Pongo back in training

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:56 am

NEWS STORY
SINAMA-PONGOLLE BACK IN TRAINING
Mark Platt 01 August 2005 
  Florent Sinama-Pongolle is back in full training and ready to boost Liverpool's attacking options ahead of the new season. 
Pongolle has been out of action since suffering a knee injury during the Carling Cup semi-final defeat of Watford in January.

The young French striker suffered a tear to his left anterior cruciate ligament - an injury that ruled him out of the Reds' glorious end to last season.

He is yet to figure in Liverpool's summer programme but will soon be hoping to stake his claim for a first team recall as he continues to step up his bid for full fitness at Melwood.

Since joining the Reds' from Le Havre in 2003 the highly-rated Pongolle has scored six goals in 49 games.

------------------------------------------------------------

Good news he had a good season last year. Maybe rafa will use him on the wing because when he came on on the wing vs olympiacos he was very effective. It was also a shame he missed the european cup final, he deserved a medal more than a few of those players (kewell) I think this season may be a good one aswell for him. Also I think Rafa likes him which is always good. But will he be able to nudge cisse moro and crouch out of the team? To be honest I think rafa has bought 2 teams and crouch and pongo, moro and cisse or even moro and pongo and cisse and crouch. We will have to wait and see.
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:35 pm

I can't wait to see how opposition defences handle Crouch and FS-P at the same time!
:laugh:
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby akumaface » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Good to hear as I rate Sinama Pongolle very highly. If he is on, you can look at the defender and how worry they were with him especially when one on one.
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Rafa Revolution » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:45 pm

i always rated him. it's good news he's back.
Bill Shankly after beating Everton in the '71 cup semi : "Sickness would not have kept me away from this one. If I'd been dead, I would have had them bring the casket to the ground, prop it up in the stands and cut a hole in the lid."
Red Rafa Revolution

Postby jammydodger » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:40 pm

Brilliant news, I think if Benitez gave him the chance, he would be an excellent right winger as he has bundles of pace, and the skills required to beat ANY defender in the premiership.
jammydodger

Postby gary106 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:53 pm

yep i have to agree with jammydodger there i think FSP would be a cracking right winger, as i dont think he is clinical enough to be a striker IMO. has bundles of pace and skill though so right wing i think would suit him down to the ground!
gary106

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:00 pm

Oh , thats great ,  we don't need Michael Owen after all . We've got Crouch and Pongo .  :laugh:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:52 pm

I'm glad Pongolle is on his way back to fitness.  He's a good little player and he was getting better last year too before his injury.  He'll get a fair few games this year I reckon.

As for playing him on the right wing, I can't see him doing the business there.  I haven't seen any evidence of him being able to cross a ball yet (which is a winger's main job) and defensively he'd offer little (these days all wide midfield men need to be able to track back as well as come forward).

He's an out and out striker if ever I saw one.  Decent first touch, really quick on the turn and a decent eye for goal. Needs to improve his hold up play and timing of his runs but he's getting there.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:57 pm

i agree with john craig, i can't see fsp doing well at right wing. he can't defend and hasn't got a decent cross on him.
i would like to see him play alongside crouchy. they both woud be a defenders nightmare.
pongolle has worked really hard for liverpool over the years. 2 seasons ago he was some frail, small incomplete player but now he has bulked up a bit to improve his holding up skills. he deserves to put on that liverpool shirt on with pride!
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:58 pm

just for consistency i need to post after john craig on the subject of pongo. dunno why, but it always happens. :D

future kop legend.

(thats pongo, not you john)

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:02 pm

andy_g wrote:just for consistency i need to post after john craig on the subject of pongo. dunno why, but it always happens. :D

future kop legend.

:D

Nah, you've never seen me play Andy!! :laugh:
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:58 pm

john craig wrote:
andy_g wrote:just for consistency i need to post after john craig on the subject of pongo. dunno why, but it always happens. :D

future kop legend.

Im guessing it's best he doesn't john  :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:02 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
john craig wrote:

future kop legend.

Im guessing it's best he doesn't john  :D

It's fair to say I'm not gonna be a Liverpool legend!!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adamnbarrett » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:23 pm

So are you worse or better than diao :D
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MCYan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:27 pm

crouch + pongo = heskey + owen?
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next