Alright

For new members to introduce themselves - Guest Book

Postby North_Ender » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Preston fan here, i was hoping to get a few opinions from Liverpool fans but i'm not allowed to start a thread yet  :sniffle

Don't know if many of you have heard but PNE have been linked with a £600k move for Neil Mellor before the window slams shut.
A fee has been agreed with a Prem club and we're talking to the player, so everyone has jumped to the conclusion that it's Mellor.

Do you think we could get him for that price?
Do you think he'd be interested in joining a club like PNE?
Would he score us some goals in the Championship?
Does he come with is own treatment table?

Sorry if these types of threads aren't allowed in this forum.
North_Ender

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:25 pm

Mellor is Championship standard, I would say that a fee of £600,000 is fair for both sides. I think if PNE can offer him regular first team football then he would go because there doesn’t seem to be any Premier League clubs interested in him. He hasn’t a huge injury record, its just recently in the past 2 years he has had problems with his knees which is a major worry, I believe he had tendonitis in both knees and had them operated on, and then had more problems last year when on loan at Wigan, apparently he is fit now.

In terms of a player, he picks up very good positions and is a decent finisher. He brings people in to play and has a decent touch. But he lacks pace, aggression and stamina. I think he could score a lot of goals for PNE if he is over his injury problems, and £600,000 could turn out to be a bargain if he stays fit.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:26 pm

Hello, Welcome.  :)

I think you could definitely get Neil Mellor for £600,000. I can't see him getting any appearances with the first team this season and Rafa isn't the type of manager to keep players who are surplus to requirements.

I think he might well be interested in playing for Preston, as long as you can offer him regular first team action, then I don't see why he wouldn't jump at the chance, unless a club like Wigan or Sheff Utd come in for him, but I can't see it.

I think Mellor would score you goals, aslong as he is getting good service from your midfield, he's is capable of scoring good goals, I take it you saw the one he scored against Arsenal two seasons ago?

He's had his injuries but he's no worse than most players with injuries.

What's your thoughts on Mellor?
Last edited by 48-1119859832 on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48-1119859832

Postby North_Ender » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm not sure, i'm not going to act like an expert on the guy but he does look like a goal scorer and if he could pull an Arsenal goal out of the bag every now and again he'd be a hero.
I was worried about his fitness and injuries as we've got quite a few crocks on our books but he sounds like he'd be worth a gamble.

A lot of North End fans seem really excited about him signing up and from reading up on him, seeing clips on You Tube etc i'm starting to warm to his signing.

The transfer has been mentioned in the Observer which doesn't usually post :censored: so it looks likely, we could do with a good striker to partner Nugent and hopefully fill his boots when he leaves and Mellor could be that man.

One thing that does worry me was his spell at West Ham where he managed to score twice in about twenty games and looked pretty much turd.
North_Ender

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:55 pm

Mellor has had a few injury problems in the past few years, but at the moment from what I gather he is fine. I think he would be worth a gamble and £600,000 could prove to be a great piece of business on your part.

He wasn't the best at West Ham, but I don't think he should be judged on that, he's young and he's capable of learning the trade and I'm sure with regular first team action at Preston, he will no doubt improve as a player.
48-1119859832

Postby davo_LFC » Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:05 pm

i think someone like rush said that he was a natural goalscorer when he had that stint as striking coach, apparently more natural than owen.

hes a decent player and he will score goals for fun at that level, when he did get his chance in the liverpool first team he scored quite a few olympiakos etc and helped us out big time when we had that injury crisis.
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby North_Ender » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:47 pm

Well we've got a friendly with Liverpool today or tommorow behind closed doors, hopefully it's to check on Mellor and hopefully get him signed before the deadline....we've also got two random foriegners on trial.

We've got three days to get somebody signed and i'd be fuming but not suprised if we don't.
North_Ender

Postby stmichael » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:53 pm

is mellor being brought as a replacement for nugent? i hear there are a couple of premiership clubs trying to sign him before the window closes.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby North_Ender » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:13 pm

stmichael wrote:is mellor being brought as a replacement for nugent? i hear there are a couple of premiership clubs trying to sign him before the window closes.

He's been linked with a Premiership move everytime the window has been open, Boro are the latest to be interested.

As far as i'm aware Mellor won't be a replacement because Simpson has come out and said Nuge is going nowhere but who knows with PNE.

They'd be a class partnership on paper in the Championship though.
North_Ender

Postby ConnO'var » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:40 pm

Welcome mate....

I reckon he's worth the 600K quid......
ConnO'var

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:15 pm

How is Mellor doing at PNE?

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Don't think he's made his debut yet CHL, more knee problems.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:36 pm

Looks like we shifted him just in time.

Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Introductions Forum