Scoring midfielders

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby Paul C » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:19 pm

We don't score as much from midfield as we used to, I remember the days when Murphy used to rack up 10-12 and Berger scored screamers from 20 yards but now we don't do that, why?
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:51 pm

Its a massive problem for Liverpool.

I think the reason is that unlike Man UTD and Arsenal, Liverpool are too afraid/defensive minded to through midfielders into attack.

Watch Man UTD when they score: they are normally queuing up for it as it goes in.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:57 pm

yeah you look at scholes. he scored 20 goals last season for a midfield player. that's phenomenal. our strikers (with the exception of owen) get nowhere near that total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby long sleeved joe » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:22 pm

I agree with John Barnes Granny, when Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manu U are on the attack they are quick and when they are in a position to put a cross in they have several options available and always several players busting a gut to get into the penalty area- this is because they genuinly think they will score which is not the case with us.  The only time we have more than one player ready to receive a cross is when we have been building play for a sustained period and their defence has time to organise and mark up.
and how often do we see Owen pick up the ball as furthest player forward and have to drop deep and wide, playing the ball back just to keep posession, it's not his fault its the lack of support.
when we won the treble we had 2 very important midfielders who had a lot of experience and cunning who both made and scored goals at important times, Nick Barmby and Gary McCalister  At the moment we need a couple of experinced players like them, because when we need goals ane the pressure is on (ie now) we dont have the confidence that we can go and get them.
"If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden i'd draw the curtains" Bill Shankly
long sleeved joe

Postby chrys » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:38 pm

midfielder like kaka i think.
if not houllier then jose mourino
chrys

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:09 am

chrys who is kaka? and are u really cheesys girlfriend, please say  it isnt true or i wont be able to take you seriously anymore   ???
112-1077774096

Postby JBG » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:00 am

Kaka: one of the top players on form in Europe, coming to Liverpool!!!!

Barmby was highly underestimated in my opinion when he was at Liverpool. His natural instinct is to break into the box from midfield, something we simply don't have at the moment.

Before his injury took the wind out of him his contribution in 2000/2001 was significant.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:03 am

the barmby disintegration was a strange one for me. it's like he was here one minute gone the next. the closest player we have to him is probably murphy, but even he's been a shadow of his former self this season.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:09 am

peewee wrote:chrys who is kaka?

Did you not see Kaka with AC Milan against Deportivo ?
He looked real class.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby DrLiverpool » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:59 am

He IS real class.
If he came to Anfield he'd be our best player by a mile.
*I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong*
DrLiverpool
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:47 am

DrLiverpool wrote:He IS real class.
If he came to Anfield he'd be our best player by a mile.

Kaka is french baby speak for sh*t so maybe Foolier will be tempted to bid for him  :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:53 am

On a more serious note, it's true that we don't seem to have our midfielders piling forward in support of the attack the way other teams do. I still remember Ray Kennedy and Souness banging in 20-30 yd screamers. Stevie Gerrard can do it but doesn't always go for the shot.(thats not a critiscism of Stevie ,lately we'd be fckd without him)

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sparky » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:28 pm

on a serious note!!!! kaka to liverpool your havin a giraffe mate!!!!! leave the european champions for us, somehow i dont think so it is nice to dream though!!!cheyrou is the future!!!!! :p  :p  :D
"My Idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility"

"To build Liverpool up and up, untill eventually everyone would have to submit!!!"
Sparky

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:03 am

Listen guys, dont laugh but Cheyrou is going to be the man in midfield for us. The lad has seriously under acheived, but Stevie G on his website rates him as one of the best midfielders he has played with or against. Now I know Stevie has only played for Liverpool in Club football, but the lad has faced Beckham, Giggs, Ballack, Tomassi, Vierra, Keane, Petit, Totti and many more.

The lad will come good, I mean it takes a fair bit to adjust to the rigours of the Premiership, take a look at Pires at Arsenal. He done nothing in his first season in the Prem, and he was played in most of the games, Cheyrou has not played enough games in order for him to adjust to the style and speed of the top flight in blighty.

If the lad gets a decent run of games, watch him come on leaps and bounds. Did you see him against Chelsea, he was instrumental, and not just cus he scored the goal.

Its really not all doom and gloom guys.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:16 pm

w h y
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge