lads who looked just as good in a cameo or two only for them to disappear down the line.

There is plenty of players who could improve us but the club just has to show interest and pay what it takes to get them. If we cannot attract the better players in the game at this stage then we never will.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 am

I like Erikssen and I think he'd be a good addition to our squad. The wages might be a sticking point ( I think he wants a mega money move on a Bosman) but he'd give us that spark of creativity in the centre of the park that we sometimes lack.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:03 pm

IF we sign anyone in January, and I don't think we'll get anyone who isn't CL tied and or good enough to go into the first team as a like for like replacement, it'll be with a view to easing them in for the start of next season. I also think this new coach is possibly being lined up as either a future manager or Gerrard's #2 down the road - he's the type of guy apparently who will work wonders with the current batch of kids on the books.
Bottom line, I will be surprised - amazed - if we do any business in January. We'll have to hope the team as it stands begins to repeat the performances of last year. Right now, I think we're very fortunate to be where we are. Lazio away, SHU away were very poor games. As was the MK Dons game. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark and I can't figure out what it is...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Boocity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:59 pm

bunglemark2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 pm wrote:IF we sign anyone in January, and I don't think we'll get anyone who isn't CL tied and or good enough to go into the first team as a like for like replacement, it'll be with a view to easing them in for the start of next season. I also think this new coach is possibly being lined up as either a future manager or Gerrard's #2 down the road - he's the type of guy apparently who will work wonders with the current batch of kids on the books.
Bottom line, I will be surprised - amazed - if we do any business in January. We'll have to hope the team as it stands begins to repeat the performances of last year. Right now, I think we're very fortunate to be where we are. Lazio away, SHU away were very poor games. As was the MK Dons game. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark and I can't figure out what it is...

Napoli :D
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:04 pm

Calm down Gomez
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:09 pm

Great goal Mane
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:13 pm

Fook know whats going on with my laptop tonight
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Boocity » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:59 pm wrote:
bunglemark2 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:03 pm wrote:IF we sign anyone in January, and I don't think we'll get anyone who isn't CL tied and or good enough to go into the first team as a like for like replacement, it'll be with a view to easing them in for the start of next season. I also think this new coach is possibly being lined up as either a future manager or Gerrard's #2 down the road - he's the type of guy apparently who will work wonders with the current batch of kids on the books.

Napoli :D

Senior moment  :D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion