Who's available? - If gh gets the chop.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:35 pm

Well the pressure is back on GH even though he denies it.I can hear the guillotine blade being raised now,with it's razor sharp edge glistening ready to remove the head of monsieur Houllier.But who is waiting in the wings to replace him;
Phil Thompson?
Martin O'Neill?
Glen Hoddle?
There is not a great deal around,unless we looked abroad again.One person I have noticed,who has become more prominent over the last few weeks,is John Toshack.He hasn't spent so much time on the tv for years,as he has recently.And listening to his assessment of games and how he would change things is very interesting.With his experience in management at the top level in Europe and his obvious connection to Liverpool,I think he would come into the reckoning for the job as manager.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby THEBARON » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:45 pm

I think Toshack would have been the right choice when Kenny left back in 1991 but I am not so sure now. He has been away from the English game for a long time and although his managerial cv is impressive his record is mixed. Yes he would have a wider knowledge of europe and players abroard but so did Houllier and look at some of the gems that he has acquired for us. On the plus side I feel he could cope with the media hype and pressure well having managed in Spain. I just don't know if the time is right.
THEBARON

Postby supersub » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:50 pm

What's the "english game",is it the way Arsenal play it or how Ranieri gets Chelsea to play or is it the style Fergie employs at manu,because they are the templates we have use to find the answer to our problems.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:12 pm

supersub wrote:One person I have noticed,who has become more prominent over the last few weeks,is John Toshack.He hasn't spent so much time on the tv for years,as he has recently.

Toshak has been commentating on Irish tv a lot over the last few years.

I have some Spanish friends and they all think that Toshak is an absolute joke as a manager, in the same way people laughed at Christian Gross.

In my opinion, Toshak would be another step backwards.

As for availability there:

Claus Topmuller: his Bayer Leverskusen team of 2002 was excellent, but he lost his job last year after a bad run. Looks like he's going to get the Hamburg job in Germany.

Hector Cuper: an absolute top notch coach, but he focuses a lot on defence, and is untried in the Premiership.

Glenn Hoddle: a non starter.

John Barnes: disaster at Celtic.

Kenny Dalglish: unlikely he'll ever manage a side again.

Ian Rush: a wild outside bet.

Phil Thompson: did very well as caretaker when GH was ill, but hardly a realistic long term reality.

George Graham: a dinousar.

Guus Hiddink: currently employed, but he'd never win the Premiership at Liverpool.

Lothar Mattheus: Was a disaster in Austria, but his Partizan Belgrade team is making waves.

Jean Tigana: would be better than Houllier....a possibility?

Gianluca Vialli: Wants to return to management in England, but Liverpool would resemble his Chelsea team all over: a good cup side (which is what we are already).

Ruud Gullit: unrealistic.

Ronald Koeman: Doing a brilliant job at Ajax, but rumour has it that Barcelona have him lined up.

Raddy Antic: Did ok as Barca caretaker coach last year and wants a job in England, but he'd probably be another Houllier.

Alan Curbishley: Doing very well at Charlton, but could he handle a big club?

Louis Van Gaal: He'd sign the likes of over-hill Dutch players like Overmars and Cocu, and would come out with worse excuses for losing than Houllier.

For me, the only man for the job is Martin O' Neill. He could be the new Shankly.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:53 pm

I think Gordan Strachan is the best man for the job. He can install some passion in to those over paid lossers, but if we want to go for a another approach maybe Gus Hiidink is the man, he is an arsene wenger type manager who has made noises about coming to the premership.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:07 pm

Personally I would love to see either Hector Cuper or Gordon Strachan come in. Martin O'neill is top notch but I don't like his style of play i.e wing backs. Strachan would bring unbelieveable passion and would take no sh*t from any over payed primadonna's at the club. The thing that impresses me most is the fact he calls a spade a spade with no convoluted warblings a la Monsieur Houllier. Cuper brings huge European experience to the table, although, as pointed out to me before is probably too defence minded after the problems we've had over the last 5 years. Still they would me my choices for the job.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby cheesecakery » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:10 pm

what about me being manager?

what do you think?

take time , toss the idea about and let me know what you think,
give me some feed back , if its favorable i'll get an application form
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby big al » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:48 pm

Cheesey I would love you as manager but could you get away from the cushy PR job you've got at Man U.  I'm also glad your still about mate because I do so want to show you my *****, the one you think I should get along to Anfield more often.  On a serious note however.  I have been advocating Gordon Strachan for some weeks now.  I like his style. 

He has Southampton playing like a poor mans Man U and although I hate saying this thats exactly how the great Liverpool teams played. Ie Man U players never stop working, closing the opposition down, they have width on both sides of the pitch. They're true professsionals on and of the pitch ( Rio?)They are ruled over by a man who demands abslute loyality and that professionalism on and of the pitch.  Fergie must at some point looked at Bill Shankly and said that's who I want to be like.

He's not in my book a patch on Shanks but he is tryin,
in fact he's actually very tryin! 

The point is Wee Gordon is from that school of thought.

That hard knocks tough background. He appreciates that football is not a bussiness.   

For those amongst you that have stood on the freezing cold terraces of Anfield or travelled to the edges of europe and now sit in a seat on the spot that five men once shared. For those who survived and yet lost family and friends at Hillsbrough, For those that came through Heysel knew greater sadness than such as me, For those that saw all the absolute highs over victory over the great team of Eurpoe and those that saw all the absolute lows of sadness and loss, this is not some wee insignificant bussiness were profit is made.  Sitting here in Belfast I am humbled by you true Liverpool fans out their.  I hope however that I understand this! that this club and Saturday afternoons at three o'clock at Anfield is a way of life for you.  I salute you all and more importantly I believe Grodon Strachan would too.

It maybe only a game to so many but I believe that to the best football fans in the world ie those who fornightly attend Anfield this club owes you something for your loyality.  the premier league crown would be a start. I appeal to Gh move on mate and let someone elso more capable deliver to their dreams
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Oct 23, 2003 2:54 pm

Who the hell is cheesecakery, and stop taking over

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:11 pm

:D forget strachan!! where do you get this misconception  from, that he,s a "great motivator"? I think you are a bit off course with that one!.    :D
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:15 pm

Cheesecakery is the king, The lord of the over statement, the master of fun, the purveyor of other peoples stories, The prince who wants to see my *****.  Cheescakery is the only Man U fan who is an advanced member on the discussion board.  My goodness Has where have you been.  Who is Cheesecakery? that's like asking if the queen has soldiers?, is the pope catholic?, did Clinton really not have sexual relations with that women?  Cheesecakery is our next potential manager. In fact I'm supporting him.  Cheesey you have all the attributes of the current manager. oh wait a mintue I forgot Cheesey actually does know what he's talking about sometimes.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:19 pm

How can you question gordan strachan motivation skiils, he kept a cr#p coventry side up for years and southampton are never second to a 50-50 ball, see for yourself.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:27 pm

:( And you think that these are the right credentials to become manager of one of the greatest english clubs this country has ever seen? I  doubt  he could acheive half the success that GH has brought us over the last 5 yrs?. why dont you ask the users of this forum if they think he is the man for the job!!.. lets set up a vote on it?? [ I will be very surprised if he comes out top in that poll??. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:30 pm

I'd vote for him
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby big al » Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:31 pm

I'd vote for him.  Red give us your alternatives
big al
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion