Darren potter - Involve in this season's regular side?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MCYan » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:51 pm

During a summer in which five new foreign faces have arrived at Anfield the sight of Scouse youngster Darren Potter staking a claim for a first team shirt has been like a breath of fresh air for those who champion the cause of home-grown talent.

The Republic of Ireland under-21 international has certainly made great strides at the club during the past 12 months and on the evidence of what we've seen this pre-season he's clearly a player the manager rates.

The 20-year old former Everton schoolboy has been an almost permanent fixture in the side this summer and he's determined to make the most of the chance handed to him by Rafael Benitez.

Speaking ahead of tonight's Champions League qualifier in Lithuania, where he's hoping to make his 14th senior appearance, Potter says: "The manager can bring in players from Barcelona and Real Madrid, but he has shown that it doesn't matter where you are from, if you do your best, he will have a look at you.

"At the start of pre-season I wasn't quite sure where I stood because we had bought in some new players. I have two years left on my contract, but my agent spoke to Rick Parry and he said I was in Rafa's plans.

"I wanted to see how I did in pre-season, how I progressed and whether he would keep me a part of things. I have played in the games against TNS and I hope I have given the manager some food for thought. I hope I have shown he can trust me and keep me involved."

Of course, Potter is no stranger to the senior side. Just under a year ago he made his debut in a Champions League qualifier against AK Graz and went on to play a further ten first team games during the 2004/05 campaign.

But while other young players have slipped out of Rafa's plans the slender built midfielder from Scotland Road has managed to keep himself on the periphery.

His encouraging displays down the right flank in recent games have suggested that he now deserves a regular first teamplace but the down-to-earth Academy graduate is refusing to get too carried away.

He adds: "I haven't set myself any goals particularly, just to stay in and around the first team. I am not looking too far forward. I thought maybe a loan deal would do me good this season but now I have been involved I am just trying to play as well as I can.

"I am more comfortable in the middle than on the right, but you know that Steven Gerrard, the best player in Europe, Xabi Alonso and Didi Hamann are competing for those places, so it is not going to be easy playing there. But as far as I am concerned, I'd give an arm and a leg just to get a shirt in any position." 

I wonder why Rafa really likes him that much. He does not play too well on the right. But from the report he has a very good attitude. I like his comments.
MCYan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:00 pm

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=1;t=12445 :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:01 pm

Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion