Pure class - carlos valderrama - Goal.com/gavin dunne

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JBG » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:08 pm

Pure Class - Carlos Valderrama

In the third article in his new series profiling some of the heroes of the game who can best be described as... pure class, Goal.com correspondent Gavin Dunne considers the unique skills of Colombian legend Carlos Valderrama…
Photo

Carlos Valderrama stands out in a crowd, but not just because of his hair. Cultured and elegant with a ball at his feet, his genius is history in the world of football.

Dirt streets for a pitch and almost anything for a ball, Colombia produced its greatest footballer the way so many nations produced theirs. Those same streets of Santa Monica, birthplace of Valderrama, are now home to a twenty foot, seven tonne bronze statue of the man known as “El Pibé”. A fitting homage to a player who brought great joy to the nation of Colombia, and anyone who had the privilege to watch him play.

“El Pibé” or The Kid, began his career at Colombian outfit Union Magdelena in 1981 as a twenty year old, relatively late considering his talent.

Staying in his home country enjoying stints with Deportivo Cali, and Millionarios, he moved to French side Montpellier in 1988 where he achieved Cup success. However the French government didn’t warm to his tax affairs and he left for Valladolid in Spain after two years. A return to Colombia a couple of years later was followed by a remarkable eight years in the MLS of the US. Considering the career of a central midfielder is more often than not a little shorter than those of players in other positions, it is testament to El Pibé that he could play into his forties.

It is true that Valderrama had a remarkable playing style. A sixth sense for positioning meant he was simply ahead of the game. Thus seeing Carlos sprint was like catching a glimpse of Jan Molby in full flight - it never happened, although unlike Molby it wasn’t his weight that held up proceedings.

One of his greatest admirers, Diego Maradona, said after The Kid retired: “He showed all Colombians how to play football. He could still be playing today, he doesn’t need to run anywhere to play”.

Natural ability was the reason Valderrama could play the game at his pace. A fulcrum in midfield, his range of passing was similar to a Koeman and Redondo rolled into one. Pinpoint long balls and delightful short balls made the Colombian famous for creating attacks and delivering the telling pass. Valderrama played the game at a stroll, because he could.

From a fine footballing dynasty; his father, three uncles, four cousins and two brothers all professional footballers, Carlos stood out a mile with his unruly electrified frizzy red hair. Destined to play for his country, he fulfilled his dream in 1985, and shortly afterwards became captain. Obtaining 111 caps, he is his country’s most capped player, leading his side to three World Cups. A wonderful memory is of him beating three players and putting Rincon through to equalise against the tournament winners West Germany in 1990 - perhaps El Pibé’s finest moment in his country's colours. Although Colombia often failed to deliver as promised, they still entertained, with Carlos in the middle. Unwittingly a chat with club colleague Roger Milla may have led to Higuita’s dribbling blunder in Italia ‘90 as the two had talked about the manic keeper's tendency for madness.

Sadly El Pibé was a great friend of Colombian defender Escobar who was famously killed after scoring an own goal in the World Cup of 1994. “It's very difficult for me to talk about him. It's very painful, he was very close to me. That has been my worst experience playing the sport”.

In an extended career twilight, Valderrama became Major League Soccer's all-time leader in assists, was the League's most valuable player and an MLS all-star amongst other things. Adding these accolades to his two-time South American player of the year, three-time Colombian player of the year and outstanding Copa America Player awards, The Kid can be proud of his career.

At his testimonial, the likes of Enzo Francescoli, Jose Chilavert and from the stands Maradona, celebrated Carlos's career. “The time has come for me to say goodbye, and I do so with all the tranquillity in the world”.

Now he is focused on becoming a coach and eventually national coach. “I enjoy a challenge, but one cannot reach this post without adequate credentials. I have to prepare myself and get myself qualified.

Before he does become national coach, he can listen to a song recorded in honour of him by Madrid de los Austrios while sipping one of the 30,000 bottles of limited edition wine tributed to him by an Argentine wine house. The president of Roices de Agrela noted: “This will enable Colombians to toast his footballing success.”

The world will see Carlos Valderrama again soon, of that there is little doubt. “I love soccer. It's inside of me. It's in my blood”.

Gavin Dunne
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion