Liverpool in financial diffs!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Redrider » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:30 pm

Haven't looked in or posted for a while, but I see that the same old muppets are defending the party line with respect to Rick Parry and his inept financial control of the club.
Suggest that you all 'wake up' and 'smell the coffee' as Alan Green said about Moyes and his fatuous pre-season comments on finishing higher than fourth.
The same applies to LFC and their finances, winning the Champions League has only papered over Rick Parry's cracks, the toss-pot who sold Owen for £8m and then claims that he is over priced at £16m.
Another two goals today, by the way while Cisse and Crouch who cost £20m don't seem to be having much luck.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:49 pm

The_Rock wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:None of us know whether Steve Morgan will be any good for the club but wouldn't it be worth letting him at least invest some of his money into the club and give him a seat on the board 'cos at the moment the board setup just seems to be too much like a gentlemans private club and not a football club.

No way should steve morgan ever take charge of this club.... he is in the "pro stadium sharing" group  :angry:

As for investing some money.....well as long as he doesn't become the major share-holder.....  :eyebrow

That was my point, I too am wary of Morgan getting over all control of the club, especially with the subject of the new stadium still up in the air and him being a former building magnate but i think that the board need to allow some fresh blood in as to the best of my knowledge there hasn't been anybody new on there for many, many years.
When the Thai geezer and Morgan and all of the other prospective investors were sniffing around the club the make up of the board and their stakes in the club were published in (i think) the Echo and it is very surprising to find that a lot of the board members don't actually own stakes in the club but are basically babysitting Moores' shares for him which seems to make it a bit of a farce that the people looking after our club haven't exactly paid their way in, (i don't really understand the higher echelons of the business world so please accept my apologise if these facts are totally normal and i've made a complete ars.e of myself  :D ). Surely it is the chairmans refusal to reduce his overall control of the club that is putting off any major investors putting money in, it appears that the club are expecting major investment into the club without really giving much in return.
IMO the time is right for a real shake up of the club at boardroom level 'cos things seem to be getting a little shabbie in  the running of the club at that level; the fact that they have gone so quiet on the new stadium is very surprising, the inability to get major investment into the club in over 2 years is very poor considering that in the past 5 and a 1/2 months we have been crowned champions of frickin' europe and the fact that it is taking the club and Reebok 'til the ars.e end of the group stages of the Champs lge to release to the fans the clubs new champions lge shirt is absolutely ludicrous.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dum1 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:51 pm

Rushie

Exactly the only reason stopping any deal is the reluctance of Moores etc to share control. If somone is prepared to put money into an ailing club then they want a share in the say of what goes on.

For me directors like managers have life cycles and we need new ideas from new people so they should be prepared to move over.

We never get to know the details of the failed deals but most of it must hang around giving up some of the power.

What amazes me is the most fans seem to not interested in the finances until it becomes critical, but it is their club and not some financier who has put some money in (and taken money out as well).

I just hope Morgan ressurects his bid again.
dum1

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:16 pm

Dum 1
I'd like to see Morgan get involved again but through investment only at first i.e.getting hishand in his pocket and then getting a seat  on the board. The reason why i think it wise to be wary of morgan is that as i was reminded earlier by The_Rock was that morgan is in the pro shared stadium group and it would probably resurrect all of the cr@p about sharinhg with everton again which gets right on my hinge! Obviously if it were to be a change of ownership then he would be the fans favourite and more is nown about him than the L4 group but it does sound as though the L4 group have got more money behind them.
I think it important that we have change at the boardroom level but drastic change could lead us down a very uncertain path and i think it would be prudent to have people tha have got a strong link with the club to be involved whether it be Rick Parry or an ex player.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:12 am

On jimmy hills show on sky they made a good point that even with morgans money its still not enough compared to roman, his would be welcome but obviosly when you take in wages and the rest it still would not be enough to compete.

Parry has been all over the place looking for investment, he was in Dubya last week. We need big investment and soon.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:14 am

What the frigg is going on? I've just seen on  SKY Sports news that there is mounting speculation that bloody villa are about to be taken over by a company that has assetts of around a billion quid. This is just going to show that the board really have to change their approach to getting investment in if a cr@ppy club like  villa and to an extent a couple of years ago chelsea can get massive investment in and the bloody champions of europe can't. :veryangry  :veryangry
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:35 am

Well in just goes to show that your team can all a sudden be world beaters, its all about money and people are going to be turned off football.

If its just about who has the most money then instead of the premiership table just print a who is richest table.  :(  :(  :(
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:02 am

My take is if a super-rich man/group don't take charge of LFC... then i rather moores keep ownership of this club. Yeah he is not perfect. But u have to remember even during souness & evans time when we were somewhat sh1t.... moores spent a lot of money from his own pocket.....

It is not moores i have a problem with but parry. Hell, even i could do a better job as CEO than him and i would be willing to take only half his salary.....
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:58 am

The_Rock wrote:It is not moores i have a problem with but parry. Hell, even i could do a better job as CEO than him and i would be willing to take only half his salary.....

I agree Rock. Despite Parry's masterstroke of bringing Rafa to this club, I still have major issues with him and his failures more often than success behind the scenes:

1) Re-signing what is a very average sponsorship deal with an alchoholic brand that no muslim can buy a replica kit for him or his family. Lost revenue in kit and training kit sales! And a short term deal at that!

2) Re-signing with Reebok when everyone in the world knew their financial position and poor marketing globally and the fact reebok has failed to make ANY headway in football marketing. And what do we do? We go and extend our contract with them again!

3) Failure to lure any kind of sound investment for the future of the club over the past 3 years despite bouncing around in Thailand and then the USA with potential mega-investors. Success to date? ZERO.

4) The whole MESS with the SG contract during the summer has to be the most embarrassing episode I have yet to witness at the club in a very very long time (with the exception of the signing of Julian Dicks as a left back and Paul Stewart as a CF!!!).

How we ended up in that situation still remains a mystery to me. Any SANE manager who wanted to keep his most valuable ASSET would have started talking about getting an agreement sorted out asap instead of flying of for a summer holiday in Barbados after the CL final and LAP of honor in Liverpool.

Very very tardy and unprofessional.

5) Knowing Figo was dragging his feet..knowing how important to the squad to have the CH and RM Rafa had wanted..and then ending up making desperate bids and then ending up with inflated prices and fan anger and the failure to sign 2 key players has to be a major disaster for me.

Why?

Knowing full well you have 4 solid months of games and a lack of cover in these positions...and a december date in Japan and the impending assault on the EPL with a far more stronger Chelsea team, surely any CEO would have realized how vital it was to secure the players the manager needs..

And now wait till the last day of transfer deadline and then to blame the Benfica fans for revolting or the club wanting an extra 2-3 million pounds for the player..

The list goes on for Rick Parry.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby hawkmoon269 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:58 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
hawkmoon269 wrote:A detailed report in the Mail on Sunday today states that Liverpool's debts are increasing, costs for the new stadium are spiralling out of control and there's still no sign of any investment.

The report says: 'Why are Liverpool having to cut their cloth accordingly when the Champions League triumph brought in almost £22million in prize money alone? That windfall means the accounts that the plc will unveil next month will make superficially good reading. Instead of last year's loss of just over £18million, there should be a decent profit. But a closer look at the balance sheet will reveal a disturbing increase in debt'.

The report closely follows comments made by potential investor Steve Morgan at the club's 2004 AGM. At the time Morgan said: "I would never break the confidentiality agreement but we know there is a lot more (to the figures announced) and people would be appalled if they knew the situation.

"There are massively escalating costs of the stadium, the figures are nothing like what has been reported. The board should come clean and then people will know why I had to revise my offer."

LFC Chief Executive Rick Parry was in Dubai last week trying to attract investment but again, it hasn't been forthcoming as yet, much to the amazement of the club's financial advisors Hawkpoint.

If this is correct, then we deparately need Parry to be successful in attracting investment, if we are be have the funds to buy the quality players we need to compete

Where is the source of this story ? I could not find it.

Leon:

Link to where I read this!

Also,  as you rightly pointed out, I should read the article twice.  Maybe you should read the last paragraph of my post twice.  It said "IF this is correct" - I'm not saying that I believe that it is, just that IF it is then we need to have an influx of money.

Chill out and stop being so ready to jump down people's throats.  :rasp
hawkmoon269
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion