Umbongo - The ultimate guide:

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:19 pm

Um Bongo was a fruity drink popular in the 1980's. It also had a popular and catchy song to go along with the advert. It went:

Way down deep in the middle of the Congo, a hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. He stuck it with the others, and he danced a dainty tango.The rhino said, "I know, we'll call it Um Bongo", Um Bongo, Um Bongo, They drink it in the Congo.The python picked the passion fruit, the marmoset the mandarin. The parrot painted packets, that the whole caboodle landed in. So when it comes to sun and fun and goodness in the jungle, They all prefer the sunny funny one they call Um Bongo!

What follows is the result of a discussion over exactly what animal picked what fruit! The following are all babel fish translations of the um bongo song from English to X and back to English.

French
The manner to the bottom deeply in the medium of Congo, a hippo took an apricot, a guava and a mango. It stuck it with the others, and it danced a tasty tango. The rhino indicated, "I know, us will call it UM Bongo", UM Bongo, UM Bongo, they drink it in Congo. The python selected the edible passiflora, the marmoset the tangerine. The parrot painted packages, that the whole caboodle unloaded inside. Thus when it comes to expose to the sun and recreation and quality in the jungle, they all prefer funny the sunny one that they call the UM Bongo!

German
Way down deeply in the middle in the Congo, hippo took an apricot, a Guajava and a Mangopflaume. It clung it with the others, and it danced a koestliches tango. Rhino, "I said white, we call it around Bongo", around Bongo, around Bongo, her drink it in the Congo. Python the passion fruit selected, marmoset the Mandarine out. The parrot painted packages, which the complete caboodle, which was inside landed. So, if he comes himself to sun and fun and quality in the jungle, everything prefers her the sunny merry, which they designate around Bongo!

Italian
The sense down in depth in means of the Congo, a hippo has taken an apricot, one guaiava and a mango. It has attacked with the others and it has danced a tango dainty. The rhino it has said, "I know, we I will call it Um Bongo", Um Bongo, the Um Bongo, drink it in the Congo. The python it has selected the eatable passion-flower, marmoset the Mandarin. The parrot has painted the packages, that one the caboodle entire landed within. Therefore when it comes to expose to the sun and divertimento and the quality in the giungla, all prefer what amusing full of sun they call the Um Bongo!

Japanese
Deeply method with the Congolese center, the hippo apricot, took the guava and the ???. He attached that of other things, the cute tango danced. You called the Rhino, " I, us that it calls the um Bongo " and, the um Bongo and the um Bongo, those have known the Congolese that is drunk. The passionate fruit namely the marmoset the mandarin it chose the Python. The ??? that all caboodle which lands painted the package. So, when that bleaching in the pleasure and merit day of the jungle coming, brightly strange one where those call all um Bongo is liked,!

Chinese
The way gets down deeply deeply among Congo, hippo adopts the apricot, the common guayava and the mango. He stick it with other, and he dance as soon as purify tango. Rhino thinks, " I know, we will call it Um Bongo ", Um Bongo, Um Bongo, they will drink it in Congo. Python picks the passion flower fruit, marmoset this north Beijing accent. This parrot draws the packet, that whole caboodle lands. So when it tan with the pleasure and nicely in this jungle, they completely like sunny funny one them call Um Bongo!

Portuguese
The low way for deeply in the way it the Congo, one hippo fêz examination of an apricot, one guava and one mango. It pierced it with the other, and danced a rhino of the dainty tango.The said, "me knows, we will call it a Bongo", a Bongo, a Bongo, them drinks it in python of Congo.The chose the passion fruit, marmoset the Mandarin. The parrot painted packages, that one caboodle entire filled with earth inside. Thus when it comes if expôr to the sun and amusement and goodness in the forest, all prefer that funny sunny they call a Bongo!

Korean
The method of lower part from the deep place inside the center of People's Republic of Congo, had the hippo apricot, the guava and the mango and it went. He " holds the dainty tango.The rhino which ci height, talks it to the different person, us tube anger bravery it did the ardor fruit and the marmoset which sharp pains it inside the Congo.The python which Um Bongo ", Um Bongo and Um Bongo, they drinks it a thing which it will call. The parrot the whole caboodle which inside that lands drew the parcel. To be like this it when coming, they all Um Bongo call the fact that inside this jungle it will bask in fun and the virtue sun and it likes one thing which is the fun which dawns!

Spanish
The way down deeply in the center of the Congo, hippo took an apricot, one guayaba and a handle. It stuck it with the others, and he danced a rhino of the treat tango.The saying, "I knows, we will call Um Canoe", Um Canoe, Um Canoe, they drinks it in python of Congo.The chose the passion fruit, marmoset the official held in low esteem. The parrot painted the packages, of which caboodle whole landed inside. So when it comes to get sunburned and diversion and quality in the forest, all prefer amused the sunny one that call Um Canoe!

And finally.... Bork!
This hasn't been translated back, just from English to Bork via Tim Parks ibmchef program

Vey doon deep in zee meeddle-a ooff zee Cungu, a heeppu tuuk un epreecut, a gooefa und a mungu. He-a stoock it veet zee oozeers, und he-a dunced a deeenty tungu.Zee rheenu seeed, "I knoo, ve'll cell it Um Bungu", Um Bungu, Um Bungu, Zeey dreenk it in zee Cungu.Zee pythun peecked zee pesseeun frooeet, zee mermuset zee mundereen. Zee perrut peeented peckets, thet zee vhule-a cebuudle-a lunded in. Su vhee it cumes tu soon und foon und guudness in zee joongle-a, Zeey ell preffer zee soonny foonny oone-a zeey cell Um Bungu!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:34 pm

acid, Dawson? ???
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:36 pm

i just thought some people here might appreciate the global phenomenon that is UMBONGO

they drink it in the congo dontcha know? :p
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:37 pm

:D

boss beverage  :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:43 pm

Dawson, why is all your foreign exerts in English?? ???
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:47 pm

The Return of the Judge wrote:Dawson, why is all your foreign exerts in English?? ???

eh? whats an exert?
are u nisinuating something sir?  :p
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:48 pm

soz, foreign bits about umbongo, theyre all in english
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:56 pm

of course they are, what did u expect?
this is getting more surreal by the minute
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:57 pm

Does anyone know were you can still get it?
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:58 pm

yes, i do
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:56 pm

The Dog and Gorilla has gallons of the stuff but you have to sing the umbongo song in welsh to get some and as you can see Dawson ain't sharing that bit of info .
:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Dom1 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:21 pm

the congo :D
when you're 4-0 up..
you should never lose 7-1
Dom1

Postby Judge » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:18 am

give him an apricot or a guava or a mango
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<