THE OPPO: VILLA (A)

Aston Villa

League Position   - 13th   

Current Home Form   - W W D L L L   

Top Scorers   -  Barry 9 goals
                           Angel 7 goals
                           Agabonhalor 6 goals.

Recent Encounters between teams
28-10-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Kuyt,Crouch,Garcia)(Agabonhalor)
29-04-06 Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Morientes, Gerrard 2) (Barry)
05-11-05 Aston Villa 0 - 2 Liverpool WON (Gerrard,Xabi Alonso)
15-05-05 Liverpool 2 - 1 Aston Villa WON (Cisse 2) (Barry)

Interesting Facts
*Original members of the Football League in 1888, Aston Villa are one of the Premier League's founding clubs.
*Randy Lerner the new chairman of Aston Villa is an actual member of their forum.

Club Honours
LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
1893-94, 1895-96, 1896-97,1898-99, 1899-00, 1909-10,
1980-81

CHARITY/COMMUNITY SHIELD WINNERS

F.A. CUP WINNERS
1887, 1895, 1897, 1905, 1913, 1920, 1957   

LEAGUE CUP WINNERS
1961, 1975, 1977, 1994, 1996 

And now thanks to the lads and lasses at

-----------------------------------------------------

Currently sitting in 13th in the league is not what a team of Aston Villa's stature would settle for. How do you think your teams performance has been this year? Did you expect it? What are your hopes for the rest of the season?

ROCAFELLA: The squad isn't good enough for anything better so a 13th is where we should be

T DUB: It is somehwat dissapointing given the strong start. But considering all the changes both on and off the pitch--especially the fact that MON took over so close to the start of the season--it's not bad. Injuries haven't helped either. My hope for the rest of the season is to just maintain our mid-table position, allow the new players to assimilate, and give MON a chance to evaluate for next season. There really isn't anything to play for at this point in terms of the standings.

THETREES:"Stature" is a funny thing. We are amongst Everton, Tottenham and Man City to name but three who are clubs of "stature" that should be far more competitive. But we have been overtaken by much smaller clubs like Bolton and Chelsea, the latter of which is over the hills and far away. For me history is just that.

RUDY:Great start, poor since you beat us at Anfield. Bit disappointed overall, expected more from the MON factor. Anything above 10th would be a bonus for this year

Theres been a few nice surprises for Villa fans this year in Moore and Agbonhalor, who do you think has been your best player(s) this season? Who's been a winner and who has had a stinker?

ROCAFELLA: Agbonlahor was a revelation, Moore not so much as he was better last season. Petrov has been shitso was Baros and Angel is a finished article. Agathe was terrible and Aaron Hughes has been very poor as well.

T DUB: I think Agbonlahor has been the best and biggest surprise. I wouldn't put Moore in that same category simply because he's missed most of the season to injury. I'd say Petrov has been the biggest disappointment

THETREES:Most would tell you Gareth Barry. Bouma has improved immensely now he is fit. Luke Moore's injury was a blow, as I think that he is as least as good as the players that we have brought in, if not better.
Aaron Hughes has had a tough time, and Petrov has not been overly impressive, although we are led to believe that he played with an injury for a long period.

RUDY:Gabby started well and then fell away when the team did. Great pace, although sometimes unsure what to do with the ball when he's in a good position. Barry has been our best player by a mile this season. The worst, probably Petrov given the initial impressions and hopes when he signed. Probably just proves what a :censored: league it is in Scotland. Next year will be big for him

Gareth Barry - good enough for England or not?

ROCAFELLA: When on form and when other players are injured why not. As a left midfielder though, not a defender as he clearly isn't good enough for that role.

T DUB: Yes, especially with Joe Cole injured. But like most England players, he becomes too conservative and afraid of failure when wearing the England shirt. If nothing else, his penalty kick skills are as good if not better than anyone else on the national team.

THETREES:Dunno. McLaren needs to build an England *team*, not just pick the best players. I would start with Gerrard in his best position and then build around him, not being frightened to totally exclude some 'stars'. In that context Barry would probably be part of a winning England team.

RUDY:Yes

Ashley Young joined your team in January for £9m + what did you think of the transfer and whats your thoughts on the lad?

ROCAFELLA: Young and long term contract, worth the money. He is a winger being used as a striker in a weird move by MON. Luckily he realized the gaffe and placed him as a winger in the last match, where he didn't play very well. I am not sure on him, believed him to have a bit stronger feet on set-pieces, surely we haven't seen enough of him yet.

T DUB: Too early to tell. I think he's a good player for a mid-table team, but if Villa want to be an elite, Top 4 side, they have to get players of a slightly higer caliber. I understand why many thought we overpaid for him, but given the new TV and other money coming into the Prem, it may turn out to be a bargain in the long run.

THETREES:Huge money, indicative of the market. Looks good, but one for the future. A signing that said more about stamping the Villa name and saying "we're back!"

RUDY:Early days yet but the start has been promising. Just hope the fans give him time. We paid about £4m to much but when the monies there you gotta spend it. Much preferred to say Pennnat

Martin O'Neil is a top coach with a top reputation. Where do you see/hope the club will be over the next 2 seasons?

ROCAFELLA: Depends on money spent and players bought. Money talkes everywhere these days. I hope top-10 next season and perhaps a UEFA-slot in two years. I see Champions League as impossible in the next five years, although in football nothing is certain. I hear Platini is making the tournament smaller, and we are lightyears behind Man Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea. As well as some good distance to the Liverpools and Tottenhams.

T DUB: Next year we should be top 8 at least, then challenging for Europe the year after. Anything less is just the status quo. I think MON is a great manager but I think he overrates these former Celtic players like Maloney and Petrov. They may seem pretty good by SPL standards, but to get Villa to the next level we need slightly higher caliber talent.

THETREES:MON is the right man for the time. The galvanisation of the club is well advanced in his and Randy Lerner's hands. I like the man but, unlike the majority, don't particularly rate him. My ideal scenario is that he brings us to a certain level in 3 years and then leaves for England, Manure or whatever, leaving space for a more entertainment minded manager to come in.

RUDY:He needs to be given time. I think 3 years minimum, by that time I expect us to be challenging for Champs League as long as he continues to get financial backing. The reputation he has needs to be borne out with results in the next 2 year or so.

Deadly Doug finally stepped down this year and handed over the club to Lerner? What are your thoughts and hopes on the takeover?

ROCAFELLA: I am pretty certain we got a better American than you did! He was around for a good time before he made the buy, unlike Gillett who fancied the deal under the Super Bowl or something, and that was like one month ago! He is rich, he is extremely professional and knows a lot about football. He is the best owner one could really imagine.

T DUB: So far, so good. He's been saying all the right things, and the Nike deal is a great sign. I have to believe that someone of Randy Lerner's stature doesn't spend all this money just to be another mid-table club.

THETREES:Nothing to say about Ellis that hasn't already been said. Randy Lerner consistently proves himself to be a perfect gentleman and a top notch businessman. My hopes are that his dreams are fulfilled, which I am sure will be the same dreams as all of the supporters.

RUDY:Lots of money and just some respect for the fans. So far we've had both. Which other club has the one of the Directors posting on the Fans Forum, not many but we do. Can't imagine the Glazers doing this or indeed your new owners. In addition the training ground has been totally rebuilt and the old Holte Hotel turned into a fans pub. A fantastic start, unfortunately not YET mirrored by results on the pitch, but early days

What are you thoughts on our take over by Mr Gillett and Mr Hicks?

ROCAFELLA: Rich and trigger-happy. One of them joined the deal without any big assessments of Liverpool. One of them even called you the Liverpool Reds a couple of times. I don't believe they are the ones to make you level with Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal. They will buy lots of good players, but not the right players. Rafa will continue to spend on Spaniards as well as other has-beens, and he will get fired for not reaching the unrealistic targets set by them. Liverpool will become a new edition of Newcastle, every reason in the world for being positive but somehow it all get messy.

T DUB: It further shows just how huge the EPL has become worldwide. People in the US and around the world are waking up to the fact that this league is a money train and they want to get on. I think it's great for Liverpool, but perhaps worrisome for the smaller EPL clubs who can't match the money.

THETREES:Dangerous. Not too sure how quickly they came onto the scene. I would have thought that a club of your stature could have taken more time. But then I am probably wrong.

RUDY:My best mate is a diehard Liverpool fan and goes regularly to Anfield and some away games. He isn't happy cos its the "Americans" and feels he doesn't trust them. However, it hasn't done the Mancs any harm or indeed ourselves so far. Personally, I think its a good move if Liverpool are to challenge for the Prem and of course you get the new ground!

Your view on the current Liverpool squad?

ROCAFELLA: Some great players mixed with players not good enough, which makes you far behind Chelsea and Man Utd. Gerrard and Alonso are excellent, players like Finnan, Riise, Pennant, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Zenden, Luis Garcia and such are simply not good enough. You need bigger and better players. You need Villa, Eto'o, Cannavaro and superplayers such as them. You need to be something other than "Gerrard and the other ones". You rely too much on him. What are Liverpool without Gerrard? Pretty weak and to be brutally honest; one of the most boring teams in the Prem.

T DUB: I've only seen them a few times, but they've looked awesome at times (particularly against us at Anfield earlier this year). Makes me wonder how they had such disappointing results earlier in the season. Dirk Kuyt has been arguably the best signing of the year. And Craig Bellamy ... nah, too easy...

THETREES:Too much dross and too many gobshites Not a Liverpool squad

RUDY: You lack a 20 a season goalscorer. Crouch isn't good enough and neither is Bellamy. Kuyt looks the part and would improve with a better strike partner (David Villa?) Robbie seems finished which is great cos he has a brill record against us! The game on Saturday is proof of this. Pennant isn't good enough and that isn't cos he's ex-Blues, it just a fact. Gerrard is totally wasted on the right. Overall its the squad of a team I'd expect to finish 4th in the Prem, which is where you will finish. You lack the last bit of quality which allows you to win 1-0 when you've been playing poorly, which the Mancs and Chelsea do so well

I also think Barca are gonna beat you 3-1 tomorrow!

Your best and worst memories of matches between our two sides?

ROCAFELLA: Not many swell ones, many bad ones 

THETREES:Best: Dennis, Deano, Andy Gray
Worst: Rush, Fowler, both too many times to mention

RUDY: Jan 81 beating you 2-0 at Villa Park in the season we won the league. Also the game in Nov98 which you won 4-2 at our place. We lost but it was a classic with Fowler scoring his usual hattrick. One of those few ocassions, when although you've lost and are naturally peed of, you know you've witnessed a great game of footy. Merson played well for us that day.
Worst would probably be in Sept 2000 and this season at Anfield when on both ocassions you were 3-0 up at halftime. Game over. Long way to travel to see that.

Finally can you predict the score for the newkit forum?

ROCAFELLA: A bore draw, 0-0 or 1-1.

THETREES: 0-3

RUDY: 2-0 Villa

---------------------------------------------------------

Rafa-Dodd
Last edited by Rafa D on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Your view on the current Liverpool squad?

players like Finnan, Riise, Pennant, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Zenden, Luis Garcia and such are simply not good enough.,

:laugh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 pm

finnan has been awful this season hasnt he ???
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:00 pm

stmichael wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:Your view on the current Liverpool squad?

players like Finnan, Riise, Pennant, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Zenden, Luis Garcia and such are simply not good enough.,

:laugh:

that made me crack up as well  :laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lou93 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:43 pm

HAHA stupid villa fans totally clueless as to what is good and what isn't. They can hardly bash our players when they've got so many poor ones themselves.
lou93

Postby Forever_Red » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:51 pm

They were more concerned with sh1t attempts to insult LFC rather than to comment on their own squad.

they can say Rafas signed has-beens but doen't that mean that they're better than the players they've got given the EPL table :p
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby radun5 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:25 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:RUDY:[i] Jan 81 beating you 2-0 at Villa Park in the season we won the league. Also the game in Nov98 which you won 4-2 at our place. We lost but it was a classic with Fowler scoring his usual hattrick.

[color=#000000]I really enjoyed that one.

Perhaps Robbie will play this time ?  :buttrock
radun5

Postby red_guy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:39 am

Finnan and Garcia simply not good enough? Maybe in Poker not Football...
Reminds me of my friend, a chelski gloryhunter...didn't watch the games..just read the newspaper... :D
Last edited by red_guy on Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:35 am

"players like Finnan, Riise, Pennant, Gonzalez, Crouch, Fowler, Zenden, Luis Garcia and such are simply not good enough.,"

Who do they have? Finnan may be the best right back in EPL and he is not good enough. What a Joke! ....Anyway, they are just jealous I suppose because all of the "not good enough" player would be their Starting 11 in their side for sure. And maybe with the exception of Fowler. We'll see how our "not good enough player" beat them in the game. :buttrock:
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:45 am

Aston Villa has more respect in Spain than Bolton has. I disagree the guy who say history is just that.

Excellent work as usual, Rafa
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:31 pm

nice one rafa   again

fowler hat trick would be nice :D
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Is this game on any channels ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:38 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Is this game on any channels ?

it's on sky. i think it's a 1.30 kick off or something like that.

hopefully robbie will figure in this one, especially as crouch is now out for 3-4 weeks.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:50 pm

stmichael wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Is this game on any channels ?

it's on sky. i think it's a 1.30 kick off or something like that.

hopefully robbie will figure in this one, especially as crouch is now out for 3-4 weeks.

Is that deffo mate as i havent seen it advertised all week.
Is it normal sky or premplus ?

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:55 pm

Just download sopcast if you can't see it and go to the espn channel. If you can understand chinese its all good! :p
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion