Superb article on rawk - Read this, you will be glad you did

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:10 pm

While the focus of many liverpool fans will have been distributed between a bizarre refereeing decision, a very poor piece of goalkeeping, and an away win that was somehow turned into an away draw, the focus of others will be on what could well signal the turning point of our whole season.

Whilst the frustrations of the villa park stalemate are highlighted by a league table which shows liverpool's points tally 2 points lower than it should be, liverpool got something out of this game that will not be reflected in any table.

Going into this game, the more logical fans amongst us must surely have been fearing the worst. Scintillating home games have often been followed by drab ones away. Fans who have visited anfield to sample the fine ale of smooth passing football and convincing victory, must wonder why they're served up such stale drivel when they go anywhere else.

If 2 games could be strung together as an acid test for liverpool's season so far, there could have been few better combinations than this. Arsenal at anfield would provide the first real chance for liverpool to dispel the theory that they would not be able to exert the same kind of authority over better sides than charlton, west brom, and city. And dispel it they did. In fine style.

But what must have been of equal interest to liverpool's army of followers, was whether they could finally put an end to the Jekyll and Hyde nature that had has seen liverpool go from convincing at home, to less than convincing away.

David O'Leary and the 40,000 villa fans in the stands could have been forgiven for thinking they had been transported through a secret portal that lead directly to anfield. Liverpool might as well have been the home side, such was their dominance. The fact that villa were able to go into the dressing room at half time on level terms was largely due to sky TV and the many idiots who give their "views" on controversial incidents throughout games.

Some of you might remember the game between fulham and arsenal where Ashley Cole was adjudged to have fouled Andy Cole. Referee mark Halsey initially gave a penalty to fulham. However, he , quote: "saw the look on the players faces and had second thoughts". He then proceeded  to do what any ref should do when he is in doubt. He went over to consult his linesman, who said that Andy Cole had knocked the ball too far ahead of himself and had lost his footing anyway. Upon viewing the reply, it was a fine decision. Infact, it was the type of thing we find ourselves constantly wishing more refs would do. Yet he got absolutely slated for it.

Apparently, he should not have changed his mind once he had made his initial decision. Even if, as it turned out, his initial decision was wrong. Andy gray and his pals really need to figure out whether they want refs to show "common sense", or stick to being plainly robotic in their decision making.

Whether people want to admit it or not, liverpool yesterday paid for Halsey's media barracking.

When Gavin McCain went down on the edge of the area, it was clear to everyone watching that he was being apologetic to Jamie carragher. He even went as far as to say that it wasn't a foul. If Halsey had shown the same open mindedness he did at craven cottage, liverpool would not have had to face the impending danger of a nolberto solano free kick. However, Mr. Halsey's eardrums would probably have had to face another bashing from the idiots who call themselves `football analysts`. That's the Media for you.

However, it is all by the by anyway, as nolberto solano's free kick was no trouble. Or at least it shouldn't have been.

You will never catch me jumping on any bandwagons of any sort. So the "Chris kirkland out" brigade can keep their extra seat. The reason I say this is because I don't want anyone to think that what I say is a knee jerk reaction of any kind. But for me, there are still deficiencies in kirkland's game which need rectifying before we can start laying claim to having "England's best keeper" on our hands.

For me, he is not agile enough. Maybe this can somehow be rectified in time. But it is something that has caught my eye on a number of occasions. Whilst he is a good shot stopper, and a commanding figure in his penalty area, his movement around it does not inspire you with confidence. I understand how hard it must be to lug around that giant frame of his, but it is this problem which has led to him being caught out on a couple of occasions this season. He sometimes gives the impression of the footballing equivalent of Vladimir klitschko. Very big, very strong, and has great strengths. But his weaknesses can sometimes be cruelly exposed.

He sometimes gives you the impression that his footwear was provided by the mafia rather than the liverpool coaching staff. His movement around the penalty area is more akin to someone wearing boots made from concrete than kevlar.

Nolberto solano's free kick was right in the middle of the goal. It actually went above kirkland's head. Every keeper makes mistakes, we more than anyone should know that. But what will worry liverpool fans more, is the fact that the villa equaliser owed more to kirkland just not being able to rectify his footing in time than it did to a misjudgment of the flight of the ball. Think shilton against germany, or seaman versus Brazil, and you're on the right track.

The difference between kirkland and the forementioned duo is that their inability to do get close to the ball was in no small part due to the fact that they were past it. Such physical shortcomings are expected from someone nearer 40 than 20. Kirkland's massive frame may be just as much a handicap as a bonus. However, I think that if the goalkeeping coaches can work to iron out his weaknesses, we will have a class keeper on our hands. Only time will tell. For now though, he is still very much work in progress.

But whilst there were a couple, yesterday's game was not about negatives.

For years now liverpool fans have been plagued with what is arguably the most infuriating thing to deal with. Inconsistency. Liverpool have turned more corners over the past half decade than a Japanese origami expert. So many times our hopes have been raised, only to be brought back down to earth with a thump.

The villa game represented an ideal opportunity for the liverpool team to show it's fans some sign of hope. A glimmer of consistency against a black backdrop of unpredictability.

Yesterday they did that.

For the first time since his tenure at anfield started, the signs are showing that the Rafael benitez influence is taking effect. Liverpool penned their opponents into their own half as if the fighting spirit benitez is trying to instill is finally beginning to sink in.

Villa were overwhelmed by a combination of hard work, slick passing, creative movement, and relentless pressure. If clinical finishing had been added to this list, liverpool would have been out of sight by half time.

the second 45 minutes saw a slight shift in the balance of play, although the few cynics who suggested that villa somehow had the better of the second half were well wide of the mark. Whilst liverpool didn't dominate the second period of the game in the manner they had the first, they were still by far the most imaginative team on the pitch. The best moves came from liverpool, the better control came from liverpool, and the defence restricted villa to no clear sights of goal.

Make no mistake, liverpool were the better team from minute 1 to minute 90.

But what, more than anything, should fill liverpool fans everywhere with more hope for the future, is the fact that such a commanding performance was enjoyed by a makeshift team.

Many plaudits are being laid at the door of mourinho at the moment. His side is sitting on top of the premiership, and has had its odds for the `quadruple` slashed to just 25-1 by some bookmakers.The fact that he has had an open checkbook with which to add to an already star studded squad doesn't seem to get mentioned much.  I wonder how well any of the big guns would fare at villa park with two fullbacks occupying the wide positions, ALL of their main strikers missing, two fullbacks who will definitely not be first choice when new faces arrive, and a substitute's bench which offers less in the way of variation than mourinho's personality.

It is testament to the coaching skills of benitez that such a crippling injury crisis has not been allowed to completely derail our entire season. He does not deserve to have to play second fiddle to the "big three" in the transfer market. It is vital that liverpool fc sort out investment to provide him with the funds to further the push toward the top.

When you consider what he has done with a banged together squad, with players out of position, injured, or simply not anywhere near good enough, it makes the prospect of him having power in the transfer market, and further time to reap the rewards of it, all the more mouthwatering.

The olympiakos game is an absolutely gigantic one financially for liverpool football club, and it is vital that they gather some momentum going into it. Qualification for the next round of the money pit that is the champions league is vital if Rafa's war chest is to be significantly boosted this January.

Even though Liverpool failed to grab all three points against villa, they did finally manage to continue the forward momentum they gathered from sundays game against arsenal.

If that gives us the impetus we need to go on and beat olympiakos comfortably, we will have gained far more than a mere 2 points.  We will have cut the purse strings which have so far prevented benitez from operating at full capacity.

If we do that, the likes of mourinho and wenger will not be alone in their quest for silverware this season.

Amazingly this was the guys first post, what a first post
!
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:24 pm

Good read that.  I like that RAWK website.  I registered on there, but I only ever post on here.
jonnymac1979

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:33 pm

Fantastic.. we should all read that everytime we start to feel under pressure
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby bigmick » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:39 pm

That is one brilliant piece of writing. top drawer. Leon you must spend absolutely all day trawling the internet mate. Much appreciated and all that, but what on earth do you do for a living? Whatever it is can you get me a job there? :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:41 pm

fantastic post leon
and his first one? maybe hes a journo giving his view coz he was writing with sublime skills
gonna send this one on to a few mates
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Dec 06, 2004 2:44 pm

What a great read!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:28 pm

dawson99 wrote:fantastic post leon
and his first one? maybe hes a journo giving his view coz he was writing with sublime skills
gonna send this one on to a few mates

I was a little suspicious of it, as where many other members.

It is worth a read though.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:56 pm

agree with most of the points except for the ref. If the ref is a spineless a$$ who is bullied into making decisions by opposition players & commentators, then he has no business officiating a match.

I reckon bad refs had caused us at least 7 points & i am being lenient here.

1)1 against bolton (garcia's disallowed goal)
2)2 against spurs (penalty foul on gerrard)
3)1 against brimingham (handball by muzzy idiot)
4)1 against scums (both the goals the scums scored should have been disallowed as fouls were comitted beforehand).
5)2 against villa (not a freekick, which led to a goal).

If garcia's goal had stood against boro who knows, we might have gone on to win the game (2 points)

Don't get me started on monaco game.

And the scums have a ref who awards them a penalty each time he officiates at old thrashford....... give me a break.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:21 pm

top read that, i think this somes up the job Rafa has done perectly.

"When you consider what he has done with a banged together squad, with players out of position, injured, or simply not anywhere near good enough, it makes the prospect of him having power in the transfer market, and further time to reap the rewards of it, all the more mouthwatering."
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:27 am

The_Rock wrote:agree with most of the points except for the ref. If the ref is a spineless a$$ who is bullied into making decisions by opposition players & commentators, then he has no business officiating a match.

4)1 against scums (both the goals the scums scored should have been disallowed as fouls were comitted beforehand).

If garcia's goal had stood against boro who knows, we might have gone on to win the game (2 points)

And the scums have a ref who awards them a penalty each time he officiates at old thrashford....... give me a break.

Refs' mistakes and dodgy decisions? Thats football: every team has their grievances with refs.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby adayinthelife » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:42 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:
The_Rock wrote:agree with most of the points except for the ref. If the ref is a spineless a$$ who is bullied into making decisions by opposition players & commentators, then he has no business officiating a match.

Refs' mistakes and dodgy decisions? Thats football: every team has their grievances with refs.

Agreed but the original poster was moaning about injuries which again is part of football.

The problem is houllier left us with such a poor squad in terms of quality and depth which has made it alot harder for Benitez to cope with the injuries.
Last edited by adayinthelife on Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion