RIP Sir Roger

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:15 pm

Sad news, Roger Hunt has passed away aged 83.  :down:  He was Liverpool striker during Shanks's first great team. Was knighted by the kop.  :bowdown

RIP Sir Roger
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:07 pm

Legend in every sense of the word.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:24 pm

Heard that news earlier  :down: May he RIP.

Still top goalscorer in the league for us which is a mighty feat considering the time passed.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:26 am

A real club legend.  RIP
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:26 am

red till i die!! » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:24 pm wrote:Heard that news earlier  :down: May he RIP.

Still top goalscorer in the league for us which is a mighty feat considering the time passed.

Yep, no one has scored more league goals for us, not even Rushsie or prolific old timers like Gorgon Hodgson.
Roger's goals took us from the old second division to the very top of the English game, his goals took us to our first League titles since just after the war and his goal against Leeds in the 65 final at Wembley helped us win our first ever FA Cup, a huge moment in the clubs history.
His goals very nearly took us to the European Cup as well, we smashed the team widely regarded as the best team in Europe at the time, Inter Milan, 3-1 in the semi final first leg at Anfield with Roger getting the first and running the famously frugal Italian defence ragged. The shenanigans of the second leg have also gone down in Anfield folklore but for all the wrong reasons, let's just be diplomatic and say some of the refereeing was questionable for instance like allowing a goal scored directly from an indirect free kick to stand and allowing a player who was flagged offside to kick the ball Tommy Lawrence was bouncing into the net. That game always gets a mention when the topic of potentially rigged games comes up.
But for that he would have had the full set of medals because he was a World Cup winner as well of course. So second division titles, first division titles, FA Cup's and World Cup's....not bad going for a lad from just up the East Lancs road.
Rest in peace you complete and utter legend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:02 am

Another legend of LFC and the '66 team gone.

Isn't there a regular a banner for Sir Roger at Anfield? I'm sure I've seen it a few times when I've been there
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion