Rhian Brewster

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redshade » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:13 pm

redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Initially sounded like BS to me but Sky Sports News (and other outlets like the Guardian) are saying that we would be prepared to sell him just as long as a low buyback clause was included in any deal.
Disappointing if true.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:42 pm

If true then it is a shame I must admit, I really thought Brewster will be the next big thing here. Maybe have a similar impact like Sterling.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:16 pm

Great at finding space in dangerous areas, cool when in goal scoring positions, works hard, and has good aggression. But his build up play last season looked poor even by Championship standards. When Lewandowski joined Dortmund, Klopp played him as a 10 at first to improve his all round game. Brewster could do with something similar but realistically where is he going to get that sort of opportunity. Serious injuries have slowed his career down but realistically if at 20 Klopp is deeming Brewster not even good enough to be a backup to the front 3 then the likelihood is that he never will be.
Eagle

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:13 am

Surprised he is up for sale myself as he hasn't been given a proper chance. I would sell Origi first as he has had 6 years and still not good enough.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:55 am

So if we're agreed that we're selling him too soon it appears that Klopp needs to sell before he can buy...
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:46 am

Reg » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:55 am wrote:So if we're agreed that we're selling him too soon it appears that Klopp needs to sell before he can buy...

Or maybe Klopp, a world class manager who has worked first hand with Brewster over the last couple of years, is in a better place to make an assessment on Brewster and what to do with him.
Eagle

Postby kazza » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:50 am

True, he was more than happy to give Trent a shot
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:32 pm

To be fair very few young lads go on to become first team regulars, we’ve had a handful over the years who have successfully made the transition into the first team (Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Gerrard, Carragher, Sterling etc) but when you look at the number of players we’ve let go in that same time period it’s a tiny percentage that actually go on to make it.
It’s probably 1 in a 100, maybe even 1 in 200, how many lads have gone through the academy between Sterling and Trent breaking through?
Brewster did seem to have a lot of promise (junior World Cup winner, scoring hat trick against Brazil in semi’s and opening goal of final etc) but statistically speaking the odds back Jurgen up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:12 pm

It is best to take hype next time with a pinch of salt. Soo many lads hyped up and usually end up in average or even below average careers. I don't know if it is natural development or pressure of the "hype" that changes things for the lads.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:56 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:32 am wrote:To be fair very few young lads go on to become first team regulars, we’ve had a handful over the years who have successfully made the transition into the first team (Fowler, Owen, McManaman, Gerrard, Carragher, Sterling etc) but when you look at the number of players we’ve let go in that same time period it’s a tiny percentage that actually go on to make it.
It’s probably 1 in a 100, maybe even 1 in 200, how many lads have gone through the academy between Sterling and Trent breaking through?
Brewster did seem to have a lot of promise (junior World Cup winner, scoring hat trick against Brazil in semi’s and opening goal of final etc) but statistically speaking the odds back Jurgen up.

The players you mentioned not only made the transition to the first team, I’d argue that they were world class players which makes that bar very high. Reality is more that they make a good living and play in the premiership for mid table teams, there are a lot more of those, Brewster is more likely one of those.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:13 pm

Seems like a good kid, but just don't think he's good enough to cut it at this level.

I'd take £20m with a buy back clause...but think he'll end up like a Ibe and Solanke.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:20 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.outloo ... ted/361392

Like yakka mentioned in a different thread, he's officialy off to Sheffield for £23.5m. We've included a buy-back clause valid for 3 years and a 15% sell-on clause as well. Looks like a nice deal and I think it was probably the right move for everybody. Best of luck to him.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:23 pm

Whatever happened to this lad?

Was chatting to a mate who's a Blades fan and he reckons he's one of their worst ever signings.  And was hoping we'd activate the buy back clause.

He's scored 4 or 5 goals since his transfer. I remember when he was hailed as the next big thing.

Odd how it plays out for some promising lads.  :(
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:43 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:23 pm wrote:Whatever happened to this lad?

Was chatting to a mate who's a Blades fan and he reckons he's one of their worst ever signings.  And was hoping we'd activate the buy back clause.

He's scored 4 or 5 goals since his transfer. I remember when he was hailed as the next big thing.

Odd how it plays out for some promising lads.  :(

He did his knee and ankle in one go while playing for us. Seemingly the surgery didn't go well first time round and I think he ended up having 3-4 surgeries and 18 months out. Must have had an effect on him.
Eagle

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion