Thunderbird - ...not the friggin puppets...

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:29 am

this stuff is legendary but sadly seems hard to find now. i blame the slow disintegration of society, yobbishness, gangs, and general delinquency on the lack of this stuff. as i teenager it was an indispensible ingredient of a good night out and it did me nothing but good.

from the fantastic bumwine

As pictured to the left, look for the pigeon feces and you'll find this old bird.  As soon as you taste this swill, it will be obvious that its makers cut every corner possible in its production to make it cheap.  Self-proclaimed as "The American Classic,"  Thuderbird is Vinted and bottled by E&J Gallo Winery, in in Modesto, CA.  Disguised like Night Train, the label says that it is made by "Thunderbird, Ltd."  If your taste buds are shot, and you need to get trashed with a quickness, then "T-bird" is the drink for you.  Or, if you like to smell your hand after pumping gas, look no further than Thunderbird.  As you drink on, the bird soars higher while you sink lower.  The undisputed leader of the five in foulness of flavor, we highly discourage driking this ghastly mixture of unknown chemicals unless you really are a bum.  A convenience store clerk in Show Low, AZ once told me that only the oldest of stumbling indian drunks from the reservation buy Thunderbird.  Avaliable in 750 mL and a devastating 50 oz jug.

The history of Thunderbird is as interesting as the drunken effects the one experiences from the wine.  When Prohibition ended, Ernest Gallo and his brothers Julio and Joe wanted to corner the young wine market.  Earnest wanted the company to become "the Campbell Soup company of the wine industry" so he started selling Thunderbird in the ghettos around the country.  Their radio adds featured a song that sang, "What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice."  It is said that Ernest once drove through a tough, inner city neighborhood and pulled over when he saw a bum.  When Gallo rolled down his window and called out, "What's the word?" the immediate answer from the bum was, "Thunderbird."

WARNING:  This light yellow liquid turns your lips and mouth black!  A mysterious chemical reaction similar to disappearing-reappearing ink makes you look like you've been chewing on hearty clumps of charcoal.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Used to get absolutely marmalized on the stuff. Happy [yet cheap] days.

Remember the blue one being 'easier to neck' (or at least quicker!) for some reason  :upside:

But of course, the red one is the best.  :) 

Felt kind of 'civilised' swigging the red one behind Lenon's of many a night long gone by...

How much is a bottle now anyway?

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:33 pm

aaah thunderbird, happy memories. blue for a school night, red at the weekend. necking a bottle before going out on a fri/sat always made for a raucous night out  :buttrock
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:31 pm

The choice of wine was always dependant on the quality of the weed you had managed to procure that night ,if it was plain old Leb ,then copious amounts of Merrydown cider would have to be necked in tandem with a Red thunderbird ,if on the other hand you had managed to bag some Sensi ,or really hit the jackpot with Sputnik then it wouldn't matter a jot if your choice of beverage was a large bottle of Cresta :D
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:18 pm

......sensi.......  :hearts

F*ck me - i remember it well.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:58 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:or really hit the jackpot with Sputnik then it wouldn't matter a jot if your choice of beverage was a large bottle of Cresta :D

ah yes, i remember those regular teenage whities from too much sputnik and thunderbird

:laugh:

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:05 pm

sputnik :D   there's a blast from the past   :laugh:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:16 pm

andy_g wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:or really hit the jackpot with Sputnik then it wouldn't matter a jot if your choice of beverage was a large bottle of Cresta :D

ah yes, i remember those regular teenage whities from too much sputnik and thunderbird

:laugh:

The early morning stop off's at the local garage to stock up on Curly Wurly's and Monster Munch ,a garage attendants worst nightmare, witnessing first hand our social circle discussing the importance of stealth in negotiating your way back into the family home  :laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum