R.I.P Ray Clemence

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Sadly one of the true legends of this club passed away today, Ray was a stalwart through our glory years, signed by Bill Shankly in the late 60’s when the club was drifting he left over a decade later with 5 league titles, 3 European Cups, 2 UEFA Cups, the FA Cup and League Cup to his name.
Like Keegan at the other end of the pitch Ray was big time, he was at his best in the big moments, his clean sheet record is stuff of legend in itself but what’s not often spoken about was his resilience, in an era when keepers weren’t protected from target men centre forwards and played on all sorts of surfaces from mud baths to frozen ice rinks Ray missed just 7 games in a decade for us, in fact no other player in English football played more top flight league games during the 1970’s than Ray Clemence.
He was one of the people who helped make this club what it is, his reception when he returned to Anfield with Spurs said it all, that was more than respect for an ex player, that was love.
RIP you great man and thanks for the memories.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:15 am

Good post, a true legend! He actually made me want to be a keeper when I was 10/11 and along with Keegan my favorite player.

YNWA

Rest In Peace
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:00 am

First keeper I remember, I was devastated when he went to Spurs. RIP Ray.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 am

RIP. YNWA!
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:41 pm

True legend. RIP Ray
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion