My respects for the 96 - I urge others to learn

Hillsborough remembrance and related information

Postby we all dream... » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:47 pm

I love Liverpool Football Club. That is where I'll start. I love football and Liverpool F.C. has always been a huge passion of mine. One I've really grown into, one I am really passionate about. I'm not a Scouser, I come from Lancaster, north Lancs, but my Granddad was a Scouser, he was a bitter. I think I started to support LFC to annoy him... I'm 21 by the way. I love being in and around Liverpool, I have always had great banter. I've seen some fantastic Liverpool matches and experienced some magical nights. I wish I was around in the 70's and 80's to fully understand the greatness of this fantastic club.

As a Liverpool fan you hear a lot about our history because it's so prestigious. I don't know how other fans feel but I have always felt it essential to learn about our past. It made me, as a young lad, feel like a proper fan. It enabled me outclass my peers with my knowledge and knock down some scum fans when they were getting to big for their boots. I new how many times we had won the league. I new we had won the European Cup 4 times, now 5, and took great pleasure in reeling off 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005.

I would hope that all Liverpool fans no the basics of the history that has built this great institution.

To my shame I never new about Hillsborough. Never properly anyway. My thoughts up until quite recently were that the police let too many people in and 96 very unlucky people lost their lives. Tragic. But that was it. To my shame I even bought The S*n. I had no one to teach me and this is where we as Liverpool ambassadors need to shape up or at least that is what I feel from my experiences.

I recently read every thread in this topic. I was nearly in tears many a time and felt compelled to know more. I felt angry and upset because of the unjust actions taken against the dead and their families after the event. I was horrified at the calamitous events that lead to such a tragic day. I was disgusted with The S*n and ashamed that I was only finding out about it at the age of 21. I went out and bought 'Hillsbrough The Truth.' A harrowing, educational, insightful but damming book. I could sit here and vent all of my anger and write about all of the appalling events that happened on the day and afterwards in the papers and courts. That is not what I am here to do, I want to show respect and urge others to follow what I have done and learn.

I read the book in 2 sittings, it was such compelling reading. So much detail, good narrative and heart wrenching stories. A must for every Liverpool fan. I will never hold it against a fan for having lack of knowledge, I was in the same boat, but I would strongly urge them to read it. I feel so strongly connected to the club now, to the people. It has affected me a lot, I realy feel for this families.

I thought my little bro, my Dad and my mates who are Scum fans recently, and to their credit they all listened and took in the facts and felt bad at their previous uneducated swipes. One friend went back and taught his old man, a huge Manc, who had a real issue with Hillsborough because of what he had heard at the time. He was very shocked to hear what his son had to say. I feel that we need to keep this sort of thing going to educate other fans on the events that took place. 

I am writing this now firstly because I feel compelled to show my respect, my condolences and my support for everybody involved in the tragedy and of course to the 96 who needlessly lost their lives. I want to apologise for my prior lack of knowledge and to commit to the Fight for Justice.

Secondly I wanted to ask / suggest that somebody (preferably someone with a bit more credibility within this site, preferably a local with some good knowledge and an understanding of the type of thing that is needed) should start a memorial thread for the up and coming 20th anniversary on the 15th of April. A place for people to show respect and a place for people to talk and learn. People seem scared to talk about the events that took place but this should not be the case.

So finally I want to send my deepest sympathies, condolences and support to the bereaved. My heart goes out to you all. Keep on the fight for justice, never let the 96 be forgotten.

Justice For The 96

You'll never walk alone.

R.I.P.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 pm

That is a beautifully written post from the heart lad an i was choked reading it. Im made up that lads like you support our team, i really am , Its fans like you who get my greatest respect,

Top top post
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Nice one we all dream! :bowdown
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 pm

Top post mate

To my shame I never new about Hillsborough. Never properly anyway. My thoughts up until quite recently were that the police let too many people in and 96 very unlucky people lost their lives. Tragic. But that was it. To my shame I even bought The S*n. I had no one to teach me and this is where we as Liverpool ambassadors need to shape up or at least that is what I feel from my experiences.

I have the same shame because the news from Hillsborough that ended up in the my country TV were those given by English press agencies, and it wasn't the truth.

One of the things that make me proud of this forum is that when I joined some supporters pointed me the direction to learn about the truth. Only for that it was a great idea to join this site.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:50 pm

we all dream... wrote:Secondly I wanted to ask / suggest that somebody (preferably someone with a bit more credibility within this site, preferably a local with some good knowledge and an understanding of the type of thing that is needed) should start a memorial thread for the up and coming 20th anniversary on the 15th of April. A place for people to show respect and a place for people to talk and learn. People seem scared to talk about the events that took place but this should not be the case.

It will definitely happen mate.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redhayesy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:46 pm

we all dream... wrote:I love Liverpool Football Club. That is where I'll start. I love football and Liverpool F.C. has always been a huge passion of mine. One I've really grown into, one I am really passionate about. I'm not a Scouser, I come from Lancaster, north Lancs, but my Granddad was a Scouser, he was a bitter. I think I started to support LFC to annoy him... I'm 21 by the way. I love being in and around Liverpool, I have always had great banter. I've seen some fantastic Liverpool matches and experienced some magical nights. I wish I was around in the 70's and 80's to fully understand the greatness of this fantastic club.

As a Liverpool fan you hear a lot about our history because it's so prestigious. I don't know how other fans feel but I have always felt it essential to learn about our past. It made me, as a young lad, feel like a proper fan. It enabled me outclass my peers with my knowledge and knock down some scum fans when they were getting to big for their boots. I new how many times we had won the league. I new we had won the European Cup 4 times, now 5, and took great pleasure in reeling off 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984 and 2005.

I would hope that all Liverpool fans no the basics of the history that has built this great institution.

I recently read every thread in this topic. I was nearly in tears many a time and felt compelled to know more. I felt angry and upset because of the unjust actions taken against the dead and their families after the event. I was horrified at the calamitous events that lead to such a tragic day. I was disgusted with The S*n and ashamed that I was only finding out about it at the age of 21. I went out and bought 'Hillsbrough The Truth.' A harrowing, educational, insightful but damming book. I could sit here and vent all of my anger and write about all of the appalling events that happened on the day and afterwards in the papers and courts. That is not what I am here to do, I want to show respect and urge others to follow what I have done and learn.

I read the book in 2 sittings, it was such compelling reading. So much detail, good narrative and heart wrenching stories. A must for every Liverpool fan. I will never hold it against a fan for having lack of knowledge, I was in the same boat, but I would strongly urge them to read it. I feel so strongly connected to the club now, to the people. It has affected me a lot, I realy feel for this families.

I thought my little bro, my Dad and my mates who are Scum fans recently, and to their credit they all listened and took in the facts and felt bad at their previous uneducated swipes. One friend went back and taught his old man, a huge Manc, who had a real issue with Hillsborough because of what he had heard at the time. He was very shocked to hear what his son had to say. I feel that we need to keep this sort of thing going to educate other fans on the events that took place. 

I am writing this now firstly because I feel compelled to show my respect, my condolences and my support for everybody involved in the tragedy and of course to the 96 who needlessly lost their lives. I want to apologise for my prior lack of knowledge and to commit to the Fight for Justice.

Secondly I wanted to ask / suggest that somebody (preferably someone with a bit more credibility within this site, preferably a local with some good knowledge and an understanding of the type of thing that is needed) should start a memorial thread for the up and coming 20th anniversary on the 15th of April. A place for people to show respect and a place for people to talk and learn. People seem scared to talk about the events that took place but this should not be the case.

So finally I want to send my deepest sympathies, condolences and support to the bereaved. My heart goes out to you all. Keep on the fight for justice, never let the 96 be forgotten.

Justice For The 96

You'll never walk alone.

R.I.P.

really good post mate, your appologies are very humble to read. i was i was 22 years old when i was pulled out of leppings lane,& count my blessing every day to still love & support LFC as their is 96 brothers & sisters who will never get to see our beloved football cub again. you say to your shame that that you never knew about hillsborough- well at least you have made the effort to learn & gained knowledge about what REALLY happened that never to be forgotten day. please take it from someone like me who is a survivor that your post is a credit to you mate. all so called LFC fans should know our history however painfull some parts are. i'm sure their are alot of LFC fans of your age who haven't reserched hillsborough in the depth you have, & i say that one of the first things they should do is to read 'hillsborough the truth' as it was very painfull for me to read this book aswell- but it was 2 days out of my life to read it from start to finish, 2 days of emotion but also time to reflect how lucky i am to still be alive. i will be 42 soon & it's the love & support of my wife,2 children other family members & freinds that help me cope.

my children have been educated about hillsboruogh,in a way that they also cherish life & it's values. as it took me along time in life to even talk about hillsborough, i had counciling afterwards which did help me move on in life but the 15th april 1989 will always stay with me. i have 2 tattoes on my arm which is in memory of the 96. the other one is "justice for all"
as i like many ,many others will never give up in fighting for justice for the 96. Y. N. W. A.

once again good post lad, try to keep educating people you know about hillsborough & the truth.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Effes » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:29 am

Thought I'd just dedicate my 3000th post in here.

Everyone has a story I guess.
My best mate and my brother were both there - Ive never disussed it with them since.

RIP the 96.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:22 pm

you lot deserve silverware this season

RIP

YNWA
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby we all dream... » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Everybody should be watching bbc1 now if they can.

I think the minutes silence is going to be on there before kick off as well.

RIP

You'll never walk alone.
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby we all dream... » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Just to let those who are unaware aware there is a Hillsborough tribute show on Radio 5 Live tonight at 7 'Hillsbrough stories'... 

Hopefully it'll be an insightful listen. JF96 RIP YNWA
we all dream...
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Hillsborough