Setanta 'is on brink of collapse' - If they go under, do we ?

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby tonyeh » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:16 pm

Kharhaz wrote:
Liverpool have stressed they remain committed to the club's television channel despite the collapse of Setanta, the platform on which it was broadcast.

The Irish company went off the air just before 6pm having gone into administration earlier today.

Liverpool will continue to broadcast via their website and are hopeful of getting the channel back on television screens as soon as possible.

"LFC TV is currently broadcasting as normal and will continue to do so until further notice," said a club statement.

"However, following the announcement that Setanta GB is no longer trading, there may be some disruption to our service for UK television viewers.

"While we continue to produce live and pre-recorded content for the channel as normal, we are urgently investigating all possibilities available to us in returning to broadcasting in the British Isles as quickly as possible.

"We're continuing to monitor developments but wish to point out that our online and international viewers should remain unaffected and that Liverpool Football Club remains committed to the future of LFC TV."

As long as sites like Sopcast exist, i'll be ok ! Online streaming is the way to go. Can anyone remember when ITV bought the rights to show lower league football matches live? And they went bust. John Motson said at that time, it wont work because then there will be too much football. Whatever the opinion of Motson, he was right. The public have contributed to Setantas downfall. And with good cause. I acquired extra channels, not because I asked for them, but its part of a package with Virgin. We have the phone and the internet, I was given the TV as it is part of a package deal they offer. But lets look at why Setanta have gone bust.

First off, the TV licence. You cannot watch a TV without this. Then there is freeview. More channels, at a low cost which peaks our interest. None of the channels on freeview offer sports.  So to get a chance to watch your team you have to upgrade to a sky box or virgin. The cost so far TV Licence, Freeview ( if you have paid for it ) then sky or virgin. You now have the sky channels. But you still cannot watch your team as Setanta have the rights to show so many matches, so now you pay for TV Licence, sky or virgin and setanta. It just works out cheaper to travel to each game and pay for the bloody ticket !

Like I said, online streaming is the way to go. LFC.TV have now gone to facebook. You pay for an E-season on the website to get to see certain articles, old matches and the like, you also have facebook shoved in your face to prove your a supporter. No thanks, I dont like being robbed, I especially dont like having to be "hip" to support the club.

My overrall opinion of Setanta is this, you tried to rob us, and failed miserably. So long suckers.

That's all well and good, so long as some fecker doesn't come along and closes sites like Iraqgoals or Livefootydoctor, or shuts down facilities like Sopcast and TVAnts.

...and that will happen one day.

Then where will ya be?

Personally, I was delighted will Setanta's Liverpool coverage. But I get it cheap in Ireland, cos it was part of a basic package.

Either way, there's no fucking way Murdoch is getting any money from me.
tonyeh

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:38 pm

tonyeh wrote:That's all well and good, so long as some fecker doesn't come along and closes sites like Iraqgoals or Livefootydoctor, or shuts down facilities like Sopcast and TVAnts.

...and that will happen one day.

Then where will ya be?

Personally, I was delighted will Setanta's Liverpool coverage. But I get it cheap in Ireland, cos it was part of a basic package.

Either way, there's no fucking way Murdoch is getting any money from me.

Wont happen. For that to happen more money has to spent on monitoring the internet, which would mean an end to torrents also and file sharing as we know it.

Look at people who get their box chipped. For something like a fiver a month (or whatever price the basic is) they can get all channels. Will the sky or virgin do anything about it? no, it will cost money. They rely on people grassing up people with chipped boxes, its cheaper. Theres always a way around things, and its usually dishonest which is why so many people take the view of "sod em, they are trying to rob us".
Last edited by Kharhaz on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:44 am

Oh yeh?

There was a British TV LINKs site closed down last year, even though it was operating in the same way that Iraqgoals does. It was simply links, which is the standard defence of websites that stream content, like our beloved footie matches.

Never say never.

All it'll take is the "right" bit of legislation.
tonyeh

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 pm

ESPN ANNOUNCE PLAN FOR NEW UK CHANNEL

ESPN to Launch its First High Definition Channel in Europe

ESPN and BSkyB Confirm Distribution, Retail and Ad Sales Deals

ESPN plan to launch a new channel in the UK on 3rd August called ‘ESPN,’ which will televise 46 Barclays Premier League matches this coming season, it was announced today by Lynne Frank, Managing Director, ESPN for Europe, Middle East and Africa. Frank also announced the channel will be made available in both standard definition (SD) and high-definition (HD), making the UK based premium sports channel the company’s first HD channel in Europe.

The new channel will offer live Barclays Premier League football, international sports and a wide-range of premium U.S. sports previously provided on ESPN America, which will be integrated in the UK into the new channel.

As part of the new arrangement, Sky will retail ESPN to both its residential and commercial customers. Sky will make ESPN available on a premium subscription basis to all Sky homes. This means that all live Barclays Premier League matches will be available in HD to Sky homes. ESPN will appear in the Sky Guide at channel number 417 in SD and channel 443 in HD.

ESPN Classic (Sky Guide 442), which showcases the greatest moments in sport, will remain within the ‘News and Events’ pack. For Sky’s commercial customers, all ESPN channels will be included within Sky’s ‘Ultimate’ channel pack. ESPN HD will be available at no extra cost to those who subscribe to ESPN and have Sky’s HD Pack. Sky has confirmed that Sky Sports subscribers will be able to subscribe to ESPN for £9 per month while other Sky customers will be able to subscribe from £12 per month.

ESPN will contract Sky Sports’ in-house production team to produce its Premier League matches. The coverage will utilise dedicated ESPN graphics and analysis. ESPN plan to create original studio shows to support their Barclays Premier League matches and other sports coverage. Further details on ESPN’s production, including studio analysts and commentators, will be announced in due course.

In addition, Sky Media, Sky’s ad sales house, will sell advertising inventory for both ESPN and ESPN Classic.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Dunno about everyone else but the Liverpool FC channel on Sky has not seen any drop of coverage since Setanta shut down.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:51 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:Dunno about everyone else but the Liverpool FC channel on Sky has not seen any drop of coverage since Setanta shut down.

there was some announcement of somebody else hosting it or something for the short term.
JoeTerp

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:14 pm

I never had Sky ,for the obvious reasons ,so I really miss Setanta used to love the football and boxing coverage ,even started watching the Blue Square games ,I thought Football Matters :censored:*d over anything Sky had, especially when they introduced Darren Farley .....

So I will shed a little tear over Setanta's unfortunate  demise ,I think they were basically on the right lines with a bit of fine tuning.  :(
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:16 pm

redbeergoggles wrote:I never had Sky ,for the obvious reasons ,so I really miss Setanta used to love the football and boxing coverage ,even started watching the Blue Square games ,I thought Football Matters :censored:*d over anything Sky had, especially when they introduced Darren Farley .....

So I will shed a little tear over Setanta's unfortunate  demise ,I think they were basically on the right lines with a bit of fine tuning.  :(

me too mate,ive never had sky an never will for the same obvious reasons. i totally agree mate i'm really p1ssed off setanta have gone down the pan, yes some of the pundits & commentators were totally sh1t,clueless but it was one of my main souce of info as to updates on LFC. i'm just glad thet i still have LFC TV on my package with setanta,which was part of my negotiations with them in the fist place.

if they wanted my business,then i insisted that they gave me LFC TV as part of the deal in the first place, so glad it's still their cause it is so special to me to have up to date info on eerything connected with the club- the ressy's,youth accademy, great games in our history etc.

fecking sky must be gloating, well feck off murdoch you will never get my hard earned money, i wil just have to make sure the streams i access for games that i can't get to are spot on an don't have anything to do with sky or any channel connected with the s*n or people connected with the likes of.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby Feeney » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28 pm

Dundalk wrote:ESPN Classic (Sky Guide 442), which showcases the greatest moments in sport, will remain within the ‘News and Events’ pack.

Ha, just put this channel on and its us v Charlton when we thumped them 4 nil to qualify for CL for first time  :buttrock

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:40 pm

Presenters for the new ESPN channel

No James Richardson   :down:
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 pm

No Charlotte Jackson more importantly!!!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to General Chat Forum