Our flare player's. - Are they being told to hold back?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gareth G » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:32 pm

I don't know if it's just me but alot of our flare player's who can take on defender's never do just that.

I see the like's of Kewell passing the ball on rather than attempting to make a dashing run down the wing or cutting infield to try something. Maybe this is were one of our many problem's lay, we have so many player's with tricky skill's who could turn you inside out that don't put it to use...which bring's me to my question.

Do you think Houllier is holding them off, telling them to play safe passes rather than take a chance and attempt something special?
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:54 pm

You know what right... thats just an attempt to have a go at Houllier.

Houllier doesn't develope players dribbling, vision and flair... thats not how he works... he lets those develope naturally and developes other sides to the players games and helps players become better players alround as apose to them having major weaknesses. Basically he works on players weaknesses rather than there strengths. Its something ALOT of managers do and imo in English football especially it is.

Look at the way Murphy has improved for example. He was a decent player with a good touch and vision but extremely lazy.  But his work ethic, attitude and defensive play have come on leaps and bounds.
115-1073096938

Postby ynwa » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:00 pm

the last two gams murphy has been poo
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kopper » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:05 pm

I reckon Houllier resposible for Dudeks goalkeeping mistakes last season too...He didn't tell him to catch the ball properly. Oh and he is resposible for world hunger too. :D
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:56 pm

No stu you have it all wrong mate, im not having a go a t Houllier. It was a geniune question and im not that way inclined to have a go at someone. I also think it is very unfair to blame All bad result's on Houllier, it's also the player's fault.

Kopper that last comment is also unfair, Houllier does not coach the player's, if there's anyone to be blamed for Dudek's mistake's it should be Joe Corrigan! But even that is unfair, Dudek was the one who dropped the ball, nobody else.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 am

Houllier does coach the players. Not as much as the other coaches and managers but he definately has his say on the training pitch.

Kop-1892

Sorry for saying that... but thats just the way most people wuld have a go at Gerard. For that reason i dont' see it as a valid point.

I believe Kewell and Owen do the right things in the right areas. Baros and Finnan need to learn.
115-1073096938

Postby Gareth G » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:16 am

Yes i fully agree stu, they do the right thing's in the right place's it's just i would love to see some individual's using their pace and skill to it's potential. I also know what you mean about Baros and Finnan, quality player's but sometime's over-do thing's in the wrong area's.

I know Houllier join's in with the coaching but as you said, not much comparing with other's, what i really meant was for the goalkeeper's. They usually train seperate to a certain extent from the rest of the team, you know, they have their own little session's just for goalkeeper's.

On another note, you seem to be on Houllier's side?

Although i have given my fair share of critism about him, i have nothing personal against him and im actually starting to feel really bad for him. I like him but as you can see he has is in a rut that we can't seem to get out of and it's bringing us down! As much as ive critised him, I really am hoping the man can somewhat form a miracle and turn our club around. I still hope he can do it!
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:22 am

KOP-1892,I think Kopper had his tongue firmly in his cheek when he mentioned Dudek dropping the ball,because I'm sure nobody can blame Gerard Houllier for world hunger,can they?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby seananddarragh23 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:34 am

SOMETHING JUST HAPPENS AND EVERYONE STARTS TO PLAY WELL TOGETHER.
HOWEVER ALL THE MATCHES WE START WELL GOES TO POT WHEN WE SCORE.
HE IS PLAYING PERCENTAGES AND NOT DOING IT VERY WELL.
WE,D ALL BE HAPPIER IF WE WENT HELL FOR LEATHER AND TAKE WHAT COMES OUR  WAY.
seananddarragh23

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:11 am

SOMETHING JUST HAPPENS AND EVERYONE STARTS TO PLAY WELL TOGETHER.
HOWEVER ALL THE MATCHES WE START WELL GOES TO POT WHEN WE SCORE.
HE IS PLAYING PERCENTAGES AND NOT DOING IT VERY WELL.
WE,D ALL BE HAPPIER IF WE WENT HELL FOR LEATHER AND TAKE WHAT COMES OUR  WAY.
???

Kop-1892... I'd like to give him the chance to turn it around. Next season he should be in charge. If next season we are in the same position then its time for a change. I feel he made 4 potentially excellent signings this summer.

Kewell has an injury problem and should recover over the summer, Finnan will improve this season with experience. He's looked excellent in patches until recently but i believe he will continue to improve next season and become an excellent player. Le Tallec for me seems to have that creative spark and vision we have been lacking... but he's still a kid and needs to learn to mix it. I think he'll become a top class player in the next few years. Pongolle for me has impressed immensely. The only think i'd say looks dodgy is his finishing... and thats only due to a lack of experience and confidence imo.

With the almost certain addition of Cisse in the summer i feel this will further improve the squad and first team. I think if he has the chance and backing next season we will be right back on track.
115-1073096938

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:26 pm

it's not in houllier's nature to let our flair players express themselves. he prefers players who "work hard" but don't necessarily excite. why do you think he let litmanen and berger go?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kopper » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:48 pm

KOP-1892 wrote:No stu you have it all wrong mate, im not having a go a t Houllier. It was a geniune question and im not that way inclined to have a go at someone. I also think it is very unfair to blame All bad result's on Houllier, it's also the player's fault.

Kopper that last comment is also unfair, Houllier does not coach the player's, if there's anyone to be blamed for Dudek's mistake's it should be Joe Corrigan! But even that is unfair, Dudek was the one who dropped the ball, nobody else.

Just joking mate.
Interviewer:       'Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?'
David Beckham: 'Well, I can play in the centre on the right and occasionally on the left side.' (Man U)
kopper
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion