Morientes to return saturday? - There is a chance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:06 pm

At least there is some positive news on the horizon.  :)

....................................................................................

Nando: I can be fit for Bolton Mar 30 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

FERNANDO MORIENTES says he has a chance of being declared fit for the visit of Bolton this weekend.

The Liverpool striker is ready to hand manager Rafa Benitez a rare but massive injury boost having made a speedy recovery from the thigh injury which prematurely ended his first Merseyside derby.

Benitez had earlier resigned himself to losing Morientes against Sam Allardyce's in-form side.

But his Spanish striker has already returned to training and is refusing to rule out the possibility of making a dramatic appearance.

"The injury is better. I'm not sure whether I'll be fit for Saturday, but it's possible," said Morientes..

"I've started running in training and there was no pain. The injury isn't as bad as we thought so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can play against Bolton.

"I hope so because I would like to play against my friends Ivan Campo and Fernando Hierro."

Benitez could now face the dilemma of thrusting his £6.3m signing immediately back into the action at Anfield, or giving him an extra week to completely recover.

The manager is sure to be tempted to select Morientes given his shortage of options.

Milan Baros is suspended, leaving Luis Garcia and Vladimir Smicer as the only other possible alternatives in a striking role.

Even the possibility of using Steven Gerrard as an auxiliary forward is limited because of Didi Hamann's absence. Gerrard will be needed to partner Igor Biscan in midfield.

Benitez will also be able to recall Djimi Traore, who emerged from his comeback in a reserve clash with Wolves unscathed last night.

Traore hasn't featured since injuring his thigh in the Carling Cup final, but played in the 2-0 defeat.

Here's to hoping. We desperately need him to be fit! :cool:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:13 pm

great news mikey, i was gettign a lil worried about our striker situation i have to say
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:48 pm

Great news if he can play. Badly need him
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:51 pm

good news, even if he isn't 100%, we could have him on the bench for the last 20 mins
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:56 pm

exactly 7_Kewell. I doubt he'll be 100% so Rafa won't start him, but to have him on the bench in case we need a goal would be useful.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:57 pm

I doubt he'll be 100% so Rafa won't start him, but to have him on the bench in case we need a goal would be useful.

hopefully we won't need him....
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:04 pm

yes but with Smicer more than likely the one who will play up front, i a, not exactly brimming with confidence.

Perhaps Kenny or Rushie could play, they'd do better than Vladi. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:45 pm

im working with the physio and the club doctor and im training but not too vigorously i wont be at 100% for saturday but if needs be then ill come on for the 2nd half but im sure we wont need to cos we are a class team  :p
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:30 pm

:cool: Nice one hope he plays otherwise I thinked we are ******, I cant stand Bolton imagine them or the BS in the CL :sleepy:  :sleepy:  :sleepy:  :sleepy:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:44 pm

in a way (coming out of the 1st person narrative) obviously i dnt want bolton or everton to get champs league qualification instead of us but in a way it would be refeshing and a wake up call for us and the rest of the premiership that you cant take anything for granted and teams like chelsea and man utd cant always think yeh we will be guaranteed to be in the top 3 who ever thought newcasle could have finished 3rd in 2002/03 and were in the title running rite up until they lost 6-1 to utd in 1 of the last few games of the season
Nando
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:08 pm

If Henry goes to Barca and Viera maybe to Real, I think it will be Arsenals turn to sit and wait 16 years like us to get the title back, Bergkamps finished, Coles going to chelsea probably, so the top 3 in the future might be us , the mancs and chelsea all fighting it out at the top of the league and for tropheys.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:35 pm

When the Morientes deal went through everyone was excited. He is an extremely talented player, superb technique, passing ability and awareness.

In addition he is good in the air. But some people thought that he was a target man in the "English sense", they were mistaken, he will not get many flick on's and will not chase lost causes and use his body weight against defenders. He is a "European" target man, he can play with the ball back to goal, using his body strength to hold off defenders and his tecnique and passing range too bring midfielders into play.

Morientes is good in the air but only from corners, free kicks, and crosses. He not a "busting and tussling" type player. The rest of the team made this assumption and started lobbing long balls up to him against Man Utd.

My one major reservation when we signed him was that I thought he might not like the physical nature of the Premiership, he is a technical player who like to pass, not someone who enjoys the Physical contest. So far I think I have been right, his body language has suggested he hasn't enjoyed the start of his Premiership career.

I'm not saying that he won't be a success. But what I am saying it will depend on whether he has the willingness to adapt and come to terms with the physical nature of the Premiership.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:39 am

:glare: get well soon Mmmorientes... and just wait till Cisse joins him ... be awesome then
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:03 am

Nando wrote:and were in the title running rite up until they lost 6-1 to utd in 1 of the last few games of the season

it was 6-2, sorry to be pedantic.  :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addicted norwegian » Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:13 pm

According to the Norwegian Liverpool-site (Liverpool.no) the odds are better for a Morientes-return in the match vs Bolton, than for him still being sidelined due to injury. (They refer to the Echo)
addicted norwegian
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion