Diao and cheyrou - Give them a chance

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:45 pm

I am so disapointed with all the fans slateing Diao and Cheyrou when they haven't been given a chance.

Diouf had to be given a run of about 30 consecuative games before he started to put in some decent perfromences.

If Gerard Houllier showed the same faith in Diao and Cheyrou maybe they would come good.

Diao has looked good when he filled in for Hamann in the anchor man roll, when Cheyrou has played he has been poor but he clearly has talent but has never been given a run.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:48 pm

I have slight sympathy with you on the Diao shout Has, albeit that he's prone to the odd reckless challenge, but I feel that Cheyrou has been tried and hasn't given us the slightest glimmer that there might be something there worth persevering with.....
RedSi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:59 pm

I would like to see more of Diao cos I think he could be good for the club, but Cheyrou has never even given a glimmer of any talent he may possess and if he wants to survive at Liverpool he better start showing some potential
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:27 pm

sorry there both DIAO-BOLICAL!!  :D
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:16 pm

I also think Diao can come good in the end,but he has to be played in his customary position rather than here,there and everywhere.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby THEBARON » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:44 am

Yes I think that we should persevere with Diao , although as a holding midfielder .... not as a centre back or  full back. At least when he has played in his best position he has shown some potential. As for Cheyrou it is a completely different story. I cannot recall any competitive games where he has shown any hint of class or ability to suggest that he can do a job for us. At the present moment could we afford to give him an extended run in the team? Best to get rid ( if anyone will take him off our hands ).
THEBARON

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:50 am

I thought that Diao received some unfair criticism last year, and he had a very good spell in September and October.

The only game that I saw Cheyrou playing well was the 5-0 win over Spartak Moscow.

Cheyrou said last year that he thought that he "wasn't good enough to play in the Premiership or for a top team like Liverpool". They are his words, not mine.

For a professional to say that...its a disgrace. He made an about turn in the summer when he said that he would knuckle down and try his best, but he has been unlucky with injuries so far.

Remember that it took Pires a year to settle into the Premiership. However, Pires was picked for almost every match, thus allowing him a chance to improve.

Cheyrou needs a run of 20 or so games so as to get a chance.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cleman » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:45 am

Diouf not performed well last season, but frankly speaking he didn't make much mistake, just the performance not as good as the expected with his 10million transfer fees.....that is the reason Diouf are given a run of 30 consecutive games....

But for Diao & Cheyrou....they played badly most of the times with silly passing and defence....such players if let them play for 30 games....I think liverpool is not even in UEFA Cup game this year !!!
Cleman

Postby the prince » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:10 am

I don't like Diouf. He didn't do anything good for LFC.
the prince

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:47 pm

the prince wrote:I don't like Diouf. He didn't do anything good for LFC.

In fairness to Diouff and to a lesser extent Diao, as Gerard Houllier said all year, both were knackered after a long 2002, where they played in the African Nations Cup (which they won) and got to the quarter finals of the World Cup.

Diouff in particular looked a yard or two off the pace in the Premiership last season. He was absolutely sensational for Senegal in the African Nations and World Cup, where he destroyed teams (notably France) with his hard running.

So far this year he has definitely improved, and looks a bit faster. I think he deserves a chance, although he needs to become more clinical with his shooting.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Nov 04, 2003 2:31 pm

It's nice to see people sticking up for diao, he could be a quality anchor man.

On the issue of cheyrou, i think for creative midfielders it's different, they need time to understand, i.e Pires, did nothing for arsenal in his first year.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 69-1067957946 » Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:01 pm

Diao should have been playing while Hamann was injured.
69-1067957946

Postby JBG » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:13 pm

True, Pires was unspectacular in his first season at Arsenal but all things are relative. He was still miles better than Cheyrou was in his first year.

The only way Cheyrou will improve is to play him. If Houllier insists on picking Smicer, at least give Cheyrou a few games ahead of the Czech. Smicer has had one chance too many.

I also agree that Diao should have been given more games when Hamman was injured.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:45 pm

I think cheyrou won't make it at liverpool anymore now we have kewell, he'll never get a run, i think he could have been a success though.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AHAK » Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:21 pm

I reckon our change in system could be benefiial for both of them.  If the new system can get the best out of Smicer.. ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

Oh...AND I still think Sami hyppia is our weak spot when we try to play in a positive way. He still sprints like he's running under water  :D No one wants to pik up on this though. :angry:
AHAK

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion