Rafa aiming high

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:41 pm

Source:LFC.tv

Rafael Benitez today hailed his Liverpool players after their 2-1 victory over Arsenal and declared: "We can finish higher than fourth." 
Neil Mellor's 90th minute winner secured the points for the home side after Patrick Vieira had cancelled out Xabi Alonso's first half opener.

"This is a fantastic result," said the boss. "Fantastic for the players and fantastic for the supporters.

"We played very well in the first half and then Arsenal played well in the second half and we went on the counter attack.

"The players did everything we talked about building up to this game. We worked hard during the week and the lads did what we wanted them to do today.

"All the goals in the game were very good and it was nice to see Mellor's late strike go in.

"We want to keep doing the right things now in the coming games. Can we finish higher than fourth? Sure, why not? I don't know how high we can go but we will keep working to win matches." 

Impossible is nothing, we proved that today at Anfield. Comming into this game the best result for us some thought would be a draw because nobody really believed[other than us fans] that we could pull it off as we are hammered by injuries. But we've just proved everyone wrong who doubted us. Injuries are not an execuse as we won today by playing intelligently and playing with heart which is something we did not do against Boro.

We played as a unit, not as individuals and today's victory will definetly make a difference at the end of the season. Yes we have weaknesses but who doesn't? By making our weakness our strength and playing like we did today great things will happen.

And it looks like we are going back to scoring in the last minute of the game  :D . Great result,great performance by the lads. What a ****** day.

Cheers
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:33 pm

You can finish higher than forth?!

Where do you lot think you'll finish this season?
77-1099054247

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:34 pm

ManUtd wrote:You can finish higher than forth?!

Where do you lot think you'll finish this season?

3rd.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:36 pm

3rd or 4th
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:37 pm

We'll still finish 4th, I think, although hopefully a lot closer to the front runners.

Fantastic win today, and as AB said above, one of the main differences was that we showed heart and fight, qualities not present when we played Boro last week. If we show the same fight against the likes of Portsmouth and Southampton then we'll go places this year.

I think Man UTd are beginning to get a run going, but I cannot see them winning the title. Chelsea are awesome at the moment, although they too will have a bad patch, while I think Arsenal will come again, mark my words.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby banana » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:38 pm

Rafa is the man.

Alonso is our best signing since John Barnes. From now on we should only sign proven quality. Not the next Zidane, the next Henry, the next whatever.

In 2 years Rafa will be ready. We can win everything with players like Alonso, Carra, Baros and Gerrard.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 77-1099054247 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Hhhmmm...me thinks...at the end of the season, it will look something like:

Chelsea
Man Utd
Arsenal
Liverpool
77-1099054247

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:39 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:We'll still finish 4th, I think, although hopefully a lot closer to the front runners.

Fantastic win today, and as AB said above, one of the main differences was that we showed heart and fight, qualities not present when we played Boro last week. If we show the same fight against the likes of Portsmouth and Southampton then we'll go places this year.

I think Man UTd are beginning to get a run going, but I cannot see them winning the title. Chelsea are awesome at the moment, although they too will have a bad patch, while I think Arsenal will come again, mark my words.

Can't disagree with that. Chelsea are solid at the moment but sooner or later they will run out of gas and the Gooners will be up there again. It will be a battle between us and the Mancs after January. I do not expect Everton to stay up there much longer, all that goes up must go down.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:44 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:We'll still finish 4th, I think, although hopefully a lot closer to the front runners.

I agree JBG, its hard to see which of those three we're going to finish ahead of, but it's certainly not impossible. I cant see who else could get fourth ahead of us, I'm waiting patiently for Everton's collapse to begin.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:45 pm

I agree JBG, its hard to see which of those three we're going to finish ahead of, but it's certainly not impossible. I cant see who else could get fourth ahead of us, I'm waiting patiently for Everton's collapse to begin.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:51 pm

I think that, in fairness, its extremely difficult for us to predict what we are going to do. We are still playing with a makeshift side and the manager's ideas and the new players will take a while to bed in.

I still maintain that December will be the crucial month, given our injuries. We jhave given oursleves a MASSIVE boost by beating Arsenal and this makes up for losing to Boro (indeed had we drawn with Boro and Arsenal there wouldn't have been too many grumbles and yet we would have been a point worse off!)

Now we need to beat Spurs to progress in the League Cup and 100 times more importantly, beat Olympiakos to progress in the Champions League. At the same time we need to keep fighting in the league and puts some points on the board until Baros and Garcia return from injury and we get one or two new faces in in January. Its still hard to say, but if we get over our injuries and the new guys in January make an instant impact, it could be interesting.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion