Interview with trigger mcateer - I didn't know he had dandruff

Liverpool Football Club - The Players Lounge

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:56 am

jonnymac1979

Postby the great one » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:18 pm

Great interview :)
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:03 am

Yeah, I think he's done well for himself, organising this match and all.  I'm going, the tickets arrived yesterday.

I remember when Houllier sold him as soon as Man Utd had beaten us in the Cup in the 98/99 season with those goals in the 203rd minute.  Houllier blamed McAteer for the team losing shape by not playing the holding role.  He dived forward for the last ten minutes and Utd scored two.  I think it was Blackburn he was sold to if I'm not mistaken. 

He actually looked like he was going to cry at his leaving press conference though.  He didn't want to leave Liverpool but he was not in Houlliers plans.  I remember he was a player who you would have loved in your team when he was at Bolton, and I wanted Souness/Evans to sign him (and Stubbs) around that time, but when we signed him, he just fitted in quietly, playing out of position as a wing back in Evans 3-5-2 formation, when he was a ball winning central midfielder.  He admits he would play anywhere just to get in the team, but he had Redknapp and later Ince to compete with. 

A good character.
jonnymac1979

Postby Sean » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:43 pm

Good interview but as an irishman I have to disagree with his comment about Brian Kerr.  Mick McCarthy left the irish job after two euro 2004 qualification defeats and one of the worlds best midfielders was refusing to play with us.  Brian Kerr came into the job and very nearly secured qualification for euro 2004.  Since then our results have been fantastic and he brought Roy Keane back into the side.

Mick McCarthy's two best players during the 2002 world cup were Robbie Keane and Damian Duff.  McAteer is unlikely to remember it but it was actually Brian Kerr who was instrumental in the development of these two players when coaching the successful Irish underage sides during the mid '90's and late '90's.

Mick McCarthy was a great captain for Ireland during Italia '90, he gave his all for us on the field and did his best as a young international manager.  Hes now doing very well at Sunderland.  I also have no axe to grind with trigger.  I fondly remember his nutmeg against Maldini in USA '94 as if it were yesterday. 

However, Brian Kerr is a fantastic manager.  People in the U.K. probabaly don't know much about him because he doesn't court the press (like many managers do when they want to boost their profile in preparation for their next job).  Kerr is completely dedicated to the cause of managing Ireland and securing qualification for the world cup.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - The Players Lounge