Very moving piece of literature. - Bring tears to your eyes.

Hillsborough remembrance and related information

Postby 112-1077774096 » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:32 am

speechless. i w as a policeman in liverpool at the time adn i never went to Hillsbrough as i was working. i went to Anfiled the next morning as people were arriving and will never forget the sight of a man in the corner of the Kop crying. i visited Anfield so many time over the next few weeks.

A guy i worked with, a detective constable was at the game, he was very critical of the police there and also made his feelings known in the press. as a policeman at the time i wondered how i would have reacted if i was a pc there, very sad
112-1077774096

Postby Dalglish » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:32 pm

Hi peewee, I agree that most policemen that day on duty agreed that the organisation for such a high profile event was inadequate and neglitant. The lies that were propogated and leaked to the Sun alledgeadly at that time and to a large extent came from the very top in the South yorkshire police force.

But the events of that day and the police handling was shocking and they ARE culpable !!!!!!!! How else do you exaplin that when LFC fans were running across the pitch to rip off Advertising hoardings to use as makeshift stretchers, the Police formed   human chain across the half way line cos they thought liverpool fans were trying to get at the forset fans at the other end.

Also police and stewards threw fans BACK into pens 3 and 4 believing they were trying to invade the pitch and almost certainly threw them back there to their deaths.....

Football fans were largely looked on as a necessary evil back then and trested as such ..............

:(
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:43 pm

Dalglish wrote:How else do you exaplin that when LFC fans were running across the pitch to rip off Advertising hoardings to use as makeshift stretchers, the Police formed   human chain across the half way line cos they thought liverpool fans were trying to get at the forset fans at the other end.

Also police and stewards threw fans BACK into pens 3 and 4 believing they were trying to invade the pitch and almost certainly threw them back there to their deaths.....

That is shocking, couldn't they see the indication of people trying to get out of the pen's meant they were over-flowing the number they were made for?

It sound's like the Police were responsible for a very large percentage of the disaster, if not, it all.

I don't mean to harp on about this, but i still can't believe the way this has struck me down. Im continuely going through the little play in my head, i see everyone running around in desperate measure's trying to get out, but all the screaming i can here is distant as if it's further away than the position im in. Im standing in a small tunnel seeing everyone running past and helping each other...i think i need help. :(
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:41 pm

Hiya KOP 1892, please don't allow this to affect your mind and general well being mate. There are organisations that can help people come to terms with the events of that terrible day. HJC have approved organisations who help those affected. I was very fortunate and am thankful to many friends and family who supported me.

I'm largely OK , Springs always a  difficult time as the Anniversary approaches but i've got on with my life becaue its the right thing to do and as a tribute to those that fell ........

If your really struggling its best not to delve into this matter further until you feel strong enough to face it. For a long time I made the decision not to dwell on the events and subsequebt findings, iyts only as time has passed i have researched futher and discovered the truths of hillsborough.

I wish you well.

Ian
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:18 pm

I hope with what i'm going to say that I don't offend people.

I'm a protestant living in a very divided society.  Some of you will be aware of the injustices carried out against the people of Northern Ireland by our own people, By a unionist government and by the state itself.  Many of you I hope are aware of the terrible events of Bloody Sunday and will I believe now know that Innocent lives were taken by over Zealous commanders.  The public enquiry has cost over £300,000000 to the British tax payers.  My question is simply why is Hillsbrough and the gross mis-conduct of senior officials not being given the same scrutiny.  Are the lives of the innocent not equally important wherever injustice occurs.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:01 pm

That in itself is one of the injustices of the whole Hillsborough issue. It's also reflected in an earlier post (Dalglish's I think) which compares payouts to police officers who were traumatised by events to what the families received after having loved ones snatched away from them for ever.

I feel one of the myriad reasons for the inaction over Hillsborough is that, unlike the troubles in NI, it's not a political issue and as such nobody can make political capital from it, hence it's left to private individuals to do what they can.

Football fans in general are deemed to be a lowly bunch of people with little value, particularly fans of northern clubs. I honestly think that had it been Chelsea or Arsenal fans who were there that day then more would have been done to bring to justice those responsible. The authorities imo feel the greater good lies with protecting the image and interests of South Yorkshire Police and that the feelings and suffering of the families of the 96 are inconsequential in comparison. The term "whitewash" all too easily springs to mind. They were perhaps what George Bush might describe as "collateral damage".

So, no politician will carry the torch so it is left to people like Mottman and everybody at the HJC to continue the fight and God knows I hope they get their day and that the families of the 96 can finally go to bed at night knowing the truth has finally been told.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby oldredeyes » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:15 pm

I have been reading the posts over the past couple of days and for some reason have been a bit reluctant to post my own opinion.
Like Dalglish I was at Hillsborough with some of my friends.
I was really lucky to get a ticket in a spot that kept me way out of trouble. But the memory of seeing the disaster unfold in front of me will stay with me for the rest of my life.
I was also at Hysel when we played Juventus and never thought I would witness people losing their lives at a football match again..but I did.
One of my best friends was caught in the crush at Hillsborough.
He survived in the physical sense but was a different man after that awful day.
He never went to a game again and wouldn't go anywhere that was likely to draw large crowds of people.
He carried on with his life and his job as normal but rarely spoke about football and seemed to lose interest in the team altogether.
He died of cancer last year and I miss him like hell.
His wife told me recently that he would often lay awake at night and sob quitely to himself..when she asked him why he was crying he would always say 'Why me? how come I survived to come home to my family when so many perished'.
He was a lovely man who never sought attention and preferred to live his life in a quiet way. He did see counsellours and doctors but always felt he didn't need any help - and outwardly he looked OK...bit I don't think he was.
I just hope I did enough to ease the pain for him..I don't know if I did.
Thinking of him just brings back memories of that day...the last time we went to a match together.
God bless Rob.
oldredeyes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:26 pm

Very sad story Old Red Eyes.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Dalglish » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:28 am

Thanks for sharing that old Red Eyes and I'm sure you won't mind e saying there are 100's if not 1000's of stories like it in and around Liverpool and related to the events of that terrible day .

I like yourself am a survivor , my mate pulled me out of pen 3 minus my shoes, the buttons on my shirt and my watch.....he went on to be the best man at my wedding only 2 years ago and although we have both sought to get on and live our lives this time of year is poignant and painful for us both.

I'm sorry that your friend couldn't find the peace he was searching for , may he rest in peace now with the fallen 96

Walk on ....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gareth G » Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:16 pm

Dalglish

Thank you mate, i still haven't got round to delving into it more, i don't think im ready yet.

I definitely will though, once i think im ready ill be in there.

Again, thank you.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heart-le-POOL » Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:53 pm

I remember this day vividly.
I have also recently read SO much about the Hillsborough disaster...the fight for justice must never end!

Reading this has moved me to tears.

Liverpool F.C are a special club with special fans.
You'll never walk alone
heart-le-POOL

Postby jonnymac1979 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 2:59 am

A thread every member on this forum should spend twenty minutes or so reading.

Absolutely devastating.  Something we'll all never forget.  Those poor families, I hope one day they get the justice they are fighting for and deserve.

YNWA 96
jonnymac1979

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:25 am

What can you say jonny i'ts a heartbreaking thread and it brings back alot of sad memories.I was working in Portsmouth at the time,but me brothers went the game and came home o.k.I remember just feeling sick to the stomache for days when i came home to see my family.One of my best friends was at the match and he was stuck and got out some how.He didn't really get over it and ended up in broad oak for a while . Then he commited suicide some years later and they said he was severly depressed. There you go, it just hits it home that there were a hell of a lot of victims on that terrible day. R I P 96 and R I P  Mark.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:45 am

I was only 4 when it happened but reading that makes me feel the emotions of all Liverpool Fans.

RIP the 96

You'll Never Walk Alone
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:53 pm

Jonny i hope you don't mind but,i copied this and my wife put it on her mother and baby forum. There's been alot of posative feedback with women promising not to by the scum and promising to nag there husbands to do the same.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Hillsborough