Gary Mac is back

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnbarnes » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:02 am

leeroy74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:58 am wrote:Also allows us to promote from within when/if Brendan leaves/is pushed.

I thought this too.
Should BR go, GMAC would probably be the only survivor once a new management team was installed.
Hopefully, this summer will have taught BR that enough is enough!
Results and wins that's all that matters BR!
I still have faith...
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:28 am

I suspect Gary's personality got him the job as much as his coaching credentials, he's easy to get on with and talks a lot of common sense and I think he's been brought in to act as a Roy Evans type buffer between the players and the staff.
As good a coach Brendan is he can sound like he's swallowed a book of corporate CEO cliches sometimes which may grate with one or two so I reckon Gary's job will be to have plenty of long one on one chats with players and to make sure the dressing room is a harmonious place.

Edit - having worked as a pundit he's also very comfortable dealing with the media and he can take the pressure off Brendan in that regard too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Soupyzrx » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:33 am

Oh, this is good news indeed. One or two more important signings, ship out some unnecessary deadwood, and this might just have turned out to have been a good summer of business.
I was dreading the start of next season, but as it gets closer I'm becoming more optimistic.
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby algymoon » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 am

Gary Mac is the most positive signing LFC has ever done this summer.. and I wish the best of luck.
algymoon

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:06 am

I'm still awaiting benny to come along and ***** on our chips though...
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:23 pm

When did Gary last hold a coaching job in top flight footy? What are we actually taking on here and when it's all gone tits up by the end of October, who are we going to blame, the U19 coach, the U16 coach, the seemingly unqualified first team coach or ol'shiney teeth? Sounds like right bunch of misfits or a cheap Hollywood comedy to me.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:49 pm

:laugh:  chips ***** on, just not by benny
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm

Well what did you really expect, Gary Mac's a great lad and no doubt he's a crack on the after dinner speech circuit but WTF is he doing appointed LFC 1st team coach? I heard he walks round wearing a parachute.  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:47 pm

Is it official yet?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:52 pm

damjan193 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:47 pm wrote:Is it official yet?

Not yet mate
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby C-R » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:46 am

Now official...

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that Gary McAllister has been appointed as first-team coach.

The Scotsman, who forged a lasting affinity with Reds fans during a two-year spell as a player between 2000 and 2002, will work alongside Brendan Rodgers and his backroom team at Melwood.

The manager said: "Gary has a special connection with this club and its supporters, and I'm delighted he is joining our team as first-team coach.

"When I met him I was struck by his passion, enthusiasm and knowledge for what we're looking to achieve here.

"He has experience coaching at the highest level and is someone who can connect with players and help them learn from his knowledge and understanding of representing this great club."

McAllister joined Liverpool at the turn of the century on a free transfer from Coventry City, aged 35.

His experience proved invaluable, scoring seven goals in 49 appearances to help the Reds to a historic trophy treble as they lifted the FA, League and UEFA Cups in 2001.

The midfielder notched a further 38 run-outs and two strikes in 2001-02 before he departed the club firmly established as a favourite among supporters.

Speaking about his return to Liverpool, McAllister said: "I'm delighted. I'm really excited about the prospect of coming back. It's fantastic and I'm really looking forward to it.

"I feel as if I owe Liverpool, getting that opportunity at the last stage of my career, at 35 and getting that opportunity.

"This is similar, I feel the same as I did with that - that was a surprise phone call back then when I was given a chance to come and play at Liverpool as a 35-year-old.

"Right place at the right time, and I just hope it repeats itself. A lot of hard work and dedication... everything is there, Liverpool is a club where you can win things - that's a fact."

McAllister moved into coaching immediately after leaving Anfield in 2002, taking up a role as Coventry's player-manager.

He resigned from the position two years later, but returned to managerial duties when he took up the reins at Leeds United in 2008.

A coaching spell at Middlesbrough followed, before he was reunited with the man who had originally brought him to Anfield, Gerard Houllier, when he was appointed as the Frenchman's assistant at Aston Villa. He remained there until 2011.

"I'm looking forward to working with the players," he added. "There have been some exciting signings and there are some fantastic players already at the club.

"There's definite quality there and I'm just looking forward to getting in amongst it."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Great news... for LFC & GMAC.
Now get these boys to man up!
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Billy_5_Times » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:27 pm

Made up to see one Gary Mc back at Liverpool.
"I'd kick my own brother if necessary, that's what football is about" Steve McMahon
Billy_5_Times

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:39 pm

Gerrard spoke at length in his auto biography about the influence McAllister had on him as a player so hopefully GM can impart some of his wisdom onto the current squad.
Welcome back G Mac
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy c legs » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:14 am

Very pleased that Gary Mac is back. One of the first things that also sprang to my mind was that he is a potential manager in waiting.

At least all the current players will treat him with respect straight from the off and if they don't they should be reminded immediately of the impact Gary Mac made the last time he was at our club with a rendition of the long, long Gary Mac, he won all 3, on a Free song. Failing that he should just get his medals out..

What a player but more importantly - what a man.. :nod
[b]I am and always will be in love with them...
andy c legs
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion