Blast from the past - Liverpool 3 borissia monchengladbach 1!

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby stmichael » Thu May 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Thought that I would post this as for nostalgic reasons.

25th May 1977 Liverpool 3 Borussia Moenchengladbach 1
(European Cup final)

Bob Paisley MBE

In arguably the greatest night in Liverpool's history, the European Cup was won with a fine victory over a strong German side. The victory in Rome completed the quest that had been started by Bill Shankly thirteen years earlier and made up for the heartbreak of losing the FA Cup final the previous Saturday. Although all the players were undoubted heroes, a special mention has to be reserved for Tommy Smith, who was so elated at the success that he decided to postpone his retirement for one more year.

Liverpool's European adventure began in Iceland in August 1964 and the Reds so nearly reached the final in that first season, going out to Inter Milan in controversial fashion in the semi finals. Shankly's two further attempts at European Cup glory both ended in the 2nd round, but his trusted assistant Bob Paisley learned the lessons of earlier campaigns. Having won the UEFA Cup in 1976, Paisley had every reason to believe that the ultimate success could be achieved in his first crack at the big one in 1977.

Liverpool found themselves chasing a treble that year but although they secured the league title they were cruelly beaten by Manchester United in the FA Cup final some four days before the trip to Rome. Many a side would have cracked but after the heartbreak of losing at Wembley, the Reds players were determined to win in the Eternal City. They had been led to believe that around 8,000 Reds fans would be present, but when they went out onto the pitch before the game and saw that 25,000+ were there, they told themselves they could not possibly lose this game.

Liverpool started with the side that had finished the cup final, meaning Ian Callaghan started instead of David Johnson. Tommy Smith, who had been out of favour for much of the season and was set to leave the club in the summer, retained his place for the game due to an injury to Phil Thompson. An Achilles injury to John Toshack meant that there was a place amongst the substitutes for Alan Waddle, who hadn't scored for the Reds for over three years.

The first chance of the game fell to Bonhof, who hit the post with a low shot, but Liverpool then took control and went ahead on 28 minutes. Ian Callaghan robbed Bonhof and put Heighway through on the right, who found Terry McDermott. The curly haired midfielder then coolly slotted the ball past the keeper to put the Reds in the lead and the score remained that way until half time.

Liverpool came under the cosh for the early part of the second half and it was just six minutes old when Allan Simonsen scored after he latched on to a poor backpass from Case. Ten minutes later, Ray Clemence was forced to make a brilliant diving save at the feet of Stieleke as the German side threatened to overpower the Reds in a machine like way.

This brilliant save from Clemence was Liverpool's wake up call as they then regained their composure and on 64 minutes Tommy Smith stole in unnoticed to head home Heighway's corner. There was no way back for the Germans now and Liverpool were rampant. Victory was secured on 82 minutes when Bertie Vogts brought down Keegan in the area and Phil Neal stepped up to score the resultant penalty.

After the match there were huge celebrations back in Liverpool, while many of the fans in Rome sought out the team's hotel and gatecrashed the buffet. Bob Paisley didn't touch a drop of alcohol all night, wishing to be able to remember every single moment of the party. In her silver jubilee year, Queen Elizabeth II sent a telegram of congratulations and there was an OBE for Bob Paisley. Winning goal scorer Tommy Smith received an MBE and decided to stay at Liverpool after all, turning down the chance to manage Wigan Athletic in the process.

Oh happy days!

p.s were any members of this forum there?

:)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JohnBull » Thu May 27, 2004 3:04 pm

I was on a 43 seater coach from Kenny (Kensington) The coach returned with ONE fella on board the rest of us returned in dribs and drabs - the best one being 3 months after falling in love with an Italian bird even though he had a missus and two kids at home. Got battered when the credit cards ran out and the Italian dumped him!
The  best night of my life without doubt!
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stan Laurel » Thu May 27, 2004 4:20 pm

My old man went there and he had to stay overnight in custody because he was too drunk after Liverpool beat them. Lucky that next day later the Italian Policeman let him go so he can go back to hotel to be with friends and drive back to Liverpool on the mini-bus! He told me it was hell of great night on that day.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu May 27, 2004 5:27 pm

It was Fanf*kintastic !!! Tommy Smiths header put me in hospital ,I laughed so hard I cracked a rib. Sheer Joy :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby oldredeyes » Thu May 27, 2004 9:59 pm

One of the best nights I have ever had watching Liverpool.
I went to school with Tommy so his goal was something special to our 'gang' who went to the final.
I was floating on clouds for months.
Seems like yesterday!
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby edwardo » Thu May 27, 2004 11:09 pm

fantastic experience, one thing that really peed me off though, Tommy Smith had his testimonial while me and many others were still in Italy (p*****d)
edwardo

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 28, 2004 2:07 am

i was 10 so the ale didnt play a part but i remember running round tuebrook with my mates with a mini European cup replica and that watching a fight outside the flathouse on West Derby Road. then when i got home my old fella was puking after drinking too much whiskey.

Happy days
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Fri May 28, 2004 2:14 am

I was 11 at the time and at my Nans who didn't have a TV !!!!!!!!! :O  I was able to watch it in next door neighbours on my own on a little Black and White portable , still screamed the place down and remember it like it was yesterday (Wish it was !!! )

Having had the privalege of being at the 2001 UEFA CUp Final and loving every minute I can only imagine what it must have been like to be in Rome that night in 77. In Dortmund the police estimated that 35,000 Reds were there and I can honestly say it was the best experience of watching LFC LIVE I have had.

My best game ever watched on TV was that 77 final  :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri May 28, 2004 3:28 am

I was 8 at thet time and was in England when my old man went for further studies in East Anglia. I started supporting Liverpool in early '76 with my elder brother and we'd always play as Keegan-Toshack in the back yard of the house.

After the cup final, Keegan had signed for Hamburg SV and we'd pray that Liverpool would sign the great striker from Celtic who we'd only get to see highlights of his goalscoring feats on BBC. Before we returned to Malaysia after my dad finished his post-graduate studies, we foud out that Liverpool did sign that Celtic player, Kenny Dalglish.

I was lucky enough to have been in England again in 1988 and had watched 2 matches of Norwich-Liverpool at Carrow Road but Dalglish did not play anymore then but was always standing at the Liverpool dug-out. Liverpool were playing very fluid "champagne football" as John Motson had said during that season.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Fri May 28, 2004 11:11 am

I watched highlights of the Borrusia Moenchengladbach game (for the umpteenth time) last night on DVD.  If any of you have got the "Three Great Managers" collection - Shankley, Paisley & Dalglish, get it today.  It's fantastic.  On each DVD there are extra.  On the Paisley DVD they include highlights of footage that was taken at anfield and Melwood in May 1977, before the cup finals.  Interviews were done with Peter Robinson, John Smith, Paisley, Keegan & others.....Brilliant

Seán
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 28, 2004 11:54 am

Man, I wish was 10 years older, my greatest night as an LFC fan was wathcing the 1984 final on TV (only 8 years old) and pretending I was Brucie the next day, the only day when kids wanted to go in goal
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zackboxer » Fri May 28, 2004 12:33 pm

I was 9 at the time and remember crying my eyes out when the Mancs beat us in the cup final the saturday before and blowing the chance we had for the treble.
(Always hated the ****** after that!!  :) )

Winning the European Cup for the first time was something else.
That Tommy Smith goal has got to be my favourite one ever, makes my spine tingle thinking about it even now.
Great days !!  :)  :)  :)
zackboxer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue May 17, 2005 11:21 pm

:bump

Retrieved this thread for a little preparation read...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Wed May 18, 2005 1:54 pm

Nice one.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 18, 2005 2:20 pm

Good stuff. 

I have got a real treat coming up later for everyone.  Keep your eyes posted. :cool:
jonnymac1979

Return to Liverpool FC - Games