Wayne bridge

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mike72 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:57 am

Gallas seems to be first choice left back at Chelsea and with the possibility of Cole also moving there, I reckon we could nick Bridge for about £4m in the summer.  Left back is definitely one of the areas where we need to upgrade, so is it worth making a bid?
mike72

Postby L-type » Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:07 am

I doubt he'd leave, he is still getting a few minutes here and there, and is apparently playing enough, and well enough to get called up to the England squad.  Doubt they'd let him go especially when they are vulnerable to sudden injury crisises..................
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:26 am

If we can get him, it's worth it and I think it would be a good buy. I think I've said about 20 times over the last two weeks about the sort of partnership he could create with Riise and how good it could be. IF, then yes.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liamac » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:28 am

Wayne Bridge or Traore ???  wow thats a difficult one !! :D :D
liamac
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:24 am

Riise is our left back.

Warnock should be our reseve left back and left mid.

Kewell, when fit, is first choice on the left.
115-1073096938

Postby mike72 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:33 am

I disagree...Riise is much better in midfield than in defence.  We need a better defender to play at left back.  I'd have sold Kewell last summer while we could still have got a decent fee for him.  He's never looked like reproducing Leeds form for us in 2 years, and he's not going to miraculously start now.  I would bring in Bridge if we can get him on the cheap to start at left back, and Riise can come in for him when he's injured, otherwise start him in midfield where you get the best out of him.
mike72

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:46 am

I'm sorry, but there's no way Chelsea would sell Bridge for £4m. It's like when people thought we'd be able to get Joe Cole for peanuts during the summer - it's not like the players are kicking up a fuss about not playing, and it goes without saying that Chelsea don't exactly need to get rid to free up transfer cash.
ivor_the_injun

Postby mike72 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 2:55 am

Mourinho has set his stall out, and the players who don't figure in his plans know the score by now (Parker, Bridge, Cole etc).  I would've thought there will be a good few players in that squad who will be looking for a new club in the summer, especially as Mourinho wants to bring more players in.  Anybody who has aspirations of breaking into their national team won't be happy with 10 starts a season.
mike72

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:35 am

ivor_the_injun wrote:I'm sorry, but there's no way Chelsea would sell Bridge for £4m. It's like when people thought we'd be able to get Joe Cole for peanuts during the summer - it's not like the players are kicking up a fuss about not playing, and it goes without saying that Chelsea don't exactly need to get rid to free up transfer cash.

But on the flip side of that, are they gonna care how much they get for him? Mourinho knows the size of the squad he wants, and if he's gonna splash out on that position then Bridge could go for around £4m, but probably a bit more. It's worth a pop as long as we don't get held for ransom. You can never tell with a club in Chelsea's position anyway. Look at their strikers. Gudjohnson, Crespo, Kezman, Drogba, and Forsell. Are they gonna keep them all? Especially if they go for Adriano? Crespo won't go for half as much as they paid for him if he goes. Forsell will go on the cheap if it's him, and Kezman will drop for penny's as that's all he was ever worth. So if Chelsea get another left sided defender, Bridge shouldn't come to that much. But who knows...?
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:55 am

The reason why bridge is not 1st choice @ chelsea is because he is not that sound defensively. So would you want him here ? We already have riise & traore. Lets look to strengthen other aspects of the teams b4 looking at the fullbacks.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:47 am

The_Rock wrote:The reason why bridge is not 1st choice @ chelsea is because he is not that sound defensively. So would you want him here ? We already have riise & traore. Lets look to strengthen other aspects of the teams b4 looking at the fullbacks.

Personally, I'd like to see Traore learn his trade as a centre half so we have some cover there and Riise has been shining too much on the wing to move him back. A riise/bridge partnership could turn into something special. So if we can get him, go for him.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kop Kid » Wed Feb 09, 2005 7:41 pm

Riise is a left back and we should stop putting square pegs in round holes no matter how well they do.  Traore is out of position at left back whilst yes Riise is playing well, but he is no left winger compared to an inform Kewell, Robben or Duff.

Lets use Riise to his strengths and he could quite easily be the best left back in the world.  Tall, strong, quick, but no robben im afraid.  Riise for left back and invest in a central defender of class and a third main striker.

Why are we even talking about wasting money on a left back, any true red should know by now we dont have money to flash about.  Lets invest wisely for a change.
Kop Kid

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:26 pm

Kop Kid wrote:Riise is a left back and we should stop putting square pegs in round holes no matter how well they do.  Traore is out of position at left back whilst yes Riise is playing well, but he is no left winger compared to an inform Kewell, Robben or Duff.

Lets use Riise to his strengths and he could quite easily be the best left back in the world.  Tall, strong, quick, but no robben im afraid.  Riise for left back and invest in a central defender of class and a third main striker.

Why are we even talking about wasting money on a left back, any true red should know by now we dont have money to flash about.  Lets invest wisely for a change.

Yeah, well. Speaking of an "in form" Kewell, I don't think we'll ever be seeing that illusive character ever again. The last I heard it was boarding a plane for Australia, carring two bags of cash and wearing a really wide smile.

As for playin people "out of position" I don't get it. If we stuck Sami H. up front and he scored a hat-trick every game, I'd soon forget about him being a centre half. I know that Riise's transformation hasn't been as drastic as that, but he's looked pretty special to me.

"In form" Kewell! Ha! That cracks me up!

:laugh:
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:01 am

I think Riise will continue to play games as a winger because Kewell isn't going to get back into form any soon. He's scored 6 six goals and while he may not be Robben he has only scored one less than Robben and is getting the job done on the pitch.

Traore could continue to play well and could get into a bad form,we'll wait and see.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby crazyhorse » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:24 am

If we had the 4 million to spend, i would prefer it went towards somewhere were are really lacking - RIGHT SIDE MIDFIELD.
At the moment we have cover at left back.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion