Quagmire

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby cheesecakery » Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:28 pm

Latest excuse for gerry howliers excuse book ,...
"the lads had to play on a QUAGMIRE in Europe in midweek"
and they were tired !  :D  :;):  :p
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby simic_ie » Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:42 pm

Must be a pretty small books cos its always only one of three excuses:
1) Too tired
2) Created enough chances but couldn't finish them (usually cos its Heskey who they fall to.)
3) We deserved at least a draw, we were unlucky, but I thought the boys showed , great character and determination.

I don't really think that we can look too harshly on Gerard Houllier from todays result though. He picked the best team available, apart maybe for leaving Flo Sinama-Pongolle on bench, then again he may be a bit young too start these kind of matches. Emile Heskey has to start now because everyone else is injured. The goals conceeded were unlucky, If the first hadn't fluked in then I don't believe the second would have went in cos Liverpool wouldn't have been as committed to attack. Jerezy Dudek sould have stopped the second in any case though I thought the defending was good, Man U didn't really have a chance until after the first goal, even Djimi Traore played well, making an excellent tackle stopping the Horseface getting yet anotner tap in.

Liverpool should have had a penalty, Heskey slipped at the worse possible moment when his chance came (something familiar there though). Liverpool have been extremely unlucky against all the big teams this year, they have outplayed both MAn U and Arsenal but just didn't get the breaks.

Liverpool will improve I have no doubt about that. They will improve when Didi Hamman gets back, it's been the pattern ever since he arrived at Liverpool. They have struggled defensivly without him.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:50 pm

yes we have been the better team for long spells against Arsenal and manu,but we have to kill them off because you know they will always get a chance.Sadly when your main striker is Amealovit Heskey then things will always look bleak.As usual Heskey played well for the first 20-25 minutes but once again he decided enough was enough and stopped working.I noticed Gerrard give Heskey a good mouthful towards the end of the first half because he wasn't making any runs,he was just standing around like a soft lemon.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 116-1065305004 » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:09 pm

Houllier please stop the bullsh#t and do everyone a favour AND QUIT NOW PLEASE!....................
Whether Liverpool were unlucky or not being unlucky and losing home games does not win you any titles does it? :angry:  :angry:
116-1065305004

Postby Red » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:26 pm

cheesecakery wrote:"the lads had to play on a QUAGMIRE in Europe in midweek"
and they were tired !

Well they did, and they were. Yet they kept pushing until the last hooter.

I was proud of my team, even in defeat. I have confidence things will turn in our favour if not this season, next. My god didnt Florent Sinama Pongolle kick some *****! Defence was n't at all worried by Heskey, this lil fella comes on and they are in dissarray.

Oh well, anyone wanna buy a used Striker? He's tall and has international experience, goin cheap, fo yu three million
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby supersub » Sun Nov 09, 2003 11:34 pm

Who would buy him?
I am not too down-hearted either,just p#ssed that we didn't get our just desserts.But like you,red,I know we are going in the right direction but wether GH is the man to take us there I am not convinced.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:15 am

supersub wrote:Who would buy him?
I am not too down-hearted either,just p#ssed that we didn't get our just desserts.But like you,red,I know we are going in the right direction but wether GH is the man to take us there I am not convinced.

Well the reality is we will be on these pages in November 2004 and it will be the same old story Liverpool will be grinding out poor results and Houllier will somehow still be in charge giving us all pathetic excuses! :angry:  :angry:
116-1065305004

Postby supersub » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:20 am

No I don't think so.GH will be history if we fail to qualify for the champions league.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby 116-1065305004 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:28 am

supersub wrote:No I don't think so.GH will be history if we fail to qualify for the champions league.

I hope your right mate, I just hope your right! :(  :(
116-1065305004

Postby azriahmad » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:30 am

I hope supersub is right about GH becoming history if Liverpool did not qualify for the Champions' League at the end of the season. He has had a long honeymoon and was given so much money to spend during that period and mostly bought planks at high prices.
I liked simic_ie's reference to the delivery van man as "Horseface"... Come to think of it, he does resemble that animal. But, say what we like about him, his goalscoring record is fantastic and Man U has always been able to get several of their players to score goals whrn the Horseface is in a lean form. Liverpool, however, is too reliant on Owen and when he is injured or having a lean period, the ultimate plank of a player, Heskey, will always fail to deliver no matter what chances come his way.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gaz31 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:32 am

gh will be gone by the end of this season (monaco are calling him) and we will have a new boss the one and only KEVIN KEEGAN :D
When you get the ball, I want you to beat a couple of men and smash the ball into the net, just the same way you used to at Bury," said Shankly. Lindsay replied: "But Boss that wasn't me, it was Bobby Kerr." Shankly turned to Bob Paisley and said: "Christ Bob, we've signed the wrong player."
gaz31
LFC Elite Member

Postby Red » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:59 am

What about Terry Sherringham for manager if he retires at the end of the season?
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:13 am

Fair enough Liverpool played well and probably deserved a draw, but realsitically for all of our side's good play we never really threatened UTD in front of goal. There were only two or three half chances in the first half.

I know people pick on Heskey a lot, but I think that yesterday's game proved without a shadow of a doubt that he's simply not good enough. Ferdidnand and Silvestre won most of the headers, and Heskey simply didn't have the confidence to turn on the ball and attack towards goal. His timing is absolutely rubbish. Remember Smicer's run into the box after half an hour? He played the ball slightly behind Heskey, after Heskey mistimed his run to the near post. Heskey stuck out a foot and it spilled away. If it had been Van Nistlerooy, Owen or Henry, even if they had mistimed their run, they would have re-adjusted their footing and tried to bring the ball under control. Heskey really lacks class in these kind of positions.

His miss at the end was absolutely terrible. I can think of at least 15 other strikers in the Premiership who would have put that chance away at the end. Houllier might argue that Heskey slipped, but the reason he slipped was that he got a rush of blood to the head and swung his leg far too wildly, causing him to fall over. Had he got his foot to it I reckon he would have put his shot wildly over the bar anyway, such was the force in the swing.

Personally, I was disgusted with a miss he had from a free header he had about ten minutes before the end. He got up well and all he had to do was cushion his header to the left of Howard. Instead he put it miles wide....in some ways it was as bad a miss as the one at the death.

The plus points were Sinama-Pongolle, who caused mayhem when he came on. UTD's defence simply couldn't handle his pace. It angers me to think what Owen could have achieved had he been fit.

Diouff also had a good first half, and Troare probably had his best game yet in a Liverpool shirt. La Tellec also looked very comfortable when he came on. That boy has a wonderful touch.

One other minus point was Gerrard. He still insists and hitting every pass first time. He gave the ball away too many times yesterday with overly ambitious passes.

However, if Gerrard learns to vary his passes I do think that he could well become the best midfield general in the world. It is an exciting prospect.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:33 pm

I cannot believe some of you guys thinking that we are heading in the right direction. We are not. Why on earth have you settled for mediocrity, thinking that the lads have been unlucky when the long term sequence of results is depressingly poor.

We have played the top three heavyweights at home (sadly, we are no longer a heavyweight) and lost each time. It's not a question of luck. And last season, of the eight matches we played against the four teams ahead of us, we won ONCE. In fact if you take these results together (the eight from last season and the three at home this season) it reads....played 11.....won 1, drawn 3, lost 7!! That's not bad luck. It's a fundamental problem with GH, his tactics and his team's inability to get something from big games.

GH has thrown in the towel on winning the title after 12 games. When was the last time a Liverpool manager did that? He now wants Liverpool to get fourth place, as if that is some sort of achievement. It is disgraceful that the Board puts up with it. And it is equally disgraceful that some of the fans on this Board think that we are heading in the right direction when the results and performances indicate that we have lost touch with Arsenal, United, and Chelsea. The facts speak for themselves.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:42 pm

Our form over the last 12 months is not much better than relegation form.

Fair enough, you might understand a two month bad spell, but 12 months?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion