How time flies - 7 years ago today

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:03 am

December 8th 2004 was that famous night against Olympiakos which set us on the way to Champions League glory. I still get goosebumps looking back on it now. Against all the odds we had to win by two goals to qualify for the knockout stages and it looked extremely unlikely when Rivaldo put Olympiakos 1-0 up in the first half. This was still the score at half time.

Rafa throws on Florent Sinama-Pongolle at half time and within two minutes he has equalised to make it 1-1. We proceed to miss several chances to take the lead so with just over ten minutes to go Rafa sends on Neil Mellor as a last throw of the dice. Unbelievably with his first touch Mellor puts Liverpool infront but we still need one more goal to qualify. I think we all know what happened next. It will go down in folklore as one of the most famous and important goals in Liverpool history.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5izq8EW2XQ (part1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV7JtlsYU60 (part 2)

radio city commentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ppgUDpTT1Q

What are your abiding memories of that game and night (if you weren't too drunk)? :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:37 am

i was at uni back then and got, very, very drunk that night  :D

As for the CL final...i harldy remember it, i drank so much. Apparently i was in the student union on the dance floor with my LFC shirt on asking lasses to kiss the badge  :nod
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kerry07 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:06 am

Very hard to believe thats 7 years ago. If someone had said that night, one of the greatest ever, would be ecplised by another at Anfield only 5 months later, none of us would have believed it. Just on its own it was an incredible game, but to go on and win the whole thing made it even more iconic. The Gerrard goal is surely the stand out moment of his career. Without that goal everything would be different. Neil Mellor is remembered more for the Arsenal goal but that was miniscule in significance compared to what he did against Olympiakos. That whole Champions League campaign was pure Hollywood. Nothing ever will come close to it.
"Its not just any other club" C.Tyldsley
"Liverpool are a special institution" X.Alonso
"Anfield es un templo de fútbol" AS
"The English club prove miracles do exist" D.Maradona
"Theres not one club in the world so united with its fans. Liverpool fans sent shivers down my spine" J.Cruyff
Kerry07

Postby ethanr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:56 am

I just regret that I wasn't a fan of the game at the time.  I played, but here in the States nobody watched it, and I was no different.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:26 am

I was only able to check the score online.  No streams were working.  I just kept hitting refresh on the gamecast thing.  Went nuts when it showed Gerrard had scored.  Then kept hitting refresh non stop until I knew we were through.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:51 pm

LFC channel showing the game now.... so good!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:07 am

Was off my face, the night after the match was a blur. I do however remember placing a bet the following morning for us to win it. I got 13/1 and even lost the slip. However I managed to claim it back by showing my sig in store. :cool: Only time i've ever bet on anything.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:17 am

I still remember that night, I watched it at home and boy I went mental when Gerrard scored, woke up the next morning went to school with a big smile on my face!
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 am

I always remember how Gerrard got all the headlines with that goal but I thought his performance early on was petulant and that he was lucky not be sent off for a ill tempered tackle
Flo Po was unsung hero for me on that night and ultimately he wouldnt even end up on the bus doing victory lap
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:14 pm

laza wrote:I always remember how Gerrard got all the headlines with that goal but I thought his performance early on was petulant and that he was lucky not be sent off for a ill tempered tackle
Flo Po was unsung hero for me on that night and ultimately he wouldnt even end up on the bus doing victory lap

I though Gerrard that game was immense, he even had a screamer of the goal chalked off (should have been given). Rafa's substitutions that day changed the game, Flo and Mellor changed everything. Sometimes I think that we had made a big mistake letting Flo go, always rated him as a player and if he was given more chances he would have definitely been a great player for this club
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:22 pm

metalhead wrote:I still remember that night, I watched it at home and boy I went mental when Gerrard scored, woke up the next morning went to school with a big smile on my face!

Were you the headmaster?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby Dundalk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:32 pm

Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Dundalk wrote:Match Thread

From that match thread

Quote (banana @ Dec. 08 2004,20:43)
Hyypia is finished and Kirkland has never been anything. We're out of CL, we lose out on 10 million pounds. Which means we can't afford a new striker.

:laugh:
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:
metalhead wrote:I still remember that night, I watched it at home and boy I went mental when Gerrard scored, woke up the next morning went to school with a big smile on my face!

Were you the headmaster?
???

That's what she said
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion