The Alonso Thread - hands in transfer request

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby redhayesy » Fri May 02, 2008 11:17 pm

alonso is quality, glad to see he is thinking positive about our & his future with LFC
imho he is a massive part in our furture success, as he has been since he joined us!!
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Fri May 02, 2008 11:30 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:glad to see Xabi staying. hasn't been at his best, but is still a top player.

Yeah but your saying it as if he has a choice. All he is basically saying is he has no intentions of placing a transfer request. Whether or not Benitez uses the sale of Alonso to fund a Barry purchase is yet to be seen.

one don't assume how I'm saying anything, two Alonso has every choice. The club accept any bid for him then it's up to him to say whether or not he's going, so if he decides to stay (which thankfully he has) then what sale of Alonso?

Alonso has all the choice, once a bid is accepted.

Con, I'd just like to ask you what quality wingers has Alonso had to work with since coming to Anfield. Garcia (hit and miss) Riise (2004-05 his best ever year with us and Alonso's) Smicer (hit and miss) Finnan/Kromkamp/Josemi all had stints on the right. Gerrard (best player in the side wherever he's played) Gonzalez (miss or not even do enough to claim a miss) Cisse (lazy) Kuyt (not in my opinion a winger) Pennant (half decent in my opinion) Benayoun (less said the better) Babel (has potentional but doesn't wanna play wing) So I don't really understand how people say Alonso plays better with quality wingers, when we've been short of real quality down both flanks since the days of Barnes and McManaman.

I don't buy into this "press him and he's useless" he's been playing in the premiership for four years now, and the first two he was pretty much flawless, are you really trying to say he wasn't pressed during those two years? He never had the pace to be a box to box midfielder. He's always been a holding midfielder pulling the strings, chipping in with some (not enough) goals. So I don't think people have found him out as such, because during his first 18-24 months in England he'd of been constantly pressed as well.

For me where the dip in form has gone, was the signing of Mascherano. Since Mascherano arrived, Alonso has dipped and I think Alonso thought he was irreplaceable and he was in the comfort zone. Then Mascherano came around, proved he could replace Alonso with Gerrard/Sissoko next to him and Alonso hasn't recovered from that. I don't know Xabi personally but he seems to me to be the kind of lad who needs an arm round his shoulder and needs to be told that he is the number 1 central midfielder. Put it back into him that he is irreplaceable and give him the confidence back that the team can't work without him. It does seem funny that Alonso's serious dip started from about January 2007...Mascherano arrived around the same time. Also Benitez criticising Alonso publically may not of helped (if he is the kind of lad who needs confidence instored into him) So to summerise, I think Alonso just needs that confidence that he is the number 1 holding midfielder.

He replaced Hamann, saw off Sissoko but Mascherano has overtaken him in that respect and it's affected Alonso from what I can see.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby mike72 » Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 pm

I'm absolutely chuffed if Alonso stays, he is one of the few geniune world class players that we have, and certainly in a different league to Barry as a central midfielder.  Alonso has been there and done it all, which is more than you can say for Barry.

Maybe Rafa is looking at Barry at left full back?
mike72

Postby Sabre » Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 pm

Erm, for what is worth, I agree most of that GBJH, including the arm over the shoulder thingy.

I don't think he's the kind of guy who thinks he's irreplaceable though.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 02, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat May 03, 2008 8:12 am

laza wrote:So we sell Alonso and then use precious transfer funds to buy another CM, then we spend the next season moaning about not having quality out on the wings  :)

If we can find a decent CM for maybe £5m and get £12m+ for Alonso then I'd be tempted to sell. As you say funds are precious and if offers of £12m+ come in for players, other than Gerrard and Torres, then we'd be fools not to at least consider them and push them up.

We don't absolutely have to play three CMs next season, Mascherano and Gerrard may well be most people's 1st choice midfield pairing and Lucas is doing ok as cover, so an extra CM on the (relatively) cheap could be enough with then funds to buy another Fernando Torres or a good wide player. Unfortunately we don't know how much funding Rafa will get, so to a certain degree I tend to think we'll have to raise some funding to buy players if we want the best players. But what we can't afford is to spend £6m or so on budget players and find we're no closing to sorting a position or several out.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat May 03, 2008 7:08 pm

I can't see us winning the league next year with too many changes, and losing a player like Alonso won't help.
SupitsJonF

Postby VamosRafa » Sun May 04, 2008 12:28 am

I'd like to see xabi stay. Sure he's had a dissapointing season, but i think that had a lot to do with him getting injured early on. He struggled to get back into the swing of things. I seem to remember him putting in a great performance against arsenal at home before he had an injury relapse. Rotation plus his lack of fitness meant he didn't get an extended run in the team until the last few games or so. Xabi has shown his quality, there's no doubt he can recapture it.
VamosRafa

Postby alxy » Mon May 05, 2008 2:22 am

Xabi is quality. His form hasn't been the best but I am sure it will come back. Even Stevie G's form this year wasn't as hot as we would have liked at times. Keep Alonso.
alxy

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Xabi' had a bad season.  All players at some point (even the best of them) go through a period / season when it's not happening for them. 

I for one would like to see Xabi stay.  He's quality, has great vision and fantastic passing ability.   He'll be back next season- watch this space.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Reg » Mon May 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Kash_Mountain wrote:He'll be back next season- watch this space.

Wearing a Barcelona shirt in the CL ?  :rasp
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon May 05, 2008 6:49 pm

I hope he stays. Form is temporary, class is permanent
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon May 05, 2008 6:55 pm

7_Kewell wrote:I hope he stays. Form is temporary, class is permanent

:nod
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Mon May 05, 2008 7:11 pm

I'll be gutted if Xabi leaves.  We'll survive without him, mind, but he's a quality player and a great servant for the club.  Plus, he's a large part of the reason why we don't need any more CMs and can concentrate our funds on signing wide players and strikers.  What's the point of letting him go if we have to divert precious funds to replace him?
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby redmikey » Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 pm

i would want him to stay unless we can use him to get david villa fm valencia,

players i would rather offer would be pennant,dirk,j a r, voronin(lets be fair       no chance of anyone doing that) yossie or a long list of resevres leto,bruna etc

barry is better than alot of our squad but i wounld want xabi to go the other way
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Torres25 » Mon May 05, 2008 9:02 pm

Youd get rid of Gerardo Bruna loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

oh i hope 2 god ur still on this thread in afew years

i cant wait 2 rip u iver that post

get rid of bruna humph u muppet
Torres25

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge