Syd barratt (pink floyd) - 1946-2006

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby red37 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:34 pm

thought someone may have put this up earlier.....

last friday saw the passing of one of rocks leading lights fade out and diminish from our proximity. "be still now, the dark turns to light after the longest of nights"... ive had many a fine hour in your enchanting brilliance. 

rest in peace syd you crazy, crazy diamond. :bowdown

Syd Barrett dies age 60

Pink Floyd legend passes away at home

11 July 06 - Sixties legend Syd Barrett, the former singer and lead guitarist of Pink Floyd, has died.

He passed away last Friday (7 July) at his Cambridge home from complications related to diabetes aged just 60.

His brother Alan confirmed his death, saying only: "He died peacefully at home. There will be a private family funeral in the next few days."

Barrett's former Floyd bandmates Nick Mason and Richard Wright issued this statement:

"The band are naturally very upset and sad to learn of Syd Barrett's death.

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."

Barrett had a drug-induced breakdown at the height of his fame and has been a virtual recluse ever since.

"Syd was the guiding light of the early band line-up and leaves a legacy which continues to inspire."
Pink Floyd statement

Pete Jenner was Pink Floyd's original manager. He told 6 Music he was upset to learn the sad news of Barrett's death, but added he wasn't "totally surprised":

"About six months ago the rumour hit me that he was very unwell and was having trouble with his sight because of his diabetes."

He added: "Rumour has it that he [Barrett] appeared on occasions and certainly seemed to feel that they [Pink Floyd] were still his band, and it was very hard to get through to him.

"So I don't know whether he fully accepted that he had left the band or what his position was."

Graham Coxon is among the fellow musicians who've been lining up to pay tribute to the star.

He told 6 Music that Barrett was an enormous influence on him as a guitarist:

"He's terribly overlooked as a guitar player. He's someone I listen to regularly and I was only listening to him the other day.

Coxon added: "For me as a songwriter, he was someone who seemed to take us places that were ever so special, with a lot of humour and mischief. A treasure of this country."

Barrett was born Roger Keith Barrett in Cambridge in 1946, gaining the nickname 'Syd' at the age of 15.

He left Pink Floyd in 1968, just as the band was on the verge of gaining huge international acclaim.

The band penned Shine On You Crazy Diamond in tribute to him a few years later, appearing on their 1975 classic album Wish You Were Here . Just last summer at Live 8, the briefly reformed line-up dedicated the song to their former bandmate live on stage.

Meanwhile, the band's 1967 debut album The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is credited as one of the best psychedelic albums of all time, taking its title from a chapter in Barrett's favourite children's book, The Wind in the Willows .

Despite having left the band by the time of the release of the second album, A Saucerful of Secrets , the following year, his influence is still felt in the shape of the track Jugband Blues, which he penned.

He was replaced by guitarist, and friend of the band, David Gilmour, who had been originally drafted in as a fifth member as Barrett's behaviour become more erratic.

However, Barrett re-emerged in 1970, releasing two solo albums, The Madcap Laughs and Barrett. Both records featured his former Floyd bandmates (David Gilmour also produced most of the sessions) as well as members of the Soft Machine.

However, these are his only solo works post-Floyd. He became a recluse once more, and was never to release any more material.

In 2004, a five-song session he recorded for John Peel's Radio 1 show in 1970 was uncovered and released.

Syd Barrett
6 January 1946 - 7 July 2006

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:08 am

red37 wrote:thought someone may have put this up earlier.....

Why ?

He made one album with pink floyd and his solo stuff sucked . Got nothing against the guy but he's been seriously overated IMO .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:22 am

2 albums and the 'essence' of the band really. for many ppl 'cult-prog-rock' will sound as exciting as paint drying.

truth is he never ever did achieve substantial acclaim outside the public perception of the band as a "weird" bunch of ex-uni types that dabbled in psychedelic guff passed off as 'musical content' largely due to illness and paranoia.

though 'piper' and 'saucerful' were his only true collaborations with the other members. and little heard of ones at that. had it not been for barett, much of the 'commercial' output from the band since would never have materialised, let alone have been interpreted as being inspired by him.  "dark side of the moon...the wall..shine on" to name but a few. all in some shape or form are representations of the man and his self-imposed exile. simply, without barrett there could be no pink floyd. at least not the one thats shaped by our concept of it.

artists from bowie,mcartney,R.E.M,townsend,bolan to placebo,soundgarden,johnny marr, robert smith right up to the smashing pumpkins, john frusciante etc..have all either covered his work or at least been inspired by his quite brilliant if deluded mind.

you cannot say the name 'pink floyd' and NOT have cause to reflect on his influence.. and while there will obviously be some antipathy for his efforts. much remains because of it.

R.I.P  roger "syd" barrett

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:52 am

His only contibution on Saucerful of Secrets is guitar and vocals on ONE track "JUGBAND BLUES" . (although he does receive writing credit for much of the album)

To suggest that he shaped the band we know today is another example of the "hype" that surrounds this casualty of acid excess , Floyd were in fact a more commercial proposition with Syds input as evidenced by the success of the early singles Arnold Lane and See Emily Play (both of which I bought :D ) After his departure the band moved on to produce increasingly darker , sinister psychedelic and ultimately brilliant material under the guidance of Roger Waters and David Gilmore , the two members of the band who imo are the true soul and architects of the legend that is Pink Floyd .If Barrett had remained with the band it's my opinion that the Floyd we know and love may never have "happend as it was only Barretts departure that enabled the arrival of Dave Gilmore .

As mentioned earlier , nothing against Syd , credit where credit is due BUT in proper measure please.

RIP Syd .
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby red37 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:35 am

woof woof ! wrote:If Barrett had remained with the band it's my opinion that the Floyd we know and love may never have "happend as it was only Barretts departure that enabled the arrival of Dave Gilmore .

thats the point im making.  love or loathe him and with or without the guy, the "sound" if you like, of pink floyd would never have evolved if it hadnt been for barrett.
purely infact due to the writings of waters and gilmour post his exit. a big part of pink floyd remains the 'keeping alive of syd's ghost' or at least the sadness felt at such a waste is felt tangibly within their sublime lyrics and sonic endeavours.

fwiw i dislike some of the early material myself, and as you say youself, the mere fact those singles were purchased isnt something down to taste but more of a kind of 'reflection' of the listeners state of mind at that moment. plus the simple fact that they were quite obviously different to the norm. (the band that is). and thats always refreshing.

but there is a lot to identify with, in the 'angst' written into the fabric of much of Waters' musings.
ally that to the quite stupendous Gilmours 'panache' and you have something rather special, most would concede.

none of which could have formed itself into the conscience had it not been for syd barrett, at least the very decrescendo of his involvement anyway. but conversely also, because of it.

but beside all that, 'commercial' pink floyd became in 1979 not 1968. possibly the very thought of such a state of affairs happening to barretts 'baby' pre-empted his demise at such an early stage?  roger waters echoes much of the same with his Wall vision. barriers put there to represent his troubled friend? or just paranoid brilliance played out in theatre.

in any case. its easy to dismiss the band as being better off since syd barrett left. but the reality is, without syd barrett we wouldnt be discussing the merits of either scenario.

anyway at the risk of this becoming ever more "chicken and egg"  it would be nice just to live with the fact the guy has passed away. influential or not. had it been roger waters death, im sure the reaction would've been quite different.. maybe justifyably so.... either way a light has gone out. and im off for a brew   :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:43 am

Spot on Red.

Without Syd, there would be no Shine on You Crazy Diamond, no Wish you Were Here, no Wall etc etc.

Rest in peace Syd - you stranger, you legend, you martyr.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:42 pm

My favourite Floyd album is 'Wish You Were Here' by a country mile. 

Then 'The Wall', 'Dark Side of The Moon', and 'Division Bell' in that order.  I'll be honest, they are the only Floyd albums I own. 

Not heard much of Syd Barratt's stuff, if any. 

But he did inspire Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which blew me away when I first heard it and I went and bought 'Wish You Were Here' almost immediately on the strength of Part 1 alone, before I'd proper had a listen to the rest of the album, which is also incredible as well.

So thank you Syd and RIP.
jonnymac1979

Postby taff » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:09 pm

woof woof ! wrote:

Why ?

He made one album with pink floyd and his solo stuff sucked . Got nothing against the guy but he's been seriously overated IMO .

Your probably right but he was/is an icon and we must respect that .  RIP crazy diamond
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:42 pm

taff wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:

Why ?

Your probably right but he was/is an icon and we must respect that .  RIP crazy diamond

F'ucks sake , sorry Taff but to all those that are heaping praise on Syd ,how many of you have the first two Floyd albums ? and how many of you saw Floyd perform back in the '60's ? .

Enough of the Dieification please .He wasn't a f'ucking icon , when was the last time any of you thought about him ? He was loved by his mates who never forgot him , it took his death for the media and others to suddenly proclaim his importance .

Bollox .

:kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:49 pm

ps f'uck "Dark side of the Moon" and "Wish You Were Here" that was Floyd finally deciding to make some money, drop a tab and have a listen to "Meddle" ,"Atom Heart Mother" and "Obscured By Clouds" then talk to me about Pink Floyd .  :kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby taff » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:18 pm

To be honest I can take em or leave em, have seen them and enjoyed and done the shroom trip etc listening to them but they aint my main thing.

You know more than me about them and I respect your views but my argument is he is an icon for whatever reasons and I not being a huge Floyd fan have heard about him, seems like all Floyd fans have Syd stories and for that I respect him and RIP

His spirit seems to be strong in that band from what Ive seen but I do concede to your knowledge about his musical contribution but it aint really about that IMO

We love the flawed genius and the self destruct personality,  Dudley Moore was more succesful than Cooke for example.

:)
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby luvliverpool » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:30 am

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

So for that I say thank you Sid

RIP
Anfield The Home And Heart Of Football
luvliverpool

Return to General Chat Forum