Your recollection of 15.4.89 - How do you remember it?

Hillsborough remembrance and related information

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:35 am

I know this will bring back many bad memories for those of us who remember that day, but I think it's worth doing, just so those fans who weren't watching the scenes of that day can actually realise what it was like and why it's so important to Liverpool fans.

My recollection of the day is very vivid and the memories will never leave me, not even with a "sorry" from that paper, because sorry doesn't wash away the words and images I saw.

I woke up, as excited as the rest of the Liverpool fans because it was semi final day of the FA Cup 1989. Liverpool v Nottingham Forest, at Hillsbrough, Sheffield. Grandstand just finished and the build up was beginning properly.

The family starting to arrive at the house. Me and my four brothers. The old man in his chair and uncles and cousins surrounding us. All gearing up for what was supposed to be a great FA Cup semi final.

Even before the kick-off we could see trouble was happening, fans rushing to get in before the whistle went, others just being pushed closer and closer to the iron fence.

Then disaster struck and it hit the whole footballing world, not just Liverpool. It hit everyone, people saw fans dying on the same pitch as their idols were playing. Members of my family were turning away, they couldn't watch. The rest of us glued to the telly, watching hell unfold in front of us.

Bodies falling onto the pitch and upon each other. Lying there motionless because their lives had been taken away from them at the very place their lives surrounded round, a football match. As everyone watched it every single fan felt it inside. Everyone knew this was a horror show.

3.06 and the ref called the game off. But the pictures remained. People continued to struggle causing more and more problems. We all saw the pictures, and they'll live with us forever as will the memories of those gone and those who lost friends or family on that day.

I'll never forget and I know no other true fan of this club or football in general will forget either.

RIP
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Sean » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:53 pm

I was studying for exams so had been taping the game with a view to watching it later.  After about ten minutes my dad shouted up the stairs that the game had been stopped so I left the books and came down to watch the terrible scenes on t.v.  I left the video taping and taped all the news reports later that evening as well as the replay.  Every few years I pull out the tape to watch it again.  It doesn't get any easier.  Seeing the ambulance race across the pitch, supporters stretchering their friends off the pitch, people trying to give the kiss of life.  Its hard to believe 19 years have passed since that terrible day.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Return to Hillsborough