Sky sports news

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Dundalk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:46 pm

Just found this :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

The music comes from an epic movie trailer; the set comes courtesy of the ‘serious news’ section of Ikea and infobars come from absolutely everywhere. Ladies and gentlemen we’re on a whole new level here: it’s Sky Sports News 2.0.

After years of the dreary light blue set we’ve instead got a new dark blue set. I know, I was shocked too. They even have handy tabs for each news item that appears on the large infobar below the presenters.

Basically, if it says ‘Dennis Wise has been confirmed as an :censored:’, then the story comes under a handy heading saying ‘League One’. Not that you’d confuse a Leeds story with anything that has some relation to the Premiership.

If we’re told that Steve Davis can’t compete in the World Championships because of a sprained hand, we’ll know by the ‘Snooker’ tab that it’s referring to the former world champion. Not the Norn Iron midfielder at Lawrie Sanchez’s Fulham. Genius, I’d of been lost otherwise.

Above the large infobar with all the tabs, another red skinny infobar runs over it with fixtures and – should you be lucky to see it – a further infobar runs above this in times of ‘Breaking News’. ‘Breaking News’ is always yellow by the way, always.

The concept of ‘Breaking News’ is a loose one at Sky Sports News. This is not a new practice though, this is something that has been the backbone of the channel for a good five years or so now. Leighton Baines signing for Everton is definitely breaking news. Henry leaving for Barcelona is breaking news. Perhaps even Southampton turning down Derby’s offer for Kenwyne Jones could be considered worthy of a yellow bar.

But once it’s a slow day and the director upstairs wants a yellow bar he will get one whether a story deserves it or not. A Southend player in a contract dispute – yellow bar. David Beckham says America is “a little bit different, at the end of the day” – give that man a yellow bar. Luton Town announce new shirt sponsor on a two year deal – do you even have to ask, give them two yellow bars. One for each year.

In all honesty, I can slag off this generally meaningless, utterly repetitive form of television as much as I like but do I watch it? Of course I do. What if a real yellow bar story comes up? How can I abandon them? No, no I hang around long enough to hear them read a text from ‘Dave in Surrey’ who says that Carlos Tevez is going to be a “good buy”. Addictive TV at its best.

The presenters can be idiots though at times – in fact every time they deviate from the teleprompter for some “banter”. Today they discussed Sol Campbell making a possible England comeback and went over his international record and in particular his one goal for England against Sweden in 2002.

“Course, that’s the goal that stood. He’s had a few that haven’t,” one of the shiny male presenters said to another shiny male presenter. He was of course referencing the goal that Campbell felt he scored against Argentina in the World Cup in 1998 (when Alan Shearer landed an elbow into the Argies’ keeper); and Campbell’s disallowed effort in the quarter final of the European Championships of 2004 when the Portuguese keeper was shoved behind his line by an England player.

The other presenter then kept up the theme by saying “yeah, yeah, there were a few that didn’t stand, not they should have or anything but… eh they should”. Not only were they being smarmy Little Englanders but they were messing up the whole show.

I wonder did they realise what they were doing to the poor director’s heart? As he went through his notes for the upcoming hour’s news and realised that this little bit of repartee has cost them the few valuable seconds. The very seconds they had to tell people that ‘MK Dons are set to field a full strength side in their final pre-season friendly’. I suppose it can wait until the next hour.

The male presenters might be :censored:; the real news may be scarce; and the info bars may make it impossible to see much of the decent looking female presenters but there is some genius in Sky Sports News. Managing to say an awful lot without saying anything of any importance for 24 hours seven days a week has to be commended.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=uEAKFGBFykE
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby scouser 'til I die » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:41 pm

well said  :buttrock  :bowdown

You'll Never Walk Alone
scouser 'til I die

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:28 am

I like the new look for Sky Sports News.

The music is from the movie "Requiem For A Dream"

But for the most part, the channel is a waste. They should merge it with Sky News, which also needs a new image. They also need to fire Eamonn Holmes.

However Manhattan is not happy that they have replaced THIS as one of their theme songs:

Link
Last edited by The Manhattan Project on Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wavertree » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:39 am

Anybody signed up with Setenta?  ???

Copy&paste:
Sign up for Setanta Sports today and not only will you be able to enjoy LFC TV - the club's brand new dedicated channel - when it launches in September, you'll also be able to watch both of the Reds' friendlies live from Switzerland this week.
Rafael Benitez's side take on Werder Bremen in Grenchen on Tuesday night (7.15pm ko) and then face French outfit Auxerre on Friday in Freiburg (2pm ko).

