Roy "chubby" brown

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 09, 2007 12:11 am

Just watched the documentary on channel 4 and have to say, hes right up there with the funniest comedians ever !
Much of what he comes out with is very offensive but I think we can all agree that through out his perfomance we agree with whatever offensive comment he comes out with ! Not everything mind, just a few comments agrees with each of us, something that is offensive to others but not us !
One that made me laugh "How do you get a 1000  refugees in a shoe box?? tell em it floats !"

CLASS !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 09, 2007 12:23 am

I just saw it too.

He's a product of his environment really. A reflection of the attitudes of certain segments of society.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 09, 2007 12:30 am

Or perhaps the time rather than the place, hes good friends with Bernard Manning however chubbs isnt as racist as him I feel, maybe just a more open mind to racism than present day comedians.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 09, 2007 12:48 am

True, I do think that much of the material is based on absurdly outdated or inaccurate stereotypes. He mentioned that his idea of Africans is that "they hav a bone in dey noozes don't de?" and that would naturally get laughs if the audience is unenlightened. I don't expect them to laugh or even understand if someone explained Africa in greater detail to them. The problem is the reinforcement of stereotypes. It's fine if the audience understands that its all just a joke and the subject of the joke is just a characature and no such people actually do exist. It's if they take it seriously that is the concern. It's not Chubby Brown who alarms me, but rather his audience. Some of what he said in the documentary I tend to agree with in the sense that immigrants do need to integrate within a larger community (although the "larger community" must equally be willing to embrace them). He just says it in a cruder way.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed May 09, 2007 12:54 am

In a way its like Warren Mitchell who played Alf Garnett, Warren was approached by a fan of the show who agreed with Alf's views of black people in which Warren replied its not having a go at black people, its having a go at people like you. Roys overall point is each and every person has there own view and we shouldnt shadow the views people disagree with.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:22 am

I like Roy chubby Brown and I also like Mike Reids stand up. Both are ever so crude, but like Manhattan says its upto the audience to take it with a pinch of salt.
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:22 am

whatever you think of him, he always has work and large audiences.
112-1077774096

Postby Rafa D » Wed May 09, 2007 7:33 am

I used to find him really funny. He's a good comedian there's just a lot better out there now.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed May 09, 2007 1:10 pm

To a lot of older (especially less educated people) people who look funny (i.e. not white) speak funny (i.e. not an english accent) have a funny religion (i.e. not christian) are people to laugh at.

I haven't seen him. you can tell funny jokes about religion,colour, nationality etc as in the programme "curb your enthusiasm" or Chris Rock etc but you never feel they or their audience are racist.

If somebody like Eddie Izzard told an Irish joke, I'd know it is tongue in cheek and have a laugh but if Manning did it I'd feel that he actually believed it.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum