Lucas Podolkski

The Premiership - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:56 pm

Another good striker going to another of our rival clubs for cheap... :blues:
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:23 pm

He is cheap for a reason. Hasn't really performed for 3 seasons. Used to a 20+ goals a season striker, now pushes hard to make 15. Also injury prone.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Honestly not bothered about this, I don't think he's particularly great, they could have signed much better, instead they've cut into their budget on something not too significant. Time will tell I suppose but I don't expect him to flourish
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Greavesie wrote:Honestly not bothered about this, I don't think he's particularly great, they could have signed much better, instead they've cut into their budget on something not too significant. Time will tell I suppose but I don't expect him to flourish

Honestly I cannot see how this signing differs from Chamahk. They're scoring record is almost identical and look how the Chamahk thing worked out.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:01 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Greavesie wrote:Honestly not bothered about this, I don't think he's particularly great, they could have signed much better, instead they've cut into their budget on something not too significant. Time will tell I suppose but I don't expect him to flourish

Honestly I cannot see how this signing differs from Chamahk. They're scoring record is almost identical and look how the Chamahk thing worked out.

I was going to mention Chamakh in my post, great minds  :D

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Boxscarf » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:54 pm

I don't understand Arsene Wenger's transfer policy, I really don't!

He has Van Persie (who according to reports has welcomed the press link with AC Milan, so watch this space), Walcott, Chamkh and they signed Gervinho and Park in the summer. Wenger only plays with one striker and given the lack of strength in their centre midfield and their poor defence, I'd have thought that Wenger would have tried to sign a LB and a CB.

Arsene can sign whoever they want in attack, it doesn't alter the fact that his weak link is his poor defence. If Arsenal want to become a better team than signing players like Podolski will prove futile, what they need is a quality CB and an equally quality LB.
Boxscarf

Postby aCe' » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:56 pm

I think he'll fit in well with them. Solid technically and contributes with the goals. Hes used to playing as part of a forward 3 and with him, RVP, Walcott, Chamberlain, and Gervinho they have decent competition for the 3 places upfront. He's probably better than both Walcott and Gervinho and he'll have no problems making that left wide spot his own. I also disagree about him not being good for the past 3 seasons. He's been playing for his local club and pretty much carrying them through tough times on his own. Asked for the move there when he arguably could have played for other big clubs in the continent and that for me says something about his attitude.

Good buy for what they paid and we'd do well to sign more players like him rather than spend big on players who dont add much.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:38 am

aCe' wrote:I think he'll fit in well with them. Solid technically and contributes with the goals. Hes used to playing as part of a forward 3 and with him, RVP, Walcott, Chamberlain, and Gervinho they have decent competition for the 3 places upfront. He's probably better than both Walcott and Gervinho and he'll have no problems making that left wide spot his own. I also disagree about him not being good for the past 3 seasons. He's been playing for his local club and pretty much carrying them through tough times on his own. Asked for the move there when he arguably could have played for other big clubs in the continent and that for me says something about his attitude.

Good buy for what they paid and we'd do well to sign more players like him rather than spend big on players who dont add much.

Exactomundo
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:23 am

aCe' wrote:I think he'll fit in well with them. Solid technically and contributes with the goals. Hes used to playing as part of a forward 3 and with him, RVP, Walcott, Chamberlain, and Gervinho they have decent competition for the 3 places upfront. He's probably better than both Walcott and Gervinho and he'll have no problems making that left wide spot his own. I also disagree about him not being good for the past 3 seasons. He's been playing for his local club and pretty much carrying them through tough times on his own. Asked for the move there when he arguably could have played for other big clubs in the continent and that for me says something about his attitude.

I extremely doubt Van Persie will be at Arsenal next season.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:50 pm

You might be right there. Either way podolski is quality, and the signing of such players might even convince RvP to stay.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:42 pm

mart wrote:You might be right there. Either way podolski is quality, and the signing of such players might even convince RvP to stay.

If Van Persie is contemplating life away from the Emirates I am sure it will take more than the signing of Podolski to convince him to stay.

Arsenal's problem isn't their attack, it's their defence, Johan Djourou makes Pascal Cygan look like Philippe Mexis, he's that poor.
Boxscarf

Postby Greavesie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:16 pm

I honestly think Wenger is going to use him at left wing and as a striker. For that reason I don't think he'll get a starting berth or nail down either position. He'll be rotated about to accomodate their less versatile players. It certainly won't be enough to persuade RVP imo. After the sales of Fab and Nasri, their accounts don't make for great reading, so that's £10m of whatever their budget is not going into the defence.

YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby maguskwt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:27 pm

The thing is Lucas Podolski is not a flashy player for example like the south Americans or the Spanish. But he is a very direct player and runs at the defence which is suited for the premier league. I feel that most German players are suitable for the premier league. He is also quite hardworking and consistent and will score goals between 15-20+ a season. To me he is somewhat like Kuyt but will contribute more goals and less defensively. If we have a flashy player like Suarez, a player like Podolski will compliment him nicely...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mart » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:40 am

Boxscarf wrote:
mart wrote:You might be right there. Either way podolski is quality, and the signing of such players might even convince RvP to stay.

If Van Persie is contemplating life away from the Emirates I am sure it will take more than the signing of Podolski to convince him to stay.

Arsenal's problem isn't their attack, it's their defence, Johan Djourou makes Pascal Cygan look like Philippe Mexis, he's that poor.

Yes it probably wont be their only signing, but its not hard to see why he signed him. RvP cant play every match and the other strikers they have are Sh*t. Podolski will also fit perfectly on the left wing in the system they use. Arsenal have some good wingers but none of them score very much, and they needed a better backup striker for RvP.

Their defense isnt as bad as it seems. Djorou is just a squad player. They have 3 good CB's in vermalen, kosc and mertesacker, and a good RB in sagna. They could probably use someone better at LB but they do seem to have some talented kids there. They even finally got a good keeper in that Scezseny or whatever his name is.
mart
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:21 pm

I wouldn't call Per Mertesacker a good defender. Arsenal's two best defenders are Sagna and Vermaelen and by quite some distance. The rest are substandard in all honesty. If Arsenal are to become a much better side, they need to sign new defenders, especially a new CB and a new LB. It's all well and good signing Podolski, but Arsenal's problem for the past few years has been their defence.
Boxscarf

Return to Premiership - General Discussion