Record signing Fernando Torres is expected to make his debut in one of the matches while there are also likely to be first starts for fellow new boys Ryan Babel and Yossi Benayoun.

Both matches are live and exclusive on Setanta Sports, who will be bringing you LFC TV as part of its nine channel sports package in the autumn.

LFC TV will be included at no extra cost - the recently reduced price of £9.99 a month applies to the full Setanta Sports Pack, and there is no annual contract.

The channel will also be broadcast live on www.liverpoolfc.tv as part of e-Season Ticket, the official website's premium content service.

What's On LFC TV and When

All Liverpool FC matches in the English Premier League and UEFA Champions League (not live)

At least six hours of original programming content per day, five days a week, fifty two weeks per year

Daily news round-up with all the latest from Anfield and Melwood

Exclusive interviews with the manager, coaching staff and current players

Classic matches from Liverpool's illustrious past

No less than 50% of all friendlies involving the Liverpool football team on a live and exclusive basis

Live studio discussions with former Liverpool stars, supporters, celebrity fans and football experts

LFC TV viewers subscribing to Setanta Sports will receive the club's brand new designated channel plus:
Setanta Sports 1
Setanta Sports 2
Setanta Golf
Racing UK
Racing World
NASN (North American Sports Network)
Celtic TV
Rangers TV

Click here for more information on Setanta Sports and to sign up today>>
LFC TV will also be available to watch live online on liverpoolfc.tv if you subscribe to the official club website's premium content offering, the e-Season Ticket. Click here for more information on the e-Season Ticket>>

Someone saids to me... if u have Sky through Virgin, u getting Setenta free and all LFC's games for nothing... sincerilly, I nevermind how is it working...
wavertree

Postby kunilson » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:12 pm

bah, bloody virgin made me lose sky sports news....even though sky are :censored:, there's nothing to leave on in the background now!

at least setanta are launching setanta sports news soon...
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:49 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:I like the new look for Sky Sports News.

The music is from the movie "Requiem For A Dream"

But for the most part, the channel is a waste. They should merge it with Sky News, which also needs a new image. They also need to fire Eamonn Holmes.

However Manhattan is not happy that they have replaced THIS as one of their theme songs:

Link

Great song from requiem, its called Lux Aeterna, also used in lord of the rings, the da vinci code and smoking aces... and used in the trailers for about 50 different films:

got to hear the full song tho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWHlKAsBNA

check out the sin city remix, kidna kicks the sh!te out of sky sports :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go9rF46DukU
Last edited by dawson99 on Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:08 am

I preferred it the way it was :(

If only they could get Ron Burgandy
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:20 am

kunilson wrote:bah, bloody virgin made me lose sky sports news....even though sky are :censored:, there's nothing to leave on in the background now!

Hi Kunilson. I'm not too sure about this but I've been told that if you subscribe to a certain Virgin package you get Setanta for FREE !

Setanta is Ch 538 on Virgin . May be worth asking virgin how much it costs to upgrade your current TV package  as it might be less than the £9.99 subscription ............

Worth a try .. :p
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:27 am

Dalglish wrote:
kunilson wrote:bah, bloody virgin made me lose sky sports news....even though sky are :censored:, there's nothing to leave on in the background now!

Hi Kunilson. I'm not too sure about this but I've been told that if you subscribe to a certain Virgin package you get Setanta for FREE !

Setanta is Ch 538 on Virgin . May be worth asking virgin how much it costs to upgrade your current TV package  as it might be less than the £9.99 subscription ............

ill look into that....cheers for the info.

i know for sure the sports news channel will be free...just a matter of when they launch it.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby daxy1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:41 am

Dalglish wrote:

your right mate i have the xl package and it is included in the price i nearly had a s£x wee in my pants when i found out!

daxy1
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 1:29 pm

This new SSN look is naff. The info bars thingy at the bottom, gives the impression (with the red button next to it) that you can go into each 'TAB' and read whats happening. The bar itself is too narrow, therefore the text isn't clear enough. All the Navy/Red stuff makes for hard work on the eyes. The whole thing is too cluttered.

Oh and whats with the score/time display on Live games being at the bottom of the screen now? Daft. Change for the sake of it...

It was s.hit before, but now its almost unwatchable...except for Millie  :eyebrow

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:55 pm

If you have freeview you might only have 6 weeks left of sky sports news and sky news. they will be placing news top up channels there soon....if they get the ok.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:38 pm

red37 wrote:It was s.hit before, but now its almost unwatchable...except for Millie  :eyebrow

:bowdown
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum