I actually think we will qualify for europe this..

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ethanr » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:09 pm

metalhead wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:Berbatov's been winding him up saying "He's behind you " and jumping out on him with a Kenny mask on :D

:laugh:  imagine.

Sir Whiskey nose is definitely scared :;):

They might get 19 but we will get 20 before them :nod

Yes we will.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby alwayslfc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:48 am

For the first time as a fan, I am actually looking forward to this colourful season to be quickly over and done with and am looking forward to next season after KK has rebuilt and overhauled the team in the summer.

This season there's an outside chance of finishing 5th but most likely we're consolidating our 6th spot which to me is a remarkable achivement considering the position we were in at one time under RH.
alwayslfc

Postby killerp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:00 am

ethanr wrote:I was looking at our remaining schedule and I actually think we will qualify for Europe this season.  We are currently 4 points behind spurs, and they have a game at hand.  Well let's just say that game at hand is the one against us, and as long as we do our job against them at home, we are only 4 points behind them.

Our remaining tough fixtures:

Home to Man City- I think we will win because we are home and they have been playing bad lately.

Away to Arsenal- Arsenal have been playing very badly lately, so I could see us stealing a draw, tho I'm expecting a loss.

Away to Fulham- Fulham are a b!tch to beat at the Cottage, but I still think we can, if not a draw.

Spurs's remaining tough fixtures:

Home to Arsenal- Spur's can't seem to play Arsenal, no matter what. 

Away to Chelsea- Chelsea are the hottest team in the prem right now.

Away to City- Both teams are playing badly, but City are pretty good at home.

Away to Liverpool- As stated earlier, I'm expecting 3 points from this one, tho it could very well decide who goes into Europe.

Liverpool have played very well lately and Spurs have been on a cold streak.  They have gained the least amount of points out of the top 6 since Dalglish has arrived and with their tough schedule coming up, I can see them dropping a lot more points. As long as we do our job at home, they will only need to drop 4 more points then us, and I can easily see them doing that with the schedule they have compared to the schedule we have.

What do you guys think? Another season of Euro or am I getting ahead of myself?

A whole other subject by the way... 8 points behind City and we play them at home, we do our job and we are only 5 points behind them.  They only play away to Everton and home to Spurs tho, so they may not be dropping so many points.  However, they have been the 2nd worst team out of the top 6 since Dalglish has arrived, only earning 1 more point then spurs.  They have a few key injuries in Tevez and Richards, and Balotelli continues to get in trouble.

Not saying that could happen, but there's still hope!

:buttrock

Even if we don't qualify for Europe, I think this season has gone ok if you take into consideration what the club went through this season. It was not so long ago that Hicks & Gillett were running the club into the ground, Hodgson didn't have a clue what to do, relegation seemed a possibility, the team seemed to have lost all purpose.

5th-6th spot, it's not so bad. We will come back stronger next season. I just hope KK gets decent backing in the summer transfer market.
killerp

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:51 am

I hate the Europa League. It has to be the most uninspiring european competition. Whether it's the sh!te opposition or the cack atmosphere, like I said before I would much prefer to win the FA Cup
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:44 am

I dont mind the Europa League - Every competition, every game even, that Liverpool play in should be played to win - a trophy is a trophy and one more win of the UEFA Cup means its ours to keep. Thats got to be good hasnt it?
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby supersub » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:26 am

dawson99 wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think Liverpool being shorn of European football next season could be a good thing ,and I suspect not having the distraction of turgid Thursday night football will have a profound effect on our overall performances .I also suspect our having only the Prem and domestic cups to compete for will have fuelled some serious debates from those down the East Lancs ,which is why Taggart will strengthen his squad this Summer in an attempt to ward off the threat of a resurgent Liverpool led by the only manager Fergie actually fears .

Its a good thing as we can concentrate on the league. Its a bad thing if we want to keep the best players. But... any player who don't stick by us through thick and thin, can fook off

I agree ......
I don't think being out of Europe next year will have an adverse affect on our ability in the transfer market...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby cptrios » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:13 pm

supersub wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:I think Liverpool being shorn of European football next season could be a good thing ,and I suspect not having the distraction of turgid Thursday night football will have a profound effect on our overall performances .I also suspect our having only the Prem and domestic cups to compete for will have fuelled some serious debates from those down the East Lancs ,which is why Taggart will strengthen his squad this Summer in an attempt to ward off the threat of a resurgent Liverpool led by the only manager Fergie actually fears .

Its a good thing as we can concentrate on the league. Its a bad thing if we want to keep the best players. But... any player who don't stick by us through thick and thin, can fook off

I agree ......
I don't think being out of Europe next year will have an adverse affect on our ability in the transfer market...

It all depends on which teams we're competing with. If we go after young players who aren't enormously well-known, we'll be fine. But we are, for example, in serious competition (apparently) to sign Eden Hazard agains Arsenal, Man City, and Spurs. A player like that isn't going to choose us over Arsenal or City unless we offer him or his club a lot more money, and the combination of Europa League and London might be enough to sway him toward Spurs.
cptrios

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:48 pm

Could Liverpool Actually Finish Fourth? The Mathematical Conclusion

It is difficult to comprehend that Liverpool are closing in on Europa League qualification in the late stages of this season.

After Roy Hodgson failed to command a revolution, the situation looked dire. Could Liverpool actually be at threat of relegation, was at one point the most appropriate question facing a team unsure of their future.

Then Kenny Dalglish came in, the likes of Meireles stepped up and scored some belters and Fernando Torres exited in what now looks like a stroke of genius.

Apart from the poor performance against West Ham, Liverpool's league performances are vastly improved. They now sit comfortably in the top six. They may not have their hands on fifth place and Europa League qualification at the moment, but their grasp is now getting stronger and more likely.

Tottenham have begun to lose form, and many Kop fans are willing their Anfield outfit on to snatch that elusive position.

But with recent form as a compass point, could Liverpool still fight for an even more unbelievable fourth placed finish?

I put this suggestion forward as a glimpse at the last eight games played by Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester City yields some interesting results. Continuation of these could lead to a completely unexpected end table.

Manchester City have scored only 11 points from their last eight outings, compared to the 19 claimed by Liverpool.
110488919_crop_340x234 Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images

Taking on board Tottenham's game in hand, they have achieved 13 points from their last nine fixtures. If this trend were to continue, then the final table would see both Liverpool and Manchester City ending the season on 64 points. Tottenham on the other hand would fall just shy on 62.

Even more intriguing, will be the remaining fixtures, most notably the impending clash between City and Liverpool. Steven Gerrard and co. will be looking for a perfect revenge on the Manchester side who demolished them 3-0 earlier in the season.

Yet now Liverpool have the legend in the making, Luis Suarez, showing Torres how it should have been done. Alongside him is the likes of Andy Carroll, looking for his opening goal after a promising start to his Liverpool career.

It is overall the team as a whole which now portrays a credible unit, instead of the mayhem and individualism that plagued the start of this league campaign.

Liverpool will still be confident from their 3-1 defeat of City's Manchester rivals. Their display of dominance against Manchester United will most certainly aim Liverpool in direction of the Champions League positions next season.

Their form against less able opposition is what has actually let them down. 

Manchester City now must prove themselves worthy of their wage packet, after a run of good form from Chelsea leaves them in danger of losing what once looked a confident top four finish.
109404736_original_crop_340x234 Richard Heathcote/Getty Images

Chelsea oddly look to achieve this feat in spite of Fernando Torres's record breaking transfer and not because of him. You only hope that the Spaniard sees little action in Europe's elite competition if his lacklustre form continues.

None of Liverpool's remaining games are certain victories. After this season, even a repeat fixture against Havant & Waterlooville would not be an expected rout.

Yet possible victories against the likes of West Brom, Newcastle and Fulham would stand them in good stead for a tricky final run down with Tottenham and Aston Villa.

Essentially, it is all about the next three games, as their trip to West Brom is accompanied with clashes against City and Arsenal.

And Arsenal are second in form only to Liverpool in their last eight games. The Londoners can smell an upset of breaking Man United's dream of an undisputed 19th Premier League title. Triumph against Liverpool is a must for them if they are to overhaul Manchester United's current five-point advantage.

At the same time, Manchester City have a tight run to the final eight games, with matches against the likes of Bolton and Sunderland accompanying decisive fixtures against Tottenham and Liverpool.

For some, the chances of a top four finish for Liverpool are gone, but for others it could make perfect sense. Liverpool are the team in form right now. With Man City and Tottenham both slipping up, there is optimism in the air.
Who Will Finish Fourth?
Manchester City Tottenham Liverpool Submit Vote vote to see results

Who Will Finish Fourth?
      Manchester City
      26.1%
      Tottenham
      5.2%
      Liverpool
      68.8%
      Total votes: 2,667

Of course this can all come crashing down if Liverpool failed to gain any wins from their next three matches. And losing against Tottenham or Manchester City will not be an option. Such an event would only be a soul destroying end to a comeback that could have matched those history breaking heroics against AC Milan.

Additionally Dalglish's future is under a constant rumour mill, with many expecting and wishing him to be offered a permanent contract. The next eight fixtures could just be the platform that enables this to come into fruition if all goes well.

Whether Liverpool now finish fourth, fifth or sixth remains to be seen. At least one certain thing that can be said about their recent run is that a confidence in the team and the players has been rebuilt in the aftermath of total desperation. And this is something that every Liverpool fan, including myself, is thankful for.

The Mathematics

Man City

Last 8 matches: 11 points

Projected Points finish: 64

Tottenham

Last 9 matches: 13 points

Projected Points finish: 62

Liverpool

Last 8 matches: 19 points

Projected Points finish: 64

http://bleacherreport.com/article....clusion
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:42 pm

who needs rawk when you can read rawk on here :D
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:10 pm

That RAWK post is completely pointless. If one thing is clearer this season more than any other is that predicting results even for better teams is so hard. The sheer number of home defeats by top four sides and the recent form of relegation sides makes making predictions for this weekend hard let alone for the rest of the season.

Lets take one game at a time yeah.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:04 pm

supersub wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

I agree ......

It will, especially in terms of revenue generated (Fair play comes into effect) and it will have an effect on our transfer budget for next season
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:26 pm

supersub wrote:

I agree ......
I don't think being out of Europe next year will have an adverse affect on our ability in the transfer market...[/quote]
If anything, it will attract players that have only signed because they genuinely have a desire to play for the Reds, above all else.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:I hate the Europa League. It has to be the most uninspiring european competition. Whether it's the sh!te opposition or the cack atmosphere, like I said before I would much prefer to win the FA Cup

I actually agree with you on that a lot, but with us bringing in possibly 4 or 5 new starters, I'm more concerned about them getting some time to play each other before league starts, especially if the do that sh!te again where we play somebody like arsenal in the first league match while manure get one of the newly promoted teams.

If we get a couple matches before, they can play together a bit and be prepared.  We will be in better shape then the team we play because our players will be more match fit and more in tune.  After season starts, we can just let our back-ups have a go.  See a lot more of players like Pacheco, Suso and Spearing.  They'll be happy getting some first-team experience and won't want to leave, and we might find some hidden talent in one or two of them. 

I don't care about winning it or even going far... I just want to use it as an advantage.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby The Good Yank » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:57 pm

Well today will really hurt in the end.  Spurs and Chelsea both get one point against Wigan and Stoke, so the door was open.  Martin Atkinson shut it. :(
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:58 pm

The Good Yank wrote:Well today will really hurt in the end.  Spurs and Chelsea both get one point against Wigan and Stoke, so the door was open.  Martin Atkinson shut it. :(

The whole team shut the door dude
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion