Rogers is gay, he's admitted it!

Please use this forum for general Non-Football related chat

Postby kazza » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Former Leeds midfielder and USA international Robbie Rogers has announced he is gay.

The 25-year-old American, who left League One side Stevenage last month, wrote on his blog that he had been afraid of revealing his sexuality but had now decided to "step away" from football.

Rogers, who has made 18 appearances for the United States, wrote: "Secrets can cause so much internal damage. People love to preach about honesty, how honesty is so plain and simple. Try explaining to your loved ones after 25 years you are gay.

"Try convincing yourself that your creator has the most wonderful purpose for you even though you were taught differently."

He added: "I will never forget the friends I have made along the way and the friends that supported me once they knew my secret.

"Now is my time to step away. It's time to discover myself away from football."

Bolton midfielder Stuart Holden has tweeted his support for his fellow USA international.

He wrote: "Much love and respect to my boy @robbierogers! Proud to be your friend bro."

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor told Sky Sports News: "It's unfortunate he has announced it after retiring. This is a testing time and it takes the first player to come out ideally during his career.

"Otherwise it's always going to be difficult. We are aware some players wish to remain anonymous but we wish to provide a safe environment regardless of sexual orientation, creed or colour. We need to make sure football moves on."

Clarke Carlisle, chairman of the PFA's management committee, wrote on his

account: "Huge admiration for @robbierogers - I hope retirement is not because of this revelation, you have our respect & support wherever you go!"

Darren Bailey, the Football Association's director of football governance and regulation, pledged to back Rogers in any way required.

He told Sky Sports News: "Following the announcement by Robbie Rogers on Friday, the FA is trying to make contact with him offering our support. Whether Robbie stays in the game or steps away for a break he has our full backing."
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:49 pm

I don't understand why professional athletes go publically and announce they are homosexuals.

can't they just keep it private, tell their collegues and not seek any attention?
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:22 pm

He's a public figure metalhead, it would have came out eventually. I guess he just wanted to get it off his chest.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:31 pm

metalhead » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:49 pm wrote:I don't understand why professional athletes go publically and announce they are homosexuals.

can't they just keep it private, tell their collegues and not seek any attention?

I actually think it was a very brave thing to do.  Think of the thousands of homosexuals who commit suicide yearly because they feel shamed and can't come to grips with the reactions their families may have.  Maybe some of them will think, "Hey, if he can have the courage to come out publicly, maybe I can tell my family and friends who I really am."
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:18 am

Don't ask, don't tell  :)
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Its 21st century who gives a toss what his sexuality is
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

laza » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am wrote:Its 21st century who gives a toss what his sexuality is

Chicks.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:27 pm

babu » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 pm wrote:
laza » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 am wrote:Its 21st century who gives a toss what his sexuality is

Chicks.

Can chicks "toss"?

I thought they "poked"  :laugh:
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Thanks Laza, some sense in the thread mate.

Bizarre that gay footballers can't be open about it. I have a few gay friends and think nothing of it.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Don't know what all the fuss is about.................I've been a Lesbian for years ! :)

But seriously............Its big news because not a single player in the English game has ever come out and reveled their Gay. Football appears to be one of the last bastion's of Homophobia and the backlash (pardon the Pun) would be significant and sadly reflect the narrow mindedness of "some" fans.

As in all these kinds of issues it will have to take one very brave individual to open the floodgates and challenge the bigots.

This Ex Leeds and USA International is exactly that, an EX player but it's a step in the right direction I suppose.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Remember when football players (Fowler) made fun of Graham Le Saux for being gay? He was never gay as I know he is married with kids as i have seen him with his wife a number of times. The reason why he was "gay" is because he had completed his college education (a rare thing in the football world). So that is football players for you, you are deemed gay because you got your degree, so what do you expect?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Michael Barrymore was married with kids for years before he came out.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to General Chat Forum