"lfc tries to snare liverbird trademark"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GOAT_2.0 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:59 pm

zarababe wrote:They're only trying to trademark 'our LFC version' - which has it's own variation - typically it gets blown out of proportion. The club looses millions due to fakes using the LFC 'Verision', it's a good idea nowt to get your undies in a twist

Its different when your a scouser
Image Image
GOAT_2.0

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:22 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
zarababe wrote:They're only trying to trademark 'our LFC version' - which has it's own variation - typically it gets blown out of proportion. The club looses millions due to fakes using the LFC 'Verision', it's a good idea nowt to get your undies in a twist

Its different when your a scouser

:nod  a liverbird is still a liverbird regardless.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Lee2k6 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:35 pm

i say, if it's on my shirt then it's my clubs symbol.. if it's on my wheelie bin it's my cities symbol  :p

seriously though not too bothered about it personally but you gotta put yourself in the shoes of the other residents of Liverpool.

Imagine if the mark that you have associated yourself and your city with all your life, the same symbol you see on most schools, street signs and government buildings in your neighbourhood suddenly has its rights bought by a football team you don't like or by a franchise from a sport that you don't follow.

gotta say if the shoe was on the other foot, i dont think i'de be too pleased.
Lee2k6

Postby Greavesie » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm not from Liverpool so to me the Liverbird is the symbol of LFC, I haven't got too much opinion on this because I suppose it means more to those with more direct scouse roots than someone who supports the club.

it is interesting to see how divided some are on the matter. I can see where both sides are coming though.
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby heimdall » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:45 pm

What is a liver bird? Can the scousers who are so protective of this symbol explain it to me. BTW I'm not taking the :censored:, I'm genuinely curious.

I think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup and I can see the club's point of view on this, they aren't saying that they are going to ban people using and being proud of the city symbol only protect their own financial interests.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:54 pm

heimdall wrote:What is a liver bird? Can the scousers who are so protective of this symbol explain it to me. BTW I'm not taking the :censored:, I'm genuinely curious.

I think this is a bit of a storm in a tea cup and I can see the club's point of view on this, they aren't saying that they are going to ban people using and being proud of the city symbol only protect their own financial interests.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver_Bird

liver bird
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:41 pm

The Liver Bird  'is' Liverpool, our history, our heritage. The ships that sailed from the port to create and service the empire, that fought the world wars, that are so keenly associated with The Beatles. LFC is a small part of a very big city. Hicks, Parry etc.. are pin :censored: in the ongoing story of a 1,000 year old city. Copyright the LB? On yer bike!
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:46 pm

shouldnt they be focussing on the financial mess they created and the so-called stadium they wanna build anyway? fools.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:46 pm

I saw this story on the front of the Daily Post on Saturday and my first thought was Twit 'n' Tw@t strike again!!

I just don't see where they're coming from when they say that they only want to trademark their version of the Liverbird. The whole badge is already covered by copyright, the liverbird on that badge is a symbol of the city the club hails from and applying to trademark that is trying to rob the city of that symbol IMO.
Look at the images GOAT2.0 has posted, there are barely any differences in the two images. How can the club (or tit 'n twat and coco more likely) claim that it's their version in the current form? ???

Fair enough they want to protect the clubs commercial interests but this is another massive Yankie own goal.

I really do wonder how they got to where they are when you look at the constant fuck ups they don't seem to be able to go a week without making.

Get a grip you pair of numpties a concentrate on selling the club!!  :no
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 pm

Read this on RAWK a few days ago, and it's f*cking bang out of order. If it's the Yanks trying to do this, then I'm not surprised at all. Typical ignorance from them as per usual, and I don't give a flying f*ck if I offend anyone when I say that. It would be like them trying to come to Ireland, buying a brewery or something, and then trying to patent the f*cking Irish language or a symbol like Celtic designs or the shamrock or something. The Liverbird is not just a symbol of Liverpool football club. It is a cultural symbol regarding the people and the city of Liverpool itself. It's like what the Statue of Liberty is to New York. Stupid c*nts.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:01 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Read this on RAWK a few days ago, and it's f*cking bang out of order. If it's the Yanks trying to do this, then I'm not surprised at all. Typical ignorance from them as per usual, and I don't give a flying f*ck if I offend anyone when I say that. It would be like them trying to come to Ireland, buying a brewery or something, and then trying to patent the f*cking Irish language or a symbol like Celtic designs or the shamrock or something. The Liverbird is not just a symbol of Liverpool football club. It is a cultural symbol regarding the people and the city of Liverpool itself. It's like what the Statue of Liberty is to New York. Stupid c*nts.

spot on emerald :nod
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:21 pm

My understanding is that the club attempted to register its own version of the Liverbird in the summer, but didn't follow it through. This is the club's third application and it's now changed, having initially been just the Liverbird by itself, to the Liverbird inside the crest and in conjunction with the words 'Liverpool Football Club'. That's an important distinction because it places it in its correct context.

It means that if the application is ultimately accepted, the club won't have the right to take action against anyone who uses the Liverbird - only those who use the Liverbird in conjunction with the words Liverpool Football Club and inside the club crest.

That said, it's somewhat doubtful they'll accept it as there will be heavy opposition from the council (not to mention others), such that they could refuse the application on the grounds that it is contrary to public policy or goes against principles of morality.
LFC2007

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:50 pm

LFC2007 wrote:It means that if the application is ultimately accepted, the club won't have the right to take action against anyone who uses the Liverbird - only those who use the Liverbird in conjunction with the words Liverpool Football Club and inside the club crest.

This website has been a victim of this scenario lately.  We had to lose the official club crest on the banner at the top of this forum.

For those who haven't already, press Ctrl-F5 and you'll see the new Newkit Logo.

If this application gets passed, we'll have to remove the Liverbirds as well in all likelihood.  There's loads of variations out there though, I'll just knock up a new banner in ten seconds, or rather, I'll ask Emerald Red if he'll design us a belter.

Actually, fuck it I'll do it now. :D

Emerald if you're reading, if you get a spare bit of time, how'd you fancy designing a new logo in the dimensions 420px × 132px for this forum?  I'm more than sure you'd do a belter job.

:)
jonnymac1979

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:19 pm

This is what they've applied to be protected:

LFC2007

Postby Igor Zidane » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:27 pm

:;):  :buttrock

LIVERPOOL FC has agreed to withdraw its application to trade mark the Liverbird, after the city council told the club it would oppose the bid.

Intellectual property lawyers acting for the city council wrote to the club this week stating they planned to lodge an objection with the UK Intellectual Property Office before a deadline for doing so expired on Saturday.

Liverpool city council deputy leader Cllr Flo Clucas said: "I am delighted the owners of Liverpool FC have seen sense and withdrawn this controversial application.

"The outcry from residents and the threat of a legal challenge from the council has forced them to think again about registering the Liverbird as its own, exclusive trade mark.

"The Liverbird is and will always remain the proud symbol of the whole city.

"The city council has no objection to the football club registering its own badge, and this should be more than enough to prevent its shirts and merchandise from being counterfeited.

"There was never any justification for them attempting to claim ownership of the Liver Bird which would have prevented the council and hundreds of other organisations from using the city’s iconic emblem."

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpo....2306125
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion