Paletta the red - Signed and sealed apparently

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:52 pm

If he makes any sort of impression like Heinze did for the mancs then all to look forward to :D
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby redmikey » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:21 pm

Rafa buying young to take a chance of him being as good as heinze, and not having to pay through the nose, reserve team football till he proves himself.. i am sure rafa has read shankley's and paisley's books and thought "feck me that's a good idea"(in spainish of course)
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:28 pm

SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:50 pm

2520years wrote:Pellegrino, of course.  How could I forget about him!?
:no  :D

how couldn't you forget him :D, theres nothing much to remember there. Pellegrino was the first south american to sign for Liverpool FC, Paletta would be the third.

priv Posted on Feb. 14 2006,13:31
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The words that spring to mind "Work Permit?"

There will be no problem with the work permit. The problem with Gonzales was that he had to be one of the highest payed players in the squad or Chile had to be in the top 70 by Fifa. Argentina does not have that problem, don't really know what position they are but they consistently have one of the best national teams in the world.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby banana » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:09 pm

Paletta will have no problems with his work permit. He has an EU passport and can play in any country in europe.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:15 pm

banana wrote:Paletta will have no problems with his work permit. He has an EU passport and can play in any country in europe.

Sound, btw how did you know that mate ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I’m guessing this guy has a European passport?

He has been described as tall and robust, well that’s a good start! His going to be 20 tomorrow, so I’m guessing he will be our 4th centre back, behind Carragher, Hyypia and Agger. So that means Hobbs, Roque and Antwi will continue in the reserves or maybe a loan deal to a lower league club.

Is it just me or does this guy look like Heinz from Man Utd?

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:21 pm

Looks like were set in terms of numbers for goalkeepers and defenders, as long as know one leaves, if they do then they will be replaced. Just need to get Troare out!

Reina, Dudek, Carson
Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Paletta
Finnan, Kromkamp
Riise, Warnock

Looks very strong too me.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:45 am

Really happy with Rafa signing a few of these young players: Reina, Sissoko, Agger and now Paletta. Looks like now he is planning in not just the short term. Anfield will once again be a fortress!!!!!!
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:48 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:Looks like were set in terms of numbers for goalkeepers and defenders, as long as know one leaves, if they do then they will be replaced. Just need to get Troare out!

Reina, Dudek, Carson
Carragher, Hyypia, Agger, Paletta
Finnan, Kromkamp
Riise, Warnock

Looks very strong too me.

You forgot Traore...

:D
115-1073096938

Postby Effes » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:21 am

From Banfield to Anfield!
:D
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:41 am

2520years wrote:Pellegrino, of course.  How could I forget about him!?
:no  :D

Very easily!  :D
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 am

Cool Hand Luke wrote:I’m guessing this guy has a European passport?

He has been described as tall and robust, well that’s a good start! His going to be 20 tomorrow, so I’m guessing he will be our 4th centre back, behind Carragher, Hyypia and Agger. So that means Hobbs, Roque and Antwi will continue in the reserves or maybe a loan deal to a lower league club.

I wouldn't bet on that. He is a very good player and he may surprise a few by forcing his way into the first 11. Rafa has succeeded in getting a couple of talented centre backs in Agger and Paletta. The future looks bright. Next season our first team will be Carra/Agger or Carra/Paletta. Hyypia is finished as a first 11 player. This means we can push the back 4 a bit further up field and allow the fullbacks to go forward more often.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:29 am

Found this article on BBC Sport, an interesting read

-------------------------------------------------

BBC Sport - Tim Vickery Column

In the 1960s Liverpool manager Bill Shankly sent the press on a voyage round giant centre-half Ron Yeats.

Perhaps in a few months' time current Reds boss Rafael Benitez will do the same trick with Gabriel Paletta.

The young Argentine defender is built like an ox, and the journalists would take a while to circumnavigate him. But I wonder if it might be a journey taking place too soon.

Paletta enjoyed a spectacular 2005. As the year started he had never played in the first team at Banfield, a traditional but relatively small club in greater Buenos Aires.

He was not even included in the club's 25-strong squad for the group phase of their first ever Copa Libertadores campaign, and was overlooked by Argentina for the South American Under-20 tournament.

Given his chance in the local championship, he made an instant impression.

A strong, rugged, no-nonsense centre back, he caught the eye in both penalty areas, stopping goals at one end, scoring them at the other with his bulky presence and aerial threat.

When Banfield reached the knock out stages of the Libertadores he was brought into the squad, and played two excellent games against Independiente Medellin of Colombia.

But even though his club won the tie and qualified for the quarter finals he played no further part in the competition ¿ because he was called up for the World Youth Cup in Holland.

Argentina won the trophy and Paletta was first choice throughout, and though he occasionally tried the referees' patience, he was a key part of a defensive unit that conceded just five goals in seven games.

By the time he was back in club action Banfield had sold their star players, and a difficult time was widely predicted.

Instead they finished fifth in the last championship, despite winning only five of their 19 games. But they were beaten just once, and Paletta was the rock on which the defence was founded.

He would clearly be on the move before long. The question was where. And he clearly looked the kind of centre back who one day will do well in Europe. The question is when.

Paletta is one of those complicated South American cases of a player whose registration is not wholly owned by a club. There are other investors involved, who typically prefer short term profit to long term career development.

He seemed certain to join local giants River Plate, who even reserved the number six shirt for him.

In purely football terms, joining River is the obvious step to take. He would learn about the pressures of being with a big club. He would have to cope with the fact that River's expansive style of play can leave their defenders exposed.

And he could do all of this in his home environment, while preparing himself for the move to Europe.

Instead he has skipped a stage. Finance has won over football. With just a year behind him Paletta has opted to move to a country with a different culture, language and football.

It all seems very similar to the case of Luciano Figueroa, the Argentine centre forward who was briefly with Birmingham City.

Figueroa joined the Blues straight from a handful of games with Rosario Central, who got not a penny from the deal, having already sold him to a group of investors.

The move took him several bridges too far. He is now back in Argentina trying to regain his momentum with River Plate.

Rather than being Anfield bound, perhaps at this point it would be better for Paletta to be Figueroa's team-mate.

Instead, they were direct adversaries last Sunday in the Argentine championship. Figueroa got the better of his marker and River won 3-1.

Paletta gave the impression of a highly promising defender who might need some more mileage before making the move across the Atlantic.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:06 pm

banana wrote:
Cool Hand Luke wrote:I’m guessing this guy has a European passport?

I wouldn't bet on that. He is a very good player and he may surprise a few by forcing his way into the first 11. Rafa has succeeded in getting a couple of talented centre backs in Agger and Paletta. The future looks bright. Next season our first team will be Carra/Agger or Carra/Paletta. Hyypia is finished as a first 11 player. This means we can push the back 4 a bit further up field and allow the fullbacks to go forward more often.

Yes Banana, Hyypia's finished, you've been saying that for three years. :D
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